The Blue Note Thread

Oh no, no worries. I know nothing lol, 5 years listening to jazz and just scratching the surface lol
You can get taste of Jimmy live here. Many Hammond organists play the bass octave with the Hammonds floor pedals Christian. Jimmy Smith invented this style although many church organists used the same technique.

Probably the best example I can find of amazing Hammond footwork is this from Rhoda Scott. She is using here left foot to play the bass line and her right foot to control the volume pedal, while comping with her left hand , and playing lead with the right. Amazing!

And here is a short documentary on the Hammond Organ you might enjoy

Last edited:
You can get taste of Jimmy live here. Many Hammond organists play the bass octave with the Hammonds floor pedals Christian. Jimmy Smith invented this style although many church organists used the same technique.

Probably the best example I can find of amazing Hammond footwork is this from Rhoda Scott. She is using here left foot to play the bass line and her right foot to control the volume pedal, while comping with her left hand , and playing lead with the right. Amazing!

And Rhoda Scott always plays barefoot!

Organ jazz got funkier in the 70's introducing more Fender electric bass to the scene
Huhuhuh "organ jazz"

This was a real treat. Thanks for sharing

Target has Jan 21, 2022 Blue Note Classics preorders up:

Don Cherry - Where is Brooklyn ($23.49)
Jackie McLean - Destination Out ($23.49)
Completely unfamiliar with both of these, excited to give them a stream.
Extremely excited for the Jackie McLean. I have immense respect for the musicians who were able to stay with the times and innovate along with it, and there's no better Alto in that respect then McClean. Destination Out! and the albums from that period (Whistle Stop is a good one) are just awesome recordings of a hard bop master adapting to a post-bop world, and excelling in it.

I really love Jackie McClean, "Cool Struttin" has been in heavy rotation for me lately.

Back