The Blue Note Thread

Is the SRX mono? I've been a big fan of these Original Master Tapes series if you find them at the right price. Got a chance to listen to the first two tracks on this one before work and it's dead quiet. I haven't been able to A/B test any against the same album in SRX/MM/AP but I'd be willing to say that these are just as good and if I wanted a mono pressing, I'd get one of these over a MM version.

@botherly did yours arrive yet? The guy was pretty slow to send it out but mine got here safe and sound.

Came yesterday! we've been really busy here so I haven't given it a proper listen just yet but it's I. deck this afternoon.

I have the 33 it’s amazing!
Just bought a 45rpm MM of “Out to Lunch” on eBay. Came to about $55 with shipping and tax making it the most expensive record I ever bought. Feeling a little foolish right now even though I feel like it’s one of the more highly regarded MMs. Anybody have this one?

Just bought a 45rpm MM of “Out to Lunch” on eBay. Came to about $55 with shipping and tax making it the most expensive record I ever bought. Feeling a little foolish right now even though I feel like it’s one of the more highly regarded MMs. Anybody have this one?
The MM pressings are worth it especially for albums you really lIke. Good, older pressings of that album aren’t cheap. I don’t have the MM of that record specifically but every MM I have sounds awesome.

Welcome to the fancy-pants reissue club! Be careful - at first $55 seems like a big reach but then, next thing you know, you're looking at $125 MoFi one-steps! Enjoy the record; it's amazing. And, if it makes you feel any better, I will happily buy that Out to Lunch off of you for the $55 you paid if you're not into it at all.

Looked it up and you actually got a really good price on that...hope you enjoy it! Typically sells for much more now. MM has it for $75 on their site and I think it's $10 shipping on top of that.

Just going to cross post this because I dont want anyone to miss out:

I've not heard of this musician until now, but my god the one track I have heard from him, Amathambo, is stunning. A killer free-jazz/spiritual jazz/world music song.

The reason I mention him is because he has a new album out soon through Blue Note by the sounds of it!

IMG_7971.jpg

Just going to cross post this because I dont want anyone to miss out:

I've not heard of this musician until now, but my god the one track I have heard from him, Amathambo, is stunning. A killer free-jazz/spiritual jazz/world music song.

The reason I mention him is because he has a new album out soon through Blue Note by the sounds of it!

View attachment 19153
That's a really cool track. What is UP with the 3D piano keys in the video though? hah

Looked it up and you actually got a really good price on that...hope you enjoy it! Typically sells for much more now. MM has it for $75 on their site and I think it's $10 shipping on top of that.
So...this reminds me to start stalking eBay for more jazz listings. I've only been collecting vinyl for a short time - can anyone enlighten me on if MM eventually restocks anything? Like the SRX pressings or any of the high demand stuff? Is it all a mystery or can has there been any anecdotal tales of restocking? Just curious...

On a related note, I had made a purchase for a backordered Coltrane album on April 14th from Acoustic Sounds and it finally came back in stock and was shipped today. Hooray!

So...this reminds me to start stalking eBay for more jazz listings. I've only been collecting vinyl for a short time - can anyone enlighten me on if MM eventually restocks anything? Like the SRX pressings or any of the high demand stuff? Is it all a mystery or can has there been any anecdotal tales of restocking? Just curious...

On a related note, I had made a purchase for a backordered Coltrane album on April 14th from Acoustic Sounds and it finally came back in stock and was shipped today. Hooray!
Was it one of those Coltrane Prestige AP reissues? I’m waiting for them to repress some of that Prestige stuff.

They seem to restock certain titles once in a great while but I would not count on it. They’ve got a bunch of nice titles on sale right now fwiw.

Bill Frisell wrote about his favorite BN albums. Might be of interest to y'all:

How is the pressing quality? Seems like there were complaints that it is noisy or has a lot of surface noise.
That was the other reason why I held off. So far so good! No surface noise on this copy on the first disc. And when I entered it into discogs, I was surprised to see copies for as low as like $21+ shipping on there.

How is the pressing quality? Seems like there were complaints that it is noisy or has a lot of surface noise.
That was the other reason why I held off. So far so good! No surface noise on this copy on the first disc. And when I entered it into discogs, I was surprised to see copies for as low as like $21+ shipping on there.

I had this crazy robotic/glitch type noise on mine at a couple places. My replacement is fine though.

On a side note this has to be the album of the year for me. I was lucky enough to see Joel Ross live at a really intimate setting (our table was touching the stage!) and they played constantly for about 3 hours with just 1 break inbetween. It was just amazing. Even today, 3 months later, I still find myself humming bits from the show.

Back