The Blue Note Thread

Yep, these are a whole lot better than those cheap paper sleeves. Absolutely pleased as well, and we have some excellent titles coming up.

Spinning my Jutta Hipp right now and I swear this just might be the best sounding BN80 yet. But maybe I’m high on that first spin. Only time will tell.

Also my Joe Henderson and Herbie Hancock we’re delayed at the Minneapolis P.O. 😤

I didn't have much time to listen since mine came at the end of the day, but I put the Henderson session on first and it's a good one. Sounds is on par with everything else, I'm just becoming more and more of a Henderson fan.

I didn't have much time to listen since mine came at the end of the day, but I put the Henderson session on first and it's a good one. Sounds is on par with everything else, I'm just becoming more and more of a Henderson fan.
He’s one of my favorites. I’ve picked up quite a few good pressings of his stuff lately.

I'm almost afraid to say it, but I haven't really been able to get into Joe Henderson yet. Have a couple of records where he is a sideman, but have never bought one where he is the leader. Don't really know why that is.
Oh boy...he might be my favorite BN artist. So many good records. Mode for Joe, Inner Urge, Page One, Our Thing, In N Out...

Oh boy...he might be my favorite BN artist. So many good records. Mode for Joe, Inner Urge, Page One, Our Thing, In N Out...

Yeah, I don't know what it is. All those albums are highly regarded by most, but they just haven't resonated with me. However, not all hope is lost. I've had similar experiences with other jazz artist, who at first didn't do it for me. For instance, I used not be a fan of Larry Young, but in the last year that totally flipped. So I'll probably give Joe Henderson another chance down the line and perhaps it will click.

Obviously Joe is featured on Unity, but don’t beat yourself up about it, it really doesn’t matter who you like to listen to,well only to you of course that’s the only one you have to please.Just enjoy the music, whatever it is .
Yeah, I don't know what it is. All those albums are highly regarded by most, but they just haven't resonated with me. However, not all hope is lost. I've had similar experiences with other jazz artist, who at first didn't do it for me. For instance, I used not be a fan of Larry Young, but in the last year that totally flipped. So I'll probably give Joe Henderson another chance down the line and perhaps it will click.

I'm a huge Joe Henderson fan. That said, most people only know him for his Blue Note output. While Joe's Blue Note output is phenomenal, I'm more fond of his work on Milestone records. Building on the work he did on Blue Note, he was looser, freer, and more fluid on Milestone. Maybe this time period will click with you.

Here's two songs at random from two records on Milestone. The self-titled Power to the People from the Power to the People album and The Bead Game from Tetragon.

Power to the People

The Bead Game

Obviously Joe is featured on Unity, but don’t beat yourself up about it, it really doesn’t matter who you like to listen to,well only to you of course that’s the only one you have to please.Just enjoy the music, whatever it is .

Don't worry, I'm not beating myself up over it. I just find it interesting how he doesn't click with me, even though I like loads of similar artists and albums.

Don't worry, I'm not beating myself up over it. I just find it interesting how he doesn't click with me, even though I like loads of similar artists and albums.
I think jazz is often like that. I sometimes don't really understand my own tastes. I love Wayne Shorter with Miles and Blakey, but I don't super dig a lot of his solo stuff (I mean I like it, but not love it). I try him quite often as I can't grasp why it's not clicking but apart from an album or two it isn't.

I also find the sheer volume of old reissues pretty daunting to keep on top of these days and so have periods like now where I stop buying stuff and then other periods where I buy too much. Irrational, I know...

I’m running through all the different kind of Blue Notes I have with the new speakers. Dexter Gordon’s Go (75th) anniversary is up first. I mean I always thought this sounded good and it still does. We’ll see how it stacks up against the others. The problem with this RVG stuff is that he (most of the time) was the best at what he did... so even if this is lifeless (which I’m not necessarily saying it is, yet) it still sounds great. There is some soundstage and some great separation. I wouldn’t call it musical but it ain’t a fat possum pressing either, it is certainly worth the ten bucks or whatever I spent on it.

As @kafunis pointed out, Elements is truly sensational with Alice Coltrane. The closing track, Earth is for me, one of the greatest pieces of music ever. It puts me into a trance and I feel a strange combination of pure relaxation and complete frustration that it’s over after listening to it.

So I know there seems to be plans for Tone Poets to continue but has anyone heard if the less expensive reissues are planned to be extended after 80 is gone or do we have to wait for 85? I love that they’ve included some ‘lesser knowns’ in this series. I’m really looking forward to Mr. Jones and Brian Blade Fellowship. I was completely unfamiliar with these titles but the samples I’ve tried sound great.

EDIT: I’m also quite relieved from a spending POV that only Alive! takes my fancy from the next few months. Sookie Sookie was one of the first tracks about 25 years ago that got me in to jazz ‘proper’ from the crossover stuff I started with.

On to Jonny Griffin’s A Blowing Session... sooooo.... this sounds good, but it’s not as full as the Hancock. There’s not as much sound stage... it is crisp and it sounds great (not quite as quiet - surface noise wise), but yeah, still gonna have to give the edge to the 80th.

Back