The Blue Note Thread

One thing I would say about this set is that it shouldn't be one that people go into 'blind' (although perhaps the price will see to that). This era of Coleman is pretty erratic when it comes to his specific style so it might be a case of one album ticking boxes in terms of personal preference whilst the next doesn't.

For example, At The Golden Circle is a session that I really like and is 'classic' Coleman. I also get the feeling that his side-men were looking to really flex knowing they had big boots to fill. A few albums later and we get to New And Old Gospel with Jackie McLean which completely different to At The Golden Circle. Coleman focuses entirely on the trumpet and leaves McLean to provide the sax.

I guess what I'm saying, and apologies if it comes across as patronising as I really don't mean it to, is that it's well worth streaming the full set before committing. In the past, I have bought sets without streaming first and usually it's all good, but with this one being so different album to album it might be worth doing anyway.

I'm more into the 'comfort zone' of jazz, that sweet spot between the late 50's and early 60's which produced so many classic albums, but the Coleman box set intrigues me. I've a King pressing of the Golden Circle part 1, and I'd definitely be open to more Ornette vinyl in my collection. I preordered it on Amazon last night so it gives me a month and a bit to check those extra albums out and see how marmite they are!

One thing I would say about this set is that it shouldn't be one that people go into 'blind' (although perhaps the price will see to that). This era of Coleman is pretty erratic when it comes to his specific style so it might be a case of one album ticking boxes in terms of personal preference whilst the next doesn't.

For example, At The Golden Circle is a session that I really like and is 'classic' Coleman. I also get the feeling that his side-men were looking to really flex knowing they had big boots to fill. A few albums later and we get to New And Old Gospel with Jackie McLean which completely different to At The Golden Circle. Coleman focuses entirely on the trumpet and leaves McLean to provide the sax.

I guess what I'm saying, and apologies if it comes across as patronising as I really don't mean it to, is that it's well worth streaming the full set before committing. In the past, I have bought sets without streaming first and usually it's all good, but with this one being so different album to album it might be worth doing anyway.
Full agree. I am a newbie to Coleman's BN output pretty much. I am a bit disappointed they went the box set route but I get why. If a few of these were Tone Poet releases, I probably would buy 1 or 2 but the cost on this box is too much for me

I'm not a big enough Ornette fan to buy a box set of him - I've got Shape of Jazz, This is Our Music, and Science Fiction which is enough for me, but if you are going to buy an Ornette box, I would recommend the Atlantic box over the upcoming Blue Note one:

I'm sure this Tone Poet Blue Note will be well done, but based on the quality and importance of the music, almost all his best music was on Atlantic.

Fair enough, but IMO the stone classic in this set is New York Is Now, with Love Call - basically an album of tracks that didn't make NYIN, not far behind. The Stockholm recordings are legendary, Empty Foxhole may be an acquired taste but is still very interesting, New & Old Gospel never really worked, but still, as a McLean album it stands up well.

I suggest to anyone that Stockholm and the 2 records with Garrison, Elvin & Dewey are so essential that it makes the box worthwhile. Streaming this stuff just doesn't do the music justice. I can't wait for the box!

I'm not a big enough Ornette fan to buy a box set of him - I've got Shape of Jazz, This is Our Music, and Science Fiction which is enough for me, but if you are going to buy an Ornette box, I would recommend the Atlantic box over the upcoming Blue Note one:

I'm sure this Tone Poet Blue Note will be well done, but based on the quality and importance of the music, almost all his best music was on Atlantic.
I have this and completely agree, it's a good one! Slightly less quality compared to the Coltrane Atlantic set but there are more albums I guess. Crazy good value when you see the prices it goes for, pretty reasonable for the amount of music you get.

I have this and completely agree, it's a good one! Slightly less quality compared to the Coltrane Atlantic set but there are more albums I guess. Crazy good value when you see the prices it goes for, pretty reasonable for the amount of music you get.
This looks intriguing, any info on the quality of the pressings? I don't think I can justify getting this as well as the Blue Note set, so it's a case of either/or for now...

This looks intriguing, any info on the quality of the pressings? I don't think I can justify getting this as well as the Blue Note set, so it's a case of either/or for now...
I believe it is digitally cut, certainly no labels saying AAA, but still decent pressings to my ears. You would think the BN box would top it in terms of audio quality assuming its on the same level as the Tone Poets.

I actually think some of the albums in the Atlantic Box are more 'important' than those in the BN box (ie The Shape Of Jazz To Come, Free Jazz) and you get more music for your money. So I guess its down to personal preference in that regard.

I believe it is digitally cut, certainly no labels saying AAA, but still decent pressings to my ears. You would think the BN box would top it in terms of audio quality assuming its on the same level as the Tone Poets.

I actually think some of the albums in the Atlantic Box are more 'important' than those in the BN box (ie The Shape Of Jazz To Come, Free Jazz) and you get more music for your money. So I guess its down to personal preference in that regard.
Have done some digging and I think theyre done by Rhino, which have always sounded decent to my ears. Agree they won't quite be on par with that TP quality but still represent good value...need to give those ten albums a good listen on Spotify over the next few days!

They're cut by John Webber at AIR, probably digital. I know the standard solo release of Shape of Jazz to Come by Rhino was AAA and it was done by Bernie Grundman. There are good ORG and Speakers Corner pressings of most of the Atlantic OC albums though.

Could always get the Speakers Corner pressings of those two titles you mentioned as they are AAA and should sound awesome. If I was choosing, I'd probably buy the BN box + those two SC pressings. That should be a pretty great mix of his albums.

The Shape Of Jazz To Come, Free Jazz
I have thought about getting that box a few times, but dithered too long when it seems to be much more expensive these days. probably worth a mention that the two titles mentioned are both now available on Speakers Corner AAA. They will probably sell out quickly

edit - see everyone else has said the same thing

I have thought about getting that box a few times, but dithered too long when it seems to be much more expensive these days. probably worth a mention that the two titles mentioned are both now available on Speakers Corner AAA. They will probably sell out quickly
SC seems pretty good about represses. I also wonder if there was a repress of that box set...it was included in the Target sale a few weeks back.

edit - see everyone else has said the same thing
Seeing as you dug in Soho the other day and we are discussing these albums it reminded me of one of my better record shop purchases.

I bought a first pressing of 'Free Jazz' in Sister Ray a few years back for £25. They had it marked up as being in poor condition but even on their decks it played quite well with just a bit of background noise. I got it home and cleaned it (this was before I had a proper machine) and it played like a dream. Still cant quite get over that one as Soho prices tend to be pricier as a rule.

Seeing as you dug in Soho the other day and we are discussing these albums it reminded me of one of my better record shop purchases.

I bought a first pressing of 'Free Jazz' in Sister Ray a few years back for £25. They had it marked up as being in poor condition but even on their decks it played quite well with just a bit of background noise. I got it home and cleaned it (this was before I had a proper machine) and it played like a dream. Still cant quite get over that one as Soho prices tend to be pricier as a rule.

That's awesome. Soho definitely seems a bit pricier on the whole

That's awesome. Soho definitely seems a bit pricier on the whole
Yeah, it typically is for older second-hand stuff but interestingly I have found 'modern' second-hand releases to be pretty decent at times.

If Music has closed now (online only) but that used to have super rare stuff for super high prices.

Back