The Blue Note Thread

Yeah, the only reason I didn't buy any from this sale was the 45RPM factor. I know they are supposed to sound better but to my ears a 33RPM from AP sounds just as good as the 45RPM minus all the flipping!
I went for it because there were 5 titles I don't have and $25 is a good price...

I went for it because there were 5 titles I don't have and $25 is a good price...
Oh yeah, I totally get that...I just know for me personally if I'm reaching for an album in my collection I tend to avoid the ones I have to flip more more often than not.

Oh yeah, I totally get that...I just know for me personally if I'm reaching for an album in my collection I tend to avoid the ones I have to flip more more often than not.
Yea--every once in awhile (like in this sale) I fall for the trap of "oh it's a really good price! i should get that!" and don't sit down long enough to think about how often I will play those albums...I like all the albums I chose so I do think they will get spun just not as often as if they were on 33.

I finally got my order from UDiscover yesterday! And all four albums have significant sleeve damage due to being sent in a box way too big with only one piece of bubble wrap 😕

Sent them an email, here’s hoping replacements won’t take another three months.
I had the same issue of the one piece of bubble wrap, ended up with a few corner dings. Went back and forth for a while, and it ended up not being worth sending them back for me. I talked them into another nice discount for a couple other things I wanted, and asked them to package them better. The next package was fully wrapped and in good condition. Nice to see they didn't just make that change to all their packaging :(

A6C14558-973A-42DD-B960-61EC9F5A2495.jpeg
I had the same issue of the one piece of bubble wrap, ended up with a few corner dings. Went back and forth for a while, and it ended up not being worth sending them back for me. I talked them into another nice discount for a couple other things I wanted, and asked them to package them better. The next package was fully wrapped and in good condition. Nice to see they didn't just make that change to all their packaging :(

Yeah, here’s what the box looked like - the size of the box would have been ok if they just fully wrapped the albums in bubble wrap and tape.

View attachment 32704

Yeah, here’s what the box looked like - the size of the box would have been ok if they just fully wrapped the albums in bubble wrap and tape.
Mine had about 8 albums with one sheet just laying on top :ROFLMAO: You think for companies that sell records as a business, they would think packing them correctly would be a huge deal!

Seems like a lot of the BN80s (and a few TPs) are on sale in the Amazon buy 2 get one free sale. Might be similar to Target, but as a heads up for those of you who have been looking for some of the newer ones.

Does flipping the record more often really bother people that much? I'm always surprised to hear that, because it never really annoys me. But I do read about it bothering people quitte often. I'm not too picky between 33 or 45, except for if the 45 cuts of a song midway through. That does ruin the immersion.

Does flipping the record more often really bother people that much? I'm always surprised to hear that, because it never really annoys me. But I do read about it bothering people quitte often. I'm not too picky between 33 or 45, except for if the 45 cuts of a song midway through. That does ruin the immersion.

I actually kind of like it. It’s good for bathroom breaks. I listen mostly in the morning with coffee.

When I'm actively listening to a record it doesn't bother me. When I'm doing more than just listening (say I'm cooking, because then I have to wash my hands too), it gets annoying and I dislike having to flip more often.

If given the choice between high end 33 and high end 45, like with some of the AP and MM titles, I always pick 33. I know it theoretically opens up the sound some, but between my system (which is good, but not exceptional) and my ears (which went to too many loud concerts in my 20s and have worked in a woodshop too long), I likely can't tell the difference sonically between 33 and 45 anyways.

Drives me nuts but I have a specific reason. I work from home and listen to records. I write books for a living and usually write in 25minute blocks. That's perfect for one side of a 33, a little quiet at the end, but no big deal. Drives me nuts when I have to flip a record mid sprint. When doing close listening, I don't mind, but that's not nearly as often--mostly my listening is passive while working.

Those Stanley Turrentine Up at Minton’s albums are so damn good. Highly recommend picking up the AP pressing of Volume 1 and the MM press of Vol 2. These albums could be double billed as Grant Green albums too so if you’re a fan of him then these albums are for you. Amazing playing all around.
I’ve been considering another Acoustic Sounds order but cannot for the life of me seem to narrow down my want list to a financially responsible size.

And, to be honest, I had not checked out this Turrentine album. Sort of wrote it off, for whatever reason, the first time I scrolled past it, and every time after as a matter of fact. Well, I’m currently streaming it solely on the enthusiasm of your quoted post above and gawd damn were you right. Thoroughly enjoying it!

Thank you.

*goes back to the list of ten potential sale albums and adds Stanley Turrentine - Up At Minton’s Volume 1 to that list.*

*long existential sigh*

I’ve been considering another Acoustic Sounds order but cannot for the life of me seem to narrow down my want list to a financially responsible size.

And, to be honest, I had not checked out this Turrentine album. Sort of wrote it off, for whatever reason, the first time I scrolled past it, and every time after as a matter of fact. Well, I’m currently streaming it solely on the enthusiasm of your quoted post above and gawd damn were you right. Thoroughly enjoying it!

Thank you.

*goes back to the list of ten potential sale albums and adds Stanley Turrentine - Up At Minton’s Volume 1 to that list.*

*long existential sigh*

Everytime I open one of these threads, I'm also like:

giphy (4).gif

Back