The Blue Note Thread

@RHANDMJ have you heard any of the Disk Union - From The Original Masters Mono series? KG worked on some of those and said they mastered them quite differently than the MMJs because EMI supposedly wanted a sound that was closer to the original BN sounds. I have a few and think they sound awesome but don't have any duplicates to A/B between those and MMJ.

@RHANDMJ have you heard any of the Disk Union - From The Original Masters Mono series? KG worked on some of those and said they mastered them quite differently than the MMJs because EMI supposedly wanted a sound that was closer to the original BN sounds. I have a few and think they sound awesome but don't have any duplicates to A/B between those and MMJ.
Yes, I have some. I like them, except Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin, which I thought sounded terrible.

I have had a chat with one of the people who worked on the series in Japan. Quoting:

"Some of my engineer colleagues gave specific feedback to Gray's team that the bass should mastered a bit down on these because of the resonant, thin construction of Japanese apartments. This was especially the case on Moanin'. I disagreed with them, but I can speak for the integrity of the process.

I can assure you they are from the Master Tapes, as EMI owns said master tapes, and they also own Disk Union.

These are absolutely not designed for the American or European listening room. That said, they are perfect for us who live on this side of the world."

There you have it - straight from the source!

I love the ones I have - 4 Wayne Shorter, Maiden Voyage, Dippin, Blues Walk etc.

Yes, I have some. I like them, except Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin, which I thought sounded terrible.

I have had a chat with one of the people who worked on the series in Japan. Quoting:

"Some of my engineer colleagues gave specific feedback to Gray's team that the bass should mastered a bit down on these because of the resonant, thin construction of Japanese apartments. This was especially the case on Moanin'. I disagreed with them, but I can speak for the integrity of the process.

I can assure you they are from the Master Tapes, as EMI owns said master tapes, and they also own Disk Union.

These are absolutely not designed for the American or European listening room. That said, they are perfect for us who live on this side of the world."

There you have it - straight from the source!

I love the ones I have - 4 Wayne Shorter, Maiden Voyage, Dippin, Blues Walk etc.
I only have 3 of them. Should have gotten more sooner because the prices have skyrocketed in the past year or two (like most other records). I have Adam's Apple, Sonny Clark Trio and Afro-Cuban. The packaging and everything is also super nice.

Got the chance to listen to the BN Classic Midnight Blue. Really great sounding pressing! They keep crushing the mastering on these.

Did anyone notice some tape hiss on Side A? There were a few spots where I thought there was some noise but sounded more like tape hiss than non-fill. Didn't have any pops or clicks, and its flat as could be.

I'm not sure of my Blue Note Tone Poet top 5 list just yet but I do know Tina Brooks' Minor Move would be in there somewhere. I've been going back listening to them the past couple of weeks to try to figure that out. It's a bit like asking you to pick your favorite child. And for that I count myself very lucky to be a jazz fan right now.

I'm not sure of my Blue Note Tone Poet top 5 list just yet but I do know Tina Brooks' Minor Move would be in there somewhere. I've been going back listening to them the past couple of weeks to try to figure that out. It's a bit like asking you to pick your favorite child. And for that I count myself very lucky to be a jazz fan right now.
wait until you see the Coltrane news for Oct 😋

I only have 3 of them. Should have gotten more sooner because the prices have skyrocketed in the past year or two (like most other records). I have Adam's Apple, Sonny Clark Trio and Afro-Cuban. The packaging and everything is also super nice.
I have a dozen or so that I picked up at DU stores in Japan...believe it or not a lot of them did not sell well on release and I was able to get most of them for 2500yen or less new.

I think they are pretty great, notes above pretty accurate and IMO they are pretty perfect objects - while the TP series is a massive upgrade to the normal release packaging-wise, the DU reissues are next level across the board.

For me SQ is fairly binary at this point, it's either good or bad. These days Blue Note is all basically degrees of great.

interestingly I have Sonny Red 'Out of The Blue' on the DU Mono and an early 80's King Mono (I almost never buy duplicates so I'm not sure how it happened ;-)), but I think this is going to be a TP as well but in Stereo - that might be interesting, but maybe I can tell the GF its not the same record....

g4ZNm.gif

Don't think of it as a "Pearson Record" - think of it as a holiday album you might be able to listen to more than twice. ;)
I remember finding this on a Japanese CD in the early 90's at the Virgin Megastore at the Louvre in Paris...with the ultimate in craziness a white tray holding the CD!!!

instant buy even though originals can still be found...

Back