The Blue Note Thread

yes-- thanks for that! i keep seeing press releases or rumored titles and just tricky to know what was officially announced in the past or if they snuck a title or two in!
Agreed! These drop dates are a moving target - especially given the logjam at the pressing plants. I try to update weekly when these official updates drop. (I also pull a lot of dates from Acoustic Sounds' pre-order page - they stay on top of things pretty well and would likely have info directly from the labels.)

In a related note - Blue Note has pretty much thrown in the towel for the 2022 Tone Poet schedule. Almost everything is TBA.

Not to derail the convo here, or sound like a broken record (pun intended), but the new list of Tone Poet reissues reminded me of what a killer release this record would be:

In don't know if Blue Note currently owns the rights to this record, but if they intend to highlight lesser known sessions with the Tone Poet series, they should definitely reissue Pedro Iturralde's Jazz Flamenco. The album was originally released by Hispavox, but Blue Note compiled Volumes 1 and 2 in a 1996 release. This is an outstanding recording by the Spanish saxophonist backed by an American band,, plus Paco de Lucía. Picture Coltrane's Olé, but played by actual spaniards, oscilating between modal explorations and traditional flamenco runs. It is a highly underrated record IMO, and one that deserves a quality reissue.

they got me too...assholes. i know i should have known but couldn't help myself with Inner Urge.
If there is any comfort in this, I have personally found my MM pressings sounds a tad better than the Classics pressings. Does it make up for the difference in price? That's a bit harder, but I do think there is often a noticeable difference.

On that note, has anyone listened to the Classics version Out to Lunch that just dropped? It sounds real nice, though I have to say, it doesn't have the space or clarity in the vibes that my MM 45 rpm has.

If there is any comfort in this, I have personally found my MM pressings sounds a tad better than the Classics pressings. Does it make up for the difference in price? That's a bit harder, but I do think there is often a noticeable difference.

On that note, has anyone listened to the Classics version Out to Lunch that just dropped? It sounds real nice, though I have to say, it doesn't have the space or clarity in the vibes that my MM 45 rpm has.
Out To Lunch just arrived here, greatly looking forward to spinning it. That one and Shorter’s Speak No Evil are two I kick myself for not picking up in the MM 33rpm series (before the prices were jacked up), so glad those holes in the collection are plugged now.

New Classics lineup announced

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

October 1, 2021

November 19, 2021 – Hard Bop

November 19, 2021 – The 70s

December 10, 2021 – Soul Jazz

• Jimmy Smith – Home Cookin’ (1958)
  • Reuben Wilson – Love Bug (1969)
December 10, 2021 – Hidden Gems

• Herbie Nichols – The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (1955)
  • Kenny Cox – Introducing Kenny Cox and The Contemporary Jazz Quintet (1968)
January 21, 2022 – The Avant-Garde

• Jackie McLean – Destination Out (1963)
  • Don Cherry – Where Is Brooklyn? (1966)
February 18, 2022 – Post-Bop

• Joe Henderson – Inner Urge (1964)
  • Lee Morgan – Caramba (1968)
March 18, 2022 – The Rebirth

• Cassandra Wilson – Blue Light ‘Til Dawn (1993)*
  • Geri Allen – Twenty One (1994)*
April 15, 2022 – Bebop

• Milt Jackson – Milt Jackson With John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Lou Donaldson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet (1948-52)
  • Bud Powell – Time Waits: The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 4 (1958)
Here are samples below from some of the lesser known albums on the new Blue Note Classic List If it helps anyone with their wish list.

And there is a poll running on the Paladin Record Club thread on the upcoming releases if anyone is interested.

Part1
Duke Pearson Merry Ole Soul

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers The Big Beat

Donald Byrd Place & Spaces

Bobby Humphrey Fancy Dancer

Reuben Wilson Love Bug

Last edited:
Back