The Blue Note Thread

So actually already received my Midnight Blue SRX, which is much faster than expected considering my Idle Moments SRX took over a month to get here.

Blown away by how good it sounds. Worth every penny.
My Speak No Evil is held up at the Jersey City distribution center...was supposed to be delivered last Wednesday. Excited to receive it and give it a spin!

Does anyone know the stories behind the covers for Lou Donaldson's Alligator Boogaloo and Mr. Shing-A-Ling? Both are Reid Miles covers but so out of the norm in many ways for BN covers of the time. But if he was going for spaceage bachelor pad stewardess I guess he got it right.
View attachment 29897
I noticed today that it actually looks like the same woman on both of those covers. I guess her name is Peggy Moffit, and she was a model who was also married to William Claxton, who was a prominent jazz photographer. He took the session photos that were included in the recent Chet Baker Tone Poet release.

From a press release for a book of William Claxton's jazz photography (available here: Elemental Music Presents New Additions to the Jazz Images Series | Francis Wolff & William Claxton - DL Media Music):

"...Claxton’s airy, open approach that airlifted the musicians out of the smoky club setting and into the natural atmosphere of the outdoors for what the photographer described as jazz for the eyes...

William Claxton also had an affiliation with a major jazz label as art director of Pacific Jazz Records. This led to a close relationship with Chet Baker, and the book contains 22 images of the iconic and highly photogenic trumpeter. As a native of California, Claxton’s focus was primarily on the West Coast – both its jazz scene and its wide-open sunny environment. That didn’t lessen the intensity of his artistry, just shifted the vibe from the confined to the limitless. And while there is an overall sense of joy and exuberance to his work, he could also create a powerful aura of intensity. This is evidenced by his images of Bill Evans scrunched over the keyboard in contorted internal passion; Stan Getz, playing with face in shadow under the light outside a stage door in Hollywood; Clifford Brown, elbows tight against his ribcage with face compressed as he births a tale from his horn.

It was Claxton’s style to bring the artist out of the expected musical environment and into the healthy outside world. Cannonball Adderley’s quintet clustered under a Chinese beach umbrella on a sunny California beach; Chet Baker hanging arched from the mast on a sailboat above his bandmates; Charlie Byrd playing alone under a tree over the Potomac River; Donald Byrd pensively playing seated among a group of riders on NYC’s “A”Train; John Coltrane, leaning against on a railing in the Guggenheim Museum; the Kenton band in stark silhouette with horns held high in the air outside the Rendezvous Ballroom on the beach in Balboa; Ramsey Lewis’ Trio on the streets of Chicago; Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Max Roach and Kenny Dorham against the Newport RI backdrop on an impromptu stage during the Newport Rebels counter-festival.; Thelonious Monk on the back of a San Francisco streetcar; Art Pepper climbing a hilly street in LA; Sonny Rollins cradling his horn under one arm at the Joshua Tree Monument in California."

Is anyone familiar with this series of Jazz Images photography books?

As for these particular covers though, it looks like the best internet source is this post on what appears to be Nepali facebook:

https://ne-np.facebook.com/bluenote/videos/lou-donaldson-mr-shing-a-ling/2418842538438175/

The animation at that link is kind of cool, showing how the images for Mr. Shing-a-ling were put together.

ALSO - I'm listening to both of these records right now and the highlight of both records has to be Lonnie Smith on the organ. His song "Peepin'" on Mr. Shing-A-Ling is just too much fun and seems like it totally outshines the other songs on that record.

Just got my AP 45RPM press of Somethin Else and I’m absolutely floored. This is my best sounding record by far some how, the horns clarity makes your skin crawl and each stroke on the piano feels like a little raindrop on my brain in the best possible way. If you missed out on the MMJ drop or simply would like to give your money to a better company I HIGHLY recommend jumping on this press while it’s still in stock. AP already has it listed as “Limited Stock”.

On another note does anyone know if AP will send out a replacement jacket if asked? The spine on the cover has the beginnings of a seam split on it which is a bummer. Also @MikeH your Art Farmer/Jim Hall PIF got here safe and sound going to spin it right after Cannonball 🔥

I'm thinking about doing this....was it $75 when you bought yours? or did they raise it recently? A few of the reviews/comments on the store page mentions that they got it for $50 (but I guess that was back in 2013), and even then, they were complaining that the package should have been nicer at that price point. It seems like their prices might be creeping up to the levels of the MMJ sets, even though it sounds like the cover isn't quite as fancy.

I was also thinking about snagging the Idle moments AP 45 rpm, since it's only $55, but it looks like there are complaints about clicking sounds on that particular release.

Part of me wants to just get the BN75 versions of Somethin' Else and Moanin' and Blue Train and save my money and stop thinking about spending this kind of money haha.

I'm thinking about doing this....was it $75 when you bought yours? or did they raise it recently? A few of the reviews/comments on the store page mentions that they got it for $50 (but I guess that was back in 2013), and even then, they were complaining that the package should have been nicer at that price point. It seems like their prices might be creeping up to the levels of the MMJ sets, even though it sounds like the cover isn't quite as fancy.

I was also thinking about snagging the Idle moments AP 45 rpm, since it's only $55, but it looks like there are complaints about clicking sounds on that particular release.

Part of me wants to just get the BN75 versions of Somethin' Else and Moanin' and Blue Train and save my money and stop thinking about spending this kind of money haha.
I grabbed the AP Something Else around memorial day. It's $75 but there was a 15% off coupon (I think there's another one that expires tonight). So it came out to around $64 with free shipping for me. I grabbed Midnight Blue AP as well for around $40 in the same sale.

Also, I have a different pressing of Somethin Else if you have any interest in buying it for cheap as a placeholder copy. It sadly has the alternate cover art which I'm not a big fan of but I recall it sounding pretty decent actually.

I grabbed the AP Something Else around memorial day. It's $75 but there was a 15% off coupon (I think there's another one that expires tonight). So it came out to around $64 with free shipping for me. I grabbed Midnight Blue AP as well for around $40 in the same sale.

Also, I have a different pressing of Somethin Else if you have any interest in buying it for cheap as a placeholder copy. It sadly has the alternate cover art which I'm not a big fan of but I recall it sounding pretty decent actually.

Thanks. Yeah, there is a 15% off coupon right now. I didn't realize it ended tonight, haha! YIKES lol

Thanks for offering, but I might just get the BN75 of it for the cover art, the way the labels look, and based on this review:

Not sure about Maiden Voyage, but I prefer my BN75 of Somethin' Else over the Japanese King pressing I have, so there are definitely some good ones out there.

I’m in the same boat as Mike, got it for 15% at like $64 shipped. I was down to sacrifice a quality gatefold for the sound quality, it was a worthy trade off. It’s still a nice glossy sturdy one pocket jacket but certainly could be better. I also consider Somethin Else to be one of my favorite jazz records ever and wanted to own a AAA copy of it, if you’re a casual fan of it maybe opt for something else. I’d also suggest tracking down a 1977 Japanese King Pressing of Moanin’. Got mine on eBay earlier this year for about $35! Think you could find a good deal on one on eBay or cogs still!

Speaking to Somethin Else. Analogue Productions sent me a replacement copy for it because mine arrived with a minor seam split and a minor warp, it didn’t affect playback on mine and still sounds STELLAR but was not what I’ve come to expect of AP. SO, if anyone is interested in saving some cash and buying that copy off of me shoot me a DM. The original price was $75 but I think I’m looking for $50 (so I can buy another AP press 😂), if that sounds good shoot me a message and I’ll send photos of the split!

Speaking to Somethin Else. Analogue Productions sent me a replacement copy for it because mine arrived with a minor seam split and a minor warp, it didn’t affect playback on mine and still sounds STELLAR but was not what I’ve come to expect of AP. SO, if anyone is interested in saving some cash and buying that copy off of me shoot me a DM. The original price was $75 but I think I’m looking for $50 (so I can buy another AP press 😂), if that sounds good shoot me a message and I’ll send photos of the split!
damn! cool that they sent you a full replacement instead of just a new sleeve.

Back