The Blue Note Thread

My favorite Hi-Fi listening lounge in LA has pivoted to being an online platform post-COVID and they just published this incredible interview with Joe Harley. Really fun and fascinating read into the Tone Poet series. Show some love!

Ah, I've only known of In Sheeps Clothing since they pivoted so, while I'm on their site regularly, I had no clue what they were. Good to know. Amazing content regularly on that site, and fantastic music (to my ears) in their online shop.

My favorite Hi-Fi listening lounge in LA has pivoted to being an online platform post-COVID and they just published this incredible interview with Joe Harley. Really fun and fascinating read into the Tone Poet series. Show some love!

Is this the place in Highland Park? I’ve wanted to go, but can’t justify the trip in.

Ah, I've only known of In Sheeps Clothing since they pivoted so, while I'm on their site regularly, I had no clue what they were. Good to know. Amazing content regularly on that site, and fantastic music (to my ears) in their online shop.
Is this the place in Highland Park? I’ve wanted to go, but can’t justify the trip in.
It was in the arts district tucked behind a random door at a pretty mediocre pizzeria, you walked through the door and were treated to this sight. Japanese whisky and hi-fi records until 2AM. They would actually ask you to leave if you were being too loud, that was my favorite part. They no longer hold the space because of COVID but they’ve done an excellent job at keeping the dream alive through their online presence.
933FBBA4-E0B9-4929-84C6-C97B85585561.jpeg

It was in the arts district tucked behind a random door at a pretty mediocre pizzeria, you walked through the door and were treated to this sight. Japanese whisky and hi-fi records until 2AM. They would actually ask you to leave if you were being too loud, that was my favorite part. They no longer hold the space because of COVID but they’ve done an excellent job at keeping the dream alive through their online presence.
View attachment 89468
The prices and curation on their online store is not too bad! Yea the Blue Whale shut down.

The prices and curation on their online store is not too bad! Yea the Blue Whale shut down.
Nope! They price very fairly and they’re great guys to support. I told one of their curators in passing once that I was looking to get the Live Ryo Fukui albums but hesitated because of the shipping price, he went ahead and ordered them for me and had me just pay the price of the record itself. Was pretty awesome and unexpected.

Nice read. And great place, sorry to hear they lost there space. Those jazz lounges in Tokyo are incredible vibe. Must of been great to have one locally although I gave up the drink 10 years ago now. I'll talk to you about the online thing soon. I took a quick look at there site and did not quite get it.

View attachment 89468
That looks incredible, and it explains why ISC has this "Jazz Kissa" book on their site. (sold out again for the 2nd time, but I found a copy elsewhere) Jazz Kissa – Gateway To Jazz Kissa Vol.1 (English Version) ZINE | In Sheeps Clothing

View attachment 89468
Wow this is stunning. There is a place in London that has similar vibes called Spiritland which I have been meaning to visit for ages.
That looks incredible, and it explains why ISC has this "Jazz Kissa" book on their site. (sold out again for the 2nd time, but I found a copy elsewhere) Jazz Kissa – Gateway To Jazz Kissa Vol.1 (English Version) ZINE | In Sheeps Clothing
Really fantastic magazine, im hoping Volume 2 will get an English print as well

Nope! They price very fairly and they’re great guys to support. I told one of their curators in passing once that I was looking to get the Live Ryo Fukui albums but hesitated because of the shipping price, he went ahead and ordered them for me and had me just pay the price of the record itself. Was pretty awesome and unexpected.

that article on Lamont young and the longest running sound instillation was good.

Heads up: I just got a shipping confirmation for uDiscover on Lee Morgan's Cornbread (Tone Poet) that I order last November during the "$10 OFF" coupon frenzy. That probably means that item is getting restocked.

I'm super excited because that's one of my top 10 favorite jazz albums. My BN75 pressing has been serviceable (same with my BN75 copy of Search for a New Land), but I'm stoked to get this upgrade at an obscenely low price.

If Cornbread is getting restocked, I wonder if other hot-ticket Tone Poets will start reappearing soon.

Heads up: I just got a shipping confirmation for uDiscover on Lee Morgan's Cornbread (Tone Poet) that I order last November during the "$10 OFF" coupon frenzy. That probably means that item is getting restocked.

I'm super excited because that's one of my top 10 favorite jazz albums. My BN75 pressing has been serviceable (same with my BN75 copy of Search for a New Land), but I'm stoked to get this upgrade at an obscenely low price.

If Cornbread is getting restocked, I wonder if other hot-ticket Tone Poets will start reappearing soon.

Not seeing any restocks yet at any other "bigger online outlets". I wonder what the logistics are for something like Amazon (where you are not able to back order right now unless you order from 3rd party). But I am hopeful for some of the one's I have missed early on (ie Cornbread, Search For New Land, Sidewinder, Nigeria, etc.). But seeing I am getting new speakers this month, a quiet month or two is welcome. :)

Last edited:
Not seeing any restocks yet at any other "bigger online outlets" yet. I wonder what the logistics are for something like Amazon (where you are not able to back order right now unless you order from 3rd party). But I am hopeful for some of the one's I have missed early on (ie Cornbread, Search For New Land, Sidewinder, Nigeria, etc.). But seeing I am getting new speakers this month, a quiet month or two is welcome. :)
Nigeria is the only one I paid full price for (well, kinda; I traded in some records to my local in exchange for it) and it was worth it.

I was reading a few comments yesterday (not on N&G) about how there supposedly isn't that many extra recordings from Lee Morgan's Lighthouse session and that a lot of the new box set will be false starts and the like. I'm no expert but from a basic search this isn't likely to be the case at all. In fact, the majority of the recordings were never issued and because they recorded 4-sets there wouldn't have been any false starts as it wasn't a studio session.

I know I'm preaching to the wrong crowd and we will never really know until the details are released, but I find it mad that people would bash something before its even been released. Anyway, here's the official set of recordings that were taken from those performances, and therefore likely to be the ones we get to hear (many of which will be for the first time):

IMG_8671.jpg

Back