The Blue Note Thread

I've been wanting Grant Green Alive for forever so figured it was a good time to do it. Rather support Plaid Room than Amazon when I can! My locals haven't been carrying the BN 80s or Tone Poets for some reason.

ya mine have, and are keeping the prices in line with amazon for the most part. So, I've happily been getting them locally.

So I just listened to that Grant Green album for the first time and absolutely loved it.
What are considered his most highly regarded albums? I want to dive into some more of his stuff.
I really like Green Street, too. It turns out I really like jazz guitar. Kenny Burrell is also a
favorite, e.g

So I just listened to that Grant Green album for the first time and absolutely loved it.
What are considered his most highly regarded albums? I want to dive into some more of his stuff.
Matador and Green Street are awesome as is Idle Moments. Live at the Lighthouse and Alive! are awesome live albums of his and Alive! is coming out soon on BN80th.

Matador and Green Street are awesome as is Idle Moments. Live at the Lighthouse and Alive! are awesome live albums of his and Alive! is coming out soon on BN80th.

Don't sleep on Green's sideman work either. He is the star of the album on Ike Quebec's Blue and Sentimental and is also great on Big John Patton's Let'em Roll and Lou Donaldson's The Natural Soul.

Idle Moments, without a doubt.
I really like Green Street, too. It turns out I really like jazz guitar. Kenny Burrell is also a
favorite, e.g
Feelin' the Spirit.
Don't sleep on Green's sideman work either. He is the star of the album on Ike Quebec's Blue and Sentimental and is also great on Big John Patton's Let'em Roll and Lou Donaldson's The Natural Soul.
Thanks so much everyone! I spent several hours listening to all the ones that were suggested and I was definitely not disappointed. I now have a lot of albums to be one the lookout for the next time I go digging.

Thanks so much everyone! I spent several hours listening to all the ones that were suggested and I was definitely not disappointed. I now have a lot of albums to be one the lookout for the next time I go digging.
Be sure to check out the BN80th and upcoming Tone Poet releases from Grant Green. They all sound great and are on the cheaper side price-wise. Grant's First Stand is out already (BN80) and Alive! is out in early November (also BN80). Born To Be Blue is coming out in the Tone Poet series later this month and is $26.99 on amazon right now which is a good deal:

Be sure to check out the BN80th and upcoming Tone Poet releases from Grant Green. They all sound great and are on the cheaper side price-wise. Grant's First Stand is out already (BN80) and Alive! is out in early November (also BN80). Born To Be Blue is coming out in the Tone Poet series later this month and is $26.99 on amazon right now which is a good deal:
Cough ... reissue spreadsheet ... Cough 😎

Oh yea--there are just WAY too many to list. Typically when I see Green is on a record, I buy it.

Words to live by :cool:

Most of his best albums have already been mentioned, such as Matador (killer version of My Favorite Things!), Green Street, Idle Moments and his work as a sideman. He also did some great work as a sideman outside of Blue Note ( I recently got my hands on
Charles Kynard ‎– Afro-Disiac and Charles Kynard ‎– The Soul Brotherhood, both amazing Prestige Soul Jazz sessions with Green as a sideman)
Just to add one more record. Check out Grant Green - Nigeria, which is going to be released as part of the Tone Poet series next year. Especially this song is incredible:

New BN80s came today... with new super nice inner sleeves! I guess they heard the criticism and upgraded. Really pleased!
Yep, these are a whole lot better than those cheap paper sleeves. Absolutely pleased as well, and we have some excellent titles coming up.

Spinning my Jutta Hipp right now and I swear this just might be the best sounding BN80 yet. But maybe I’m high on that first spin. Only time will tell.

Also my Joe Henderson and Herbie Hancock we’re delayed at the Minneapolis P.O. 😤

Back