The Blue Note Thread

I am indeed. It's a fantastic session in my opinion and marks the point where he starts exploring a less powerful approach to his playing (he was always a bravado when it came to solos). Instead, he tends to explore a softer side and his compositions (all 5 were his original compositions) allow for the side-men to shine. I believe I'm correct in saying that this is the first time we hear Bennie Maupin as part of the group and it's a great introduction, lots of superb playing from him as well.

View attachment 113032
Cedar Walton on piano instantly noticeable and Billly Higgins on drums is a good thing

I like the Geri Allen choice that never had an LP release. The one review in discogs says “Mrs Allen is marred by the typical digital sound of the mid-90´s, especially the drums of Tony Williams sound incredibly bad.” I wonder if Kevin Grey can fix this?

I like the Geri Allen choice that never had an LP release. The one review in discogs says “Mrs Allen is marred by the typical digital sound of the mid-90´s, especially the drums of Tony Williams sound incredibly bad.” I wonder if Kevin Grey can fix this?
It might be better to appreciate this release as a historical and nostalgic one seeing we no longer have Ms. Allen with us but it will be intersting to see what Kevin does with it. Material is smokin', sound is indeed challenging like alot of things from that decade.

Last edited:
It might be better to appreciate this release as a historical and nostalgic one seeing we no longer have Ms. Allen with us but it will be intersting to see what Kevin does with it. Material is smokin', sound is indeed challenging like alot of things from that decade.

Oh dear. I get there is some nasty compression happening on the top end on the youtube file, but wow. What's up with that kick drum??

1994 as historical? I must be getting old.

One dumb comment on Discogs is nothing to go by. It is a digital recording, but still, the mix and mastering are two different things. The pre-mastered original mix is likely what will be used, and we have no idea how that sounds.

BTW, some of my best sounding vinyls are early digital.

I am thrilled that this is getting released on vinyl. I have no doubt it will sound great, and the original CD wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was really good - powerful, propulsive bass and Tony Williams kick drum hitting hard. Maybe a bit up front and close miked - it isn't RVG - but still very nice.

Bear in mind that Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor was an early digital recording, and sounds way, way better on the TP releases.

1994 as historical? I must be getting old.

One dumb comment on Discogs is nothing to go by. It is a digital recording, but still, the mix and mastering are two different things. The pre-mastered original mix is likely what will be used, and we have no idea how that sounds.

BTW, some of my best sounding vinyls are early digital.

I am thrilled that this is getting released on vinyl. I have no doubt it will sound great, and the original CD wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was really good - powerful, propulsive bass and Tony Williams kick drum hitting hard. Maybe a bit up front and close miked - it isn't RVG - but still very nice.

Bear in mind that Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor was an early digital recording, and sounds way, way better on the TP releases.
28 ago, seems like yesterday until I look at the grey in the mirror ;) Some of those Pablo digital's are my favorites. But as someone that was in the music industry for 35 years I do prefer analog in most cases and not from stupid discogs comments or YT compression but my own ears. Only so much a mastering engineer can do, they are not miracle workers, but I have faith in Kevin and others and the current technology which is getting more amazing every day.

Know what really ticks me about this BN Classic announcement? How the completely dishonest Music Matters (Money Matters) just pumped out a last kick at the can, including a regular vinyl pressing of Inner Urge at $90, knowing full well it was coming for $25 on the Classic line.

Yep MM got me with this— I probably wouldn’t have picked up their version if I knew about the Classics version coming. Not great! At least the MM pressing is beautiful, but man, they truly suck.

Yep MM got me with this— I probably wouldn’t have picked up their version if I knew about the Classics version coming. Not great! At least the MM pressing is beautiful, but man, they truly suck.
they got me too...assholes. i know i should have known but couldn't help myself with Inner Urge.
Great album and listen, up there with Shorter's best BN IMHO. Wonder if they will do In 'N Out, Mode For Joe, Page One, Our Thing as well one day.

Back