The Blue Note Thread

Really great doc from what I remember.

Back in late 2019 Blue Note had a pop up shop in London where they gave out freebies and sold some records and merch as part of their 80th-anniversary celebrations. They had the DVD of this but oddly it was also showing on the BBC the same night. I dug out a photo of the bits that they gave out for you to see.

View attachment 126370
This older one is good too. Some good interviews with Alfred and Francis's wives, Van Gelder, and many artists and fans.
1643213001996.png
1643213114481.png

This older one is good too. Some good interviews with Alfred and Francis's wives, Van Gelder, and many artists and fans.
View attachment 126400
View attachment 126401

There's a documentary called It Must Schwing! The Story of Blue Note that came out a few years ago also that I've heard is fantastic but it's only available importing a Region 2 DVD/Blu-ray and not streaming.

There's a documentary called It Must Schwing! The Story of Blue Note that came out a few years ago also that I've heard is fantastic but it's only available importing a Region 2 DVD/Blu-ray and not streaming.
I got JPC version of that one. It's only available in Germany and there's no subs which wouldn't really be an issue except there's a few scenes where they speak German. Not sure why they didn't include subtitles.

I got JPC version of that one. It's only available in Germany and there's no subs which wouldn't really be an issue except there's a few scenes where they speak German. Not sure why they didn't include subtitles.
yah, Ive seen it once, but it was hard to follow without subs even though I spent a few years in Germany.

yah, Ive seen it once, but it was hard to follow without subs even though I spent a few years in Germany.
I had it in school for a few years, graduated even though i rarely paid attention in class, but my German is not sharp enough to just listen to it without subs as backup. About 7-8 years later i was diagnosed with Autism and ADD so we found out why i was "always quiet", "not paying attention in class" and "drifts off" during most classes 😄

I had it in school for a few years, graduated even though i rarely paid attention in class, but my German is not sharp enough to just listen to it without subs as backup. About 7-8 years later i was diagnosed with Autism and ADD so we found out why i was "always quiet", "not paying attention in class" and "drifts off" during most classes 😄
I "might" be able to go into a Bier Garden and order in German now DW! 😊

Ornette box arrived today. Magnificent. True Tone Poet production, wonderful covers (all but the two Golden Circle are gatefolds, and New York Is Now has the original gatefold reproduced). RTI pressings appear great. All good so far, this box should not be missed!

The booklet is not too many pages, but there are several photos of the Stockholm shows, which I had never seen before.

The back covers are totally faithful to the originals, except the presence of bar codes, which may be an indication that individual titles may eventually be released. But I would not expect for a very long time, due to the pressing situation.

Last edited:
Unboxing of the Ornette Coleman boxset

I realize it’s just 6 regular TPs that come in a basic box and incl a booklet, but it still looks really fantastic in one set, especially all those killer gatefold photos in a chronological group. Unfortunately, I’m sitting this one out. I simply have too much in the pipeline already.

The In Groove has pre-orders up for the Bud Powell and Milt Jackson BN Classics:

Quick vinyl storage/protection questions (mostly related to Tone Poets/Gatefolds):

Like many of you, I think the Tone Poet series has been on an amazing run. Looking through the titles, I think I've picked up almost 90 percent of them. I'm curious:

1) When you purchase a gatefold like the Tone Poets, do you keep the gatefold in the shrink? Y/N

2) If not, do you hold onto the hype stickers? Toss/Keep

3) What poly outers do you use for Tone Poets and other gatefolds (like the new Acoustic Sounds series)? For years, I've been using the 12 3/4x 12 1/2 3mil from Square Deal. No complaints, but they are T-I-G-H-T on gatefolds. I've tried their Double Oversized Sleeves, but they are too big for most gatefolds. What are you using?

Quick vinyl storage/protection questions (mostly related to Tone Poets/Gatefolds):

Like many of you, I think the Tone Poet series has been on an amazing run. Looking through the titles, I think I've picked up almost 90 percent of them. I'm curious:

1) When you purchase a gatefold like the Tone Poets, do you keep the gatefold in the shrink? Y/N

3) What poly outers do you use for Tone Poets and other gatefolds (like the new Acoustic Sounds series)? For years, I've been using the 12 3/4x 12 1/2 3mil from Square Deal. No complaints, but they are T-I-G-H-T on gatefolds. I've tried their Double Oversized Sleeves, but they are too big for most gatefolds. What are you using?
1. I do keep them in their original packaging, and put an outer over that. But generally speaking with such original wrapping, if I can get the sticker off in one piece, I'll do that and then stick it to the poly outer I use for that record (so I guess that's the answer to #2).
3. I use these: 12 15/16" x 12 15/16" No Flap, Crystal Clear Album Sleeve (100 Pieces) [BLPDNF]

The In Groove has pre-orders up for the Bud Powell and Milt Jackson BN Classics:
Interesting. Last I heard these were both slated for April 15. Tough to keep up with the shifting press calendar. Thanks, Adele!

1. Almost never keep shrink on gatefolds.
2. No Saving hypes if they’re on removed shrink.I have a bunch of saved TP and BN Classic and other outers w hypes in case I sell any
3. These are great for TPs and other oversize gatefolds. Good company, too, owned by one guy:

EDIT: those oversized sleeves are not tight on TPs. They should be called Magnum outer sleeves.

1) - No. I put it in a new, fresh resealable outer.

2) - No. Hype stickers are useless. They are to promote at point of sale. Obsessives hold on to them!

3) - I still have a stash of Japanese super clear resealable outers. They are going to be a bit tight, but still are fine.

1) No, I take the shrink off all my albums, gatefold or no

2) I cut the hype sticker off and toss it in the sleeve

3) I use Sleeve City 2.5 outers and they fit just fine

1) No

2) Toss

3) Sleeve City Ultimate outers 2.5

Looks like I'm the freak here:

1. Yes, if it is the baggie type with the perforated top. Otherwise if it is just shrink wrap, I pitch.

2. Very rarely.

3. I use the Big Fudge 12" outers available on Amazon. They're relatively inexpensive and work fine. My one order experience from Sleeve City was a nightmare and I'll never do it again. Ended up not getting anything despite shipping notifications.

Listening to Jackie McLean's - Destination Out for the first time right now. Really enjoying the opening track, not too familiar with any McLean projects. A new rabbit hole opens! Fwiw, I was really impressed by his playing on Kenny Dorham's Matador recently.

Back