The Blue Note Thread

I recommend you find a third party shipper from the US to the UK. With such a service I pay only $15, sometimes $12 with promo, to ship 3 records all the way to Singapore. Mine doesn’t ship to the UK, only to Singapore but there are plenty others for the UK. Just choose a reputable one with good rates

Edit
I just did a quick check out of curiosity and this service provider charges $19.99 to ship 3 lbs to the UK. I have neither used this nor am I endorsing this site. This is for illustration only.

I appreciate your suggestion.

But... <poof> just like that, they're gone. We often complain about VMPs FOMO tactics, but Music Matters takes FOMO to a whole other level.

I appreciate your suggestion.

But... <poof> just like that, they're gone. We often complain about VMPs FOMO tactics, but Music Matters takes FOMO to a whole other level.

Wow are they seriously out if stock already? There's no way they won't come back. If Moanin and Blue Trane took days to sell out, I can't imagine these two would go in hours...

Suuuuch a bullshit thing they do with that slow rollout of batches for the SRX releases. Hopefully everyone gets one who wants one.

It's not sold out. MM said they hit the threshold of what they can ship out in a timely fashion over the next few days. It will come back in stock once they catch up with orders. I suggest that those who want these titles should sign up for alerts so they don't miss out when they come back in stock.

See the explanation from MM here --> Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

It's not sold out. MM said they hit the threshold of what they can ship out in a timely fashion over the next few days. It will come back in stock once they catch up with orders. I suggest that those who want these titles should sign up for alerts so they don't miss out when they come back in stock.

See the explanation from MM here --> Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)
They also said they sold more than 50% already. Certainly FOMO

”we reached the limit of what we can ship in a reasonable time. We will reopen sales when we catch up. Well over half are spoken for”

They also said they sold more than 50% already. Certainly FOMO

”we reached the limit of what we can ship in a reasonable time. We will reopen sales when we catch up. Well over half are spoken for”
I may be late to the party...these pressings are all limited? I was never aware that they printed once and then stopped. Why wouldn't they keep making more? It seems like these keep selling out, so each run should be money in the bank for them.

I may be late to the party...these pressings are all limited? I was never aware that they printed once and then stopped. Why wouldn't they keep making more? It seems like these keep selling out, so each run should be money in the bank for them.

I assume they have some sort of agreement on how many they have licensed to press from Blue Note.

So that Dodax place a few of you have mentioned before is indeed really cheap. Picked up Basra and Buhaina’s Delight for 15 quid each and Dave Holland’s Conference of the Birds on ECM for the same price. Best prices in the U.K. bar none at the moment for these. Cheers!

Yes, these are all limited pressings. They have sold out in 2019 but for this year, apparently the "final release" of the most prized titles (at a higher price of course) will be rolled out through May 2020. Why not more? Yes, I think licensing limits.

Yes, these are all limited pressings. They have sold out in 2019 but for this year, apparently the "final release" of the most prized titles (at a higher price of course) will be rolled out through May 2020. Why not more? Yes, I think licensing limits.
I would take everything they say or imply with a strong helping of salt. They said, or at least strongly implied they weren't doing any more pressings 4 or 5 years ago when they jacked up the price the first time and tricked people who don't care about colored vinyl into paying $30 extra for colored versions, then pressed more. Then created their new SRX to press more (and charge more). I will only believe they are stopping because of licensing limits if Don Was says so.

So is the idea that they will eventually stop pressing altogether due to these licensing limits? Like, they can release them for X amount of time before they lose the license and close their doors?

Thats interesting. Would also drive the price of all their products into the stratosphere I'm sure, once all is said and done.

Have there been any rumours that they would continue releasing more of the essentials on SRX? There are a few suspiciously missing, like Out to Lunch, Go, Page One, JuJu, etc.

Agree - big grain of salt!

Why no new titles = their master license agreement expired.

Why the SRX repressing = no mastering costs or plating costs, still have room under the old agreement, can charge what they want and the margins are fat.

BTW they did not create SRX, it is just the same vinyl formulation that MOFI uses for their one-shots. MM just use a different name to make it feel exclusive.

Last edited:
Agh that complicates things. I may wind up buying both then. I can do 45 RPM but I try to avoid it when possible. Jazz is lounging music for me.

I'll need to find a 50 or 60 dollar 33 RPM to get that free shipping. Maybe Our Man In Paris or True Blue. Been really digging Tina Brooks ever since Tone Poets introduced him to me with Minor Move.

Not sure if you already put in your order, but imo Our Man in Paris is a top 5 blue note session. Probably my most listened to Music Matters pressing.

Alright Blue Note heads...this kinda worked* when I asked y'all about Grant Green.
(*Not really. I ordered three Green albums and want to order the Idle Hands SRX next month. Whoops.)

If I can only get ONE Stanley Turrentine Tone Poet, which one do I get and why?
Hustlin' (Available Now)
Comin' Your Way (Pre-Order)
That's Where It's At (Available in May)

Alright Blue Note heads...this kinda worked* when I asked y'all about Grant Green.
(*Not really. I ordered three Green albums and want to order the Idle Hands SRX next month. Whoops.)

If I can only get ONE Stanley Turrentine Tone Poet, which one do I get and why?
Hustlin' (Available Now)
Comin' Your Way (Pre-Order)
That's Where It's At (Available in May)
I think I like Hustlin out of all of them. Don’t forget to pick up the Analogue Productions Up At Minton’s Volume 1 for $25. Probably better than all three of those, and has Grant Green on it too.

Back