The Blue Note Thread

Kk, every song absolutely smokes so far. Canceling VMP for the time being to snag Matador, Destination Out and John Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard.

Also v excited for that Sonny Red, TP, that one surprised me as well. Queuing up Don Cherry next

Listening to Jackie McLean's - Destination Out for the first time right now. Really enjoying the opening track, not too familiar with any McLean projects. A new rabbit hole opens! Fwiw, I was really impressed by his playing on Kenny Dorham's Matador recently.
Destination Out is one of my fav BN releases and, I think, very underrated (as is McLean generally).

If you like that and don’t know Grachan Moncur III’s “Evolution,” I very highly recommend. It has Hutcherson/McLean along w/ Lee Morgan, Tony Williams, and Bob Cranshaw. Evolution has material that’s a little more “out” than “Destination Out,” enough to piss off crotchety purists bc that material doesn’t swing, but it’s excellent.

Listening to Jackie McLean's - Destination Out for the first time right now. Really enjoying the opening track, not too familiar with any McLean projects. A new rabbit hole opens! Fwiw, I was really impressed by his playing on Kenny Dorham's Matador recently.
Then you should check out "Its Time!!!!!", which was part of the Tone Poet series a while ago. It is a fantastic album with an unbeatable lineup, always walking the fine line between post-bop and avant garde.

Evolution is great and another vote for It’s Time as well, I’ve got a few McLean, Right Now! and a good from the 70’s New York Calling On Steeplechase.
Destination Out is one of my fav BN releases and, I think, very underrated (as is McLean generally).

If you like that and don’t know Grachan Moncur III’s “Evolution,” I very highly recommend. It has Hutcherson/McLean along w/ Lee Morgan, Tony Williams, and Bob Cranshaw. Evolution has material that’s a little more “out” than “Destination Out,” enough to piss off crotchety purists bc that material doesn’t swing, but it’s excellent.

Unboxing of the Ornette Coleman boxset

I realize it’s just 6 regular TPs that come in a basic box and incl a booklet, but it still looks really fantastic in one set, especially all those killer gatefold photos in a chronological group. Unfortunately, I’m sitting this one out. I simply have too much in the pipeline already.
Doug @ Paladin @Ethos99 has some Ornette BN Box Sets left at a killer price for anyone looking. Check the PBC thread in the members section. There are not too many left out there.

Quick vinyl storage/protection questions (mostly related to Tone Poets/Gatefolds):

Like many of you, I think the Tone Poet series has been on an amazing run. Looking through the titles, I think I've picked up almost 90 percent of them. I'm curious:

1) When you purchase a gatefold like the Tone Poets, do you keep the gatefold in the shrink? Y/N

2) If not, do you hold onto the hype stickers? Toss/Keep

3) What poly outers do you use for Tone Poets and other gatefolds (like the new Acoustic Sounds series)? For years, I've been using the 12 3/4x 12 1/2 3mil from Square Deal. No complaints, but they are T-I-G-H-T on gatefolds. I've tried their Double Oversized Sleeves, but they are too big for most gatefolds. What are you using?

1) No
2) Toss, unless it's got numbering on it.
3) For TP, I use these (Single pocket, no flap). A bit loose, but I like them.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but what’s the verdict on the Blue Note Classic series? They seem like great values, although some of the Discogs reviews mention pressing issues. Looking at these two specifically.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but what’s the verdict on the Blue Note Classic series? They seem like great values, although some of the Discogs reviews mention pressing issues. Looking at these two specifically.

Moanin’ had pressing problems, this may have been fixed in the recent pressings I suppose. Somethin Else was good.

I lucked out on my copy of Moanin' but Soul Station from the same pressing run was an uplayable mess. Overall they were great deals, now with the latest price increase they are just good deals.

All mine are really good. There have been a few hiccups in the past. Really good remastering and very good value for $25. I would recommend getting them from a reputable online store.

I lucked out on my copy of Moanin' but Soul Station from the same pressing run was an uplayable mess. Overall they were great deals, now with the latest price increase they are just good deals.
They recently went up a $1 *in the u.s., The Tone Poet Series went up $5.

Last edited:
I just want a MM pressing of:

Cannonball Adderly's Something Else
Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil
Horace Silver's Songs for My Father (although let's see if the classics pressing does enough to sate my desire for a good pressing of this album)
Art Blakey's Moanin'

Basically the Blue Note Mount Rushmore.

I have a good chunk of the Yoshida Blue Note 75 releases because they were dirt cheap on Amazon when they liquidated stock. But they leave so much to be desired.
Just seeing this but MoFi is doing a One Step of Somethin Else in case you weren’t aware.

Back