The Blue Note Thread

Pithecanthropus Erectus.
Did you get the Speakers Corner pressing? All three Mingus I bought from that label (PE, The Clown, and Live at Antibes) wound up being amazing. Mingus is probably my favorite to knock back a few cocktails to after a rough work week. The tone poems on Pithecanthropus Erectus are so interesting, especially A Foggy Day!

Did you get the Speakers Corner pressing? All three Mingus I bought from that label (PE, The Clown, and Live at Antibes) wound up being amazing. Mingus is probably my favorite to knock back a few cocktails to after a rough work week. The tone poems on Pithecanthropus Erectus are so interesting, especially A Foggy Day!

Yeah, the Speakers Corner. Love Mingus; I have the Tijuana Moods from Speakers Corner already and it is so well done. The Clown and Live at Antibes are also on the want list.

The Clown is simply amazing. Was on my want list for long time and I finally snagged a copy last month.
Are you in for the 2 Mingus records being released for the Acoustic Sounds Series next month? I have copies of Black Saint and Mingus x 5 but I am still tempted. The copy of Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is from that Vital Vinyl run that wound up not being too great, and my copy of Black Saint is from Superior Viaduct. I like that one actually but I wonder if the new pressing will be better.

Are you in for the 2 Mingus records being released for the Acoustic Sounds Series next month? I have copies of Black Saint and Mingus x 5 but I am still tempted. The copy of Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is from that Vital Vinyl run that wound up not being too great, and my copy of Black Saint is from Superior Viaduct. I like that one actually but I wonder if the new pressing will be better.
These are the copies I have as well. I'm definitely getting the new ones based on how good the other AS series have been. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I'm spiritually all-in on the new AS pressings, but financially I'm going to have to hope I can track some down in the wild at a reasonable price next year. I've already blown through my "overspend" buffer since I was supposed to put my buying on freeze. 🤪

I've hears good things about Superior Viaduct, but haven't actually heard the pressing. So I can't offer any thoughts on that. I have neither of these in my physical library yet, so I feel like these pressings should be my focus for fixing that.

These are the copies I have as well. I'm definitely getting the new ones based on how good the other AS series have been. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I'm spiritually all-in on the new AS pressings, but financially I'm going to have to hope I can track some down in the wild at a reasonable price next year. I've already blown through my "overspend" buffer since I was supposed to put my buying on freeze. 🤪

I've hears good things about Superior Viaduct, but haven't actually heard the pressing. So I can't offer any thoughts on that. I have neither of these in my physical library yet, so I feel like these pressings should be my focus for fixing that.
You guys make your way to the PBC thread if you haven't already. There's a poll up on the upcoming AS series releases.

Here are samples below from some of the lesser known albums on the new Blue Note Classic List If it helps anyone with their wish list.

And there is a poll running on the Paladin Record Club thread on the upcoming releases if anyone is interested.

Part1
Duke Pearson Merry Ole Soul

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers The Big Beat

Donald Byrd Place & Spaces

Bobby Humphrey Fancy Dancer

Reuben Wilson Love Bug

Was just coming over to sing praise for that Bobbi Humphrey, really fun happy listen. Will certainly be picking it up with Places and Spaces that month

Just spun my Classic pressing of Out to lunch, and I'm glad to report it sounds fantastic!

I'm excited to spend more time with this record now that I have this reissue. I remember first listening to OTL years ago when I was first getting into jazz. It was too much for me, as I found nothing "familiar" to latch on to. While my ears have grown accostumed to more "out there" sounds, I still find this album somewhat challenging, although not nearly as much as I used to. I can enjoy it a great deal now, but I hear a ton of things to unpack: rhythmic patterns, interplay between instruments, nuances in performances, etc. I'm glad to have a great sounding pressing while I deep dive into this record in order to "dissect" all of the stuff in it.

Just spun my Classic pressing of Out to lunch, and I'm glad to report it sounds fantastic!

I'm excited to spend more time with this record now that I have this reissue. I remember first listening to OTL years ago when I was first getting into jazz. It was too much for me, as I found nothing "familiar" to latch on to. While my ears have grown accostumed to more "out there" sounds, I still find this album somewhat challenging, although not nearly as much as I used to. I can enjoy it a great deal now, but I hear a ton of things to unpack: rhythmic patterns, interplay between instruments, nuances in performances, etc. I'm glad to have a great sounding pressing while I deep dive into this record in order to "dissect" all of the stuff in it.
This and Coltrane’s “Live at Village Vanguard” are two albums that motivated me to dive deep into jazz. I liked plenty of jazz before I heard them, but wasn’t really inspired before I heard those releases. (now I’m inspired by a lot more)

Perhaps counterintuitively, I think one way to approach OtL and see it’s brilliance is to focus on the drums and vibes. That’s not the only way, of course, just a choice I make some of the time bc they’re both incredible on the album.

I just “spun” the new Blue Note album from Joe Chambers, “Samba de Maracatu”. The music is great but it’s available only as a CD or digital download. I was astounded by the sound quality on this CD; very few that I have are recorded and mastered this well.

It’s like cartoon music in the very best way.

Aww man, I saw the thumbnail for this page and got VERY excited for a second. Then I saw the specs and the label and realized it's likely some sketchy grey market shit.

I'd really love to see it get a proper reissue sooner than later.

Yeah lots of those on Juno, Coltrane, Pharaoh, Miles etc
Aww man, I saw the thumbnail for this page and got VERY excited for a second. Then I saw the specs and the label and realized it's likely some sketchy grey market shit.

I'd really love to see it get a proper reissue sooner than later.

Do you guys think some of these oos/hard to find Tone Poets will get a reprint eventually? I paid over market price for Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse and Hank Mobley's Poppin, which I regret as both of those got reprinted. Trying to talk myself out of buying The Phantom before it becomes super oos. Need to ease up on the record spending.

Also if any of you know a place that still has Byrd in Flight and Roots and Herbs in stock it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes they will . be patient
Do you guys think some of these oos/hard to find Tone Poets will get a reprint eventually? I paid over market price for Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse and Hank Mobley's Poppin, which I regret as both of those got reprinted. Trying to talk myself out of buying The Phantom before it become super oos. Need to ease up on the record spending.

Also if any of you know a place that still has Byrd in Flight and Roots and Herbs in stock it would be appreciated.

Back