The Blue Note Thread

Alright Blue Note heads...this kinda worked* when I asked y'all about Grant Green.
(*Not really. I ordered three Green albums and want to order the Idle Hands SRX next month. Whoops.)

If I can only get ONE Stanley Turrentine Tone Poet, which one do I get and why?
Hustlin' (Available Now)
Comin' Your Way (Pre-Order)
That's Where It's At (Available in May)
Personally, I really dig That's Where Its At, due to Les McCann being on that one. He and Turrentine play really well together.

The insane BN/MM eBay auction has a little over 5 hours left. It’s up to $4550 with 40 bids and still hasn’t hit the reserve...wonder what it will sell for although my guess is it doesn’t hit the reserve.

The insane BN/MM eBay auction has a little over 5 hours left. It’s up to $4550 with 40 bids and still hasn’t hit the reserve...wonder what it will sell for although my guess is it doesn’t hit the reserve.
I thought we won?!?!

Alright Blue Note heads...this kinda worked* when I asked y'all about Grant Green.
(*Not really. I ordered three Green albums and want to order the Idle Hands SRX next month. Whoops.)

If I can only get ONE Stanley Turrentine Tone Poet, which one do I get and why?
Hustlin' (Available Now)
Comin' Your Way (Pre-Order)
That's Where It's At (Available in May)

I think That's Where It's At is generally considered as his most "classic" album. Whether you will enjoy it the most out of the three you mentioned, depends on how much you like organ. If organ is one of your go to instruments, then you will probably like Hustlin' better or for Up at Minton's Vol 1. from AP as @mitchwagz suggested.

Yep Reserve was not met and it hit $5,901.
I hate eBay reserves. If you have a minimum price you're willing to accept, just set the damn starting bid at that price.

Yep Reserve was not met and it hit $5,901.
I hate eBay reserves. If you have a minimum price you're willing to accept, just set the damn starting bid at that price.
This happens with most people trying to sell their entire collections. They overvalue it and don’t want to actually sell it. I bet his reserve price was close to list price which he’s never going to get.

Wonder if the reserve was 60k? :unsure:
Probably something like that. Reserves are the absolute worst. If he wanted to get the most out of it, then he’s going to have to break them out and sell them one by one. Either that or take what you can get. $6k for that collection is probably more than what he would get from a record store even if it’s worth at least double that on Discogs.

Wonder if the reserve was 60k? :unsure:
Haha it probably was! I wouldn't want to sell my record collection either and would definitely overprice it...I don't see how the guy doesn't take a loss on it if he ends up selling it as one collection. There was a guy at the WFMU Record Fair last year who was selling his entire original BN collection as well as a Prestige collection. The records were pristine, all original mono pressings. He wouldn't sell any separate and didn't have a price on the collection and just said accepting offers. I didn't even bother to insult him with any offers, but after talking to him for awhile I quickly got the impression that he didn't want to sell these at all and was going through the motions to do so to convince himself that nobody would buy them for a price he was comfortable selling them at. He said he was switching to all CDs since he was getting older and wasn't getting up to flip records as much. I have a feeling this person also doesn't truly want to sell but will have to. I doubt a 2nd auction will top this now even if they get rid of the reserve...

Probably something like that. Reserves are the absolute worst. If he wanted to get the most out of it, then he’s going to have to break them out and sell them one by one. Either that or take what you can get. $6k for that collection is probably more than what he would get from a record store even if it’s worth at least double that on Discogs.
Yeah, I think these days the only people setting reserves (which are almost always unreasonable) are just completely inexperienced with eBay and don't want to actually do some research to find out what they can get.

You probably know, but for those who don't, my 60k was a clumsy reference to Enoch's famous departure from the forum where he tried to defend asking people here to pay what I think was the total median discogs price for his collection, $60k, and acted like he was doing us a favor by letting us know before he listed it anywhere else. Same deal. People living in a dream land thinking that they can get those prices without selling individually.

Yeah, I think these days the only people setting reserves (which are almost always unreasonable) are just completely inexperienced with eBay and don't want to actually do some research to find out what they can get.

You probably know, but for those who don't, my 60k was a clumsy reference to Enoch's famous departure from the forum where he tried to defend asking people here to pay what I think was the total median discogs price for his collection, $60k, and acted like he was doing us a favor by letting us know before he listed it anywhere else. Same deal. People living in a dream land thinking that they can get those prices without selling individually.
Wow totally forgot about that hah.

This is SUCH a great point. Its more than likely that if you have the money to buy a full collection then you are looking to resell (perhaps you have a shop of yourself) so why on earth would you ever pay the average price when there is likely to be records within the collection that you dont want/cant sell......you would just buy individually for the median and be better off as a result.

So I've just ordered my first Blue Note records, all Blue Note 80's. I spent some time going through the discogs information for the series and did some corresponding Apple Music streaming to have some sample pre-listens, but I'll be going in blind on most of these so I'm excited to get my jazz collection padded out.

In the end, I've ordered:

Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner vol 1 & 2
Art Blakey - Indestructible
Art Blakey - Buhaina's Delight
Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright
Grant Green - Alive!
Herbie Hancock - Takin' off
Horace Silver - Doin' the Thing at the Village
Joe Henderson - In'N Out
Lee Konitz - Alone Together
Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo

Not to rehash things, but I'm being a little nosy. I never got the whole story on this. Something about the treatment he got because of sticking with VMP? I always thought he was a great forum member. It just seemed strange to give up on everything.
From what I remember, people got really pissed at him and thought he was a VMP mouthpiece because he met with some of the higher ups at VMP like Lloyd and Matt to talk to them after the decision was made to nuke the forums. I thought people said some really mean things to him, he said mean things back and everything escalated rather quickly. I seem to recall him getting pissed at the mods too at the time. The whole thing got pretty ugly and out of control...I always liked him too and he was super nice to me. Was sad to see him leave the forum.

So I've just ordered my first Blue Note records, all Blue Note 80's. I spent some time going through the discogs information for the series and did some corresponding Apple Music streaming to have some sample pre-listens, but I'll be going in blind on most of these so I'm excited to get my jazz collection padded out.

In the end, I've ordered:

Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner vol 1 & 2
Art Blakey - Indestructible
Art Blakey - Buhaina's Delight
Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright
Grant Green - Alive!
Herbie Hancock - Takin' off
Horace Silver - Doin' the Thing at the Village
Joe Henderson - In'N Out
Lee Konitz - Alone Together
Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo

Great choices! Particularly Alive!, Indestructible and In'N Out !

Thanks - looking forward to hearing them. I’ve heard / read that the pressings are quite good so fingers crossed!
I have had absolutely no complaints about the BN80s so far especially at the price tag. I think it's what BN was hoping the 75th anniversary series would be except that was plagued by quality control issues. The 80s are way better.

I have had absolutely no complaints about the BN80s so far especially at the price tag. I think it's what BN was hoping the 75th anniversary series would be except that was plagued by quality control issues. The 80s are way better.
Sure wish they would run the BN75 titles with the same quality/price point as the BN80s. I would just hand DonWas my wallet.

Back