The Blue Note Thread

It looks like Music Matters will be releasing Soul Station by Hank Mobley and Search For The New Land by Lee Morgan on SRX in the next week or so. If you had to choose only one, which would it be? I am trying not to bankrupt my household, especially with so many other essentials coming down that SRX pipeline in the coming months.

Also, has anyone been able to compare the SRX and regular pressings from Music Matters? I'm asking because the Lee Morgan record is available on 33 RPM standard vinyl for $60, which is a bit cheaper than the SRX will be.

It looks like Music Matters will be releasing Soul Station by Hank Mobley and Search For The New Land by Lee Morgan on SRX in the next week or so. If you had to choose only one, which would it be? I am trying not to bankrupt my household, especially with so many other essentials coming down that SRX pipeline in the coming months.

Also, has anyone been able to compare the SRX and regular pressings from Music Matters? I'm asking because the Lee Morgan record is available on 33 RPM standard vinyl for $60, which is a bit cheaper than the SRX will be.

Soul Station is more essential IMO.

Also I think the standard vinyl Lee Morgan you're referring to that is in stock is the 45 not the 33.

Soul Station is more essential IMO.

Also I think the standard vinyl Lee Morgan you're referring to that is in stock is the 45 not the 33.
Yep, it’s the 45.

Search For The New Land is more essential to me, although I’ll be grabbing both.

And damn, thought they’d be dropping today.
Been 4 weeks since the last two

Yep, it’s the 45.

Search For The New Land is more essential to me, although I’ll be grabbing both.

And damn, thought they’d be dropping today.
Been 4 weeks since the last two

Agh that complicates things. I may wind up buying both then. I can do 45 RPM but I try to avoid it when possible. Jazz is lounging music for me.

I'll need to find a 50 or 60 dollar 33 RPM to get that free shipping. Maybe Our Man In Paris or True Blue. Been really digging Tina Brooks ever since Tone Poets introduced him to me with Minor Move.

Agh that complicates things. I may wind up buying both then. I can do 45 RPM but I try to avoid it when possible. Jazz is lounging music for me.

I'll need to find a 50 or 60 dollar 33 RPM to get that free shipping. Maybe Our Man In Paris or True Blue. Been really digging Tina Brooks ever since Tone Poets introduced him to me with Minor Move.

True Blue is one of my personal favorite Blue Notes. Love his chemistry with Freddie Hubbard. Pairs well with the Open Sesame they did a BN80 of.

Search for a New Land is one of my all time favorite post-bop dates while Soul Station is more hard bop. For me, the Lee Morgan date is more essential.

To clarify, I regard Search for a New Land just as much as Soul Station, but from an unbiased, universal point of view I would say that the consensus seems to be critically that Soul Station is higher on practically every top essential Blue Note albums list, at least more often that Search for a New Land. Soul Station is definitely straight Hard Bop compared to ...New Land leaning more towards Post-Bop. Just something I noticed from when I was starting to get into a jazz a while ago and looking for recommendations for which albums were considered the most essential.

Search for a New Land is one of my all time favorite post-bop dates while Soul Station is more hard bop. For me, the Lee Morgan date is more essential.

With tax returns coming back and all debt more or less paid off, I think I am just going to go with both, and then grab True Blue as well. Next month I only want the Grant Geen (never been the biggest fan of Maiden Voyage. I know, blasphemy) and the month after that I am only looking at Somethin Else. May looks like its gonna make a dent in the wallet with Wayne Shorter and Kenny Burrell.

These SRX releases are damn pricey, but after picking up Blue Train, Song for my Father, and Afro-Cuban, I am hooked. Its really cool that in this recent run they are printing a lot of the absolute essentials. Idle Moments is going to sound so friggin good.

With tax returns coming back and all debt more or less paid off, I think I am just going to go with both, and then grab True Blue as well. Next month I only want the Grant Geen (never been the biggest fan of Maiden Voyage. I know, blasphemy) and the month after that I am only looking at Somethin Else. May looks like its gonna make a dent in the wallet with Wayne Shorter and Kenny Burrell.

These SRX releases are damn pricey, but after picking up Blue Train, Song for my Father, and Afro-Cuban, I am hooked. Its really cool that in this recent run they are printing a lot of the absolute essentials. Idle Moments is going to sound so friggin good.
True Blue, Search For, and Soul Station are three of my most played Blue Notes but for some reason I’ve never bought the MM of Search and Soul Station even though I have solid early pressings. I would say pick up both if you can (which it sounds like you will).

I've been sampling the upcoming TP titles and I'm super impressed with Bobby Hutcherson's "Oblique". His interplay with Herbie Hancock is superb, the bass and drums are super tight, and the compositions are intricate and sort of dark. I'll wait until the vinyl is released, but it will most likely occupy a high spot in my personal TP and BN80 ranking.

I was really bummed when I sat on Afro-Cuban and missed out on it. Arrrrrg.

New Music Matters SRX titles are up.

Just bought both along with True Blue. Can't wait to hear em!

Had them both in my cart along with Joe Henderson’s Page One, but $56 international shipping (for 3 records) made me pause. How did shipping go up $8 in a month for the same number of records? Hmmm...

We did have a significant price hike at the US Postal Service last month.

Had them both in my cart along with Joe Henderson’s Page One, but $56 international shipping (for 3 records) made me pause. How did shipping go up $8 in a month for the same number of records? Hmmm...
I recommend you find a third party shipper from the US to the UK. With such a service I pay only $15, sometimes $12 with promo, to ship 3 records all the way to Singapore. Mine doesn’t ship to the UK, only to Singapore but there are plenty others for the UK. Just choose a reputable one with good rates

Edit
I just did a quick check out of curiosity and this service provider charges $19.99 to ship 3 lbs to the UK. I have neither used this nor am I endorsing this site. This is for illustration only.

Last edited:
Back