The Blue Note Thread

On to Jonny Griffen’s A Blowing Session... sooooo.... this sounds good, but it’s not as full as the Hancock. There’s not as much sound stage... it is crisp and it sounds great (not quite as quiet - surface noise wise), but yeah, still gonna have to give the edge to the 80th.

Is this the VMP one, Lee? I’ve always thought that series were ok but never felt quite as impressed by them as some did in terms of sonics.

Is this the VMP one, Lee? I’ve always thought that series were ok but never felt quite as impressed by them as some did in terms of sonics.
Yeah. I guess I failed to mention that. You do have to remember I’ve been using 20 year old bargain speakers. This record was a great sounding record (and seriously, it still is) before I bought the ELACs. I mean this thing just isn’t quite up to snuff. It’ll be interesting with these last two records. This is by far the liveliest music I’ve played today, but it’s just not as alive. It’s almost like it’s in another room, instead of this room.

I think jazz is often like that. I sometimes don't really understand my own tastes. I love Wayne Shorter with Miles and Blakey, but I don't super dig a lot of his solo stuff (I mean I like it, but not love it). I try him quite often as I can't grasp why it's not clicking but apart from an album or two it isn't.

I also find the sheer volume of old reissues pretty daunting to keep on top of these days and so have periods like now where I stop buying stuff and then other periods where I buy too much. Irrational, I know...

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Often times I don't really understand my own taste either. For instance, a few months ago I was listening to McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy for the first time and a couple of the songs really blew me away (Contemplation might be my discovery of the year so far). But then a couple other songs on the album I just couldn't get through. I think it also has a lot to do with your mood at a particular time or whether you actually sit down to listen or are doing other things. A few days ago when Blakey would have turned a 100 years old, I put on A Night in Tunisia and sat down. Usually that title track is really in your face, almost menacing (in a good way). Somehow it felt much less daunting than previous times I had put it on.

I also feel you completely with the sheer volume of all these new reissues. I really overextended myself financially trying to keep up, so have been forced to take a break from buying them.

Its not what I wanted because... holy fuck... but I may have just ordered a mm Joe Henderson Record.

I had hopes after something Storf said many moons ago that they’d do something from Joe but that never transpired. I’d struggle if I lived in the States to not overload on those MM/AP releases. The cost of them over here keeps me in check fortunately.

I had hopes after something Storf said many moons ago that they’d do something from Joe but that never transpired. I’d struggle if I lived in the States to not overload on those MM/AP releases. The cost of them over here keeps me in check fortunately.
I mean the price should keep me in check (and will), but I still ordered one because now I have to know what all the fuss is about. Too bad the missus is gonna wanna watch something because I’d be down for just rediscovering my records for, well, the rest of damn time...

On to Wayne Shorter’s Schizophrenia... well holy fuck. Yes it is the VMP ant. Yes it has no surface noise. Yes it has a nice soundstage. Um... it actually sounds like there is more than a sextet here. Also, Carter, Hancock and Chambers are killing it.

Listening to Joe Henderson: State of the Tenor Vol. 2. Not sure it was fair to put this one up against the Shorter but my only other tone poet is the Gil Evans which was plagued with issues, so not exactly the best reference either way. We also know this was recorded in digital equipment, but it is impressive as hell, still. Just wow! Also, again, Carter is the Man!!!

Just shared this in the Fresh Grabs thread but im so excited im sharing it with you guys too. Just had this fantastic record arrive at my doorstep. First mono pressing of Lee Morgans The Cooker. The record is in VG+ shape (no pops, hiss, or ticks) and the cover is perhaps a VG (theres a split to the right-hand side of the jacket where the record had bumped it. Its got all the good stuff - deep groove, RVG and 'P' stamps. I just got through listening to it and I actually got goosebumps, I cant believe how amazing a record it is. Im one happy guy right now!

IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

Just shared this in the Fresh Grabs thread but im so excited im sharing it with you guys too. Just had this fantastic record arrive at my doorstep. First mono pressing of Lee Morgans The Cooker. The record is in VG+ shape (no pops, hiss, or ticks) and the cover is perhaps a VG (theres a split to the right-hand side of the jacket where the record had bumped it. Its got all the good stuff - deep groove, RVG and 'P' stamps. I just got through listening to it and I actually got goosebumps, I cant believe how amazing a record it is. Im one happy guy right now!

View attachment 19757

View attachment 19758
giphy.gif

Seriously though, amazing grab of an even more amazing record. Lee’s tone in some spots is wild.

Its not what I wanted because... holy fuck... but I may have just ordered a mm Joe Henderson Record.
Which one did ya end up going with? I scored a few Joe Henderson MM and AP pressings in the past few months for great prices on ebay/Discogs luckily. I have In n Out and Our Thing on MM and Page One on AP and they all sound awesome.

View attachment 19757

View attachment 19758
Those 1500 series OGs are just divine. Great pickup and great record.

Back