The Blue Note Thread

Saw on the Hoffman forum that the US BN store only had a little over 100 left.

Seems like they should’ve made it aware that it was so limited earlier than the release date.
I'm just hoping they allocated a good amount to Europe. I haven't seen anyone over here with a physical copy yet and all the places selling pre-orders have different release dates. Last night the UK BN store had it listed as out of stock.

Just got the Lighthouse box. Other than a few *very* minor dings on a couple of the LP edges, it looks great. Top notch shipping from Plaid Room and the box itself is really well put together.

Had time to play LP 1 and 2 and I am very pleased with this. Really enjoyed the feel of the recording and the mix they put together. Can't wait to dig in further!

I'm just hoping they allocated a good amount to Europe. I haven't seen anyone over here with a physical copy yet and all the places selling pre-orders have different release dates. Last night the UK BN store had it listed as out of stock.
Remember, my box says "Limited Edition 1st pressing"- a weasle way of getting out of it if there is a second pressing.

But if there is a second pressing, t won't be soon. 10 LPs - hard to get scheduled at RTI.

Remember, my box says "Limited Edition 1st pressing"- a weasle way of getting out of it if there is a second pressing.

But if there is a second pressing, t won't be soon. 10 LPs - hard to get scheduled at RTI.
Great point. To be honest, I'm not fussed about having the first or later release, after all, I didn't even realise it was numbered until people started receiving them. I do hope to get it sooner rather than later though, this is a dream release for me and I cant wait to get stuck in. By Friday I will know if they have made it to the UK.

Looks like both of these sold out preorder on Amz and are on to non prime secondary sellers now, so if you see them at your local or favorite online source I would grab both asap if you do not want to wait for a repress.
Update looks like Amz u.s. has both of these coming in again in early Sept for preorder now

Received the BN Classics of Grant Green Idle Moments.

My copy plays clean right out the jacket. Pressed flat. Not hairlines on the disc. Poly inner sleeve.

Sounds really good. Nice separation between instruments. Drums are forward at times in a good way. I'm really pleased with it.

Didn't pick up the Burrell BN Classics this month because I have the AP 45.

My copy plays clean right out the jacket. Pressed flat. Not hairlines on the disc. Poly inner sleeve.

Sounds really good. Nice separation between instruments. Drums are forward at times in a good way. I'm really pleased with it.

You could probably sell the AP and get the BN Classic Burrell and come out even on the $$ and end up with a sonic upgrade. The Classic Burrell is de-Hoffman-ed - a good thing!

Interesting. So Hoffman's contributions are considered detrimental, or Kevin Gray acting along just sounds better?
I would say so. Hoffman doesn't know jazz, has made statements about RVG that are critical (the inference being, he is better) and applied his formula to the AP BN's - hard cut at 20k, roll off the bass at 30, boost the mids - no sizzle to the cymbals so his fans won't complain about 'sibilance' and a plump mid-range so they all say 'oooh - so warm sounding!' - the reverse smiley face EQ. MMJ re-did a bunch of the early 45's to de-Hoffman them. KPG, with or without Joe Harley, is the one who has BN nailed.

Seems about right for the KG house sound and this series. KG seems to like the drums to pop out a little bit more and add a bit of sparkle/sheen on the high end ? That sound correct to you @RHANDMJ ?

Seems about right for the KG house sound and this series. KG seems to like the drums to pop out a little bit more and add a bit of sparkle/sheen on the high end ? That sound correct to you @RHANDMJ ?
Generally, Hoffman smooths things out to suit his flock. Smooth, nice, no hot cymbals or top end, and plump it up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Lower the master volume control so his folks will think there is greater dynamic range.

That's not how RVG and Alfred Lion recorded or intended it.

KPG learned from the MMJ series and Joe Harley. He tends to do less EQ adjustment than Hoffman does. He sticks to the RVG BN sound, which can be hot and direct, but brings elements to the fore - the kick drum, for example. RVG would limit the top and KPG brings it back, and deepens the bass. Greater clarity and instrumental tonality, but still keeping with the RVG/BN esthetic. More of the room, more of the sound bouncing off the walls and ceiling - in particular Englewood.

Hoffman AP's had none of that.

I was listening to Art Blakey Free For All today and man what lit a fire under his ass. Typically he’s a mountain of swing. His ever present grove is just unmovable and heavy, but of Free For All he’s almost a free jazz octopus.
One of my favorite jazz records of all time. It just has something that no other record has.

Back