The Blue Note Thread

Done and done
View attachment 88657

Edit: Well, I can’t seem to figure out how to attach an image form mobile, but I ordered the album. Due out April 9th. I’m not gonna stream it beforehand, so it’s new to me when it arrives.
That opening title track is gonna blow your mind. I’m actually a little jealous you get to hear it with fresh ears. It’s quite possibly THE hard bop tune.

Great, Contours is quite different to the others, but It's really good, one of my favourites ! These are not limited pressings either ,so if you want something don't pay excess as they will be repressed eventually .
Yeah, I came across a Lou Donaldson album on spotify earlier this week that I really liked. So, I stopped by the store after a dentist appointment today. They didn’t have that, but I knew I like Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up, so I picked up this one when I saw it. Then I grabbed Baby Face Willette - Face to Face because I remember liking his organ sound.
So happy with both of those pickups. They both blew me away more than I had expected.

So, after listening to those, I looked at what else they had to offer and picked and choosed. I listened to about 3 songs or so off albums to see if I liked the sound.
These are the ones I chose for now.
Sam Rivers - Contours
Lou Donaldson - Mr Shing-a-ling
Hank Mobley - Poppin
Donald Byrd - Byrd in Flight
and a Stanley Turrenrine album, but I can’t remember which one I chose.
I really wanted Grant Green - Nigeria, but it seems to be sold out everywhere I looked.

The way the sax is in one speaker and the trumpet in the other.....I can close my eyes and almost feel like I’m in the room. There’s a point in a song where I swear I could hear him take a breath and it almost gave me chills.
What you have described here is a great example of a fantastic soundstage. The idea being that if you close your eyes and listen you can visualise where each musician would be standing in the room based from the sounds alone.

I regards to your point about Kind Of Blue, don't be afraid to dig into the more well-known albums. They are the most popular for a reason and from those, you can pick out certain musicians that you seem to like more than others and dig into their individual releases. For example, if you liked the piano work then it would be Bill Evans (apart from 1 track where its Wynton Kelly) and you could look into his albums like 'Waltz For Debby' and 'Sunday At The Village Vanguard' etc.

1959 was a FANTASTIC year for jazz and you could even use that as a starting point. Just some of the records that were released that year include Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out, Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um, Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come, etc.

Finally I 100% echo the comments of love for Lee Morgan. He is my favourite jazz musician and he really is a fantastic musician.

What you have described here is a great example of a fantastic soundstage. The idea being that if you close your eyes and listen you can visualise where each musician would be standing in the room based from the sounds alone.

I regards to your point about Kind Of Blue, don't be afraid to dig into the more well-known albums. They are the most popular for a reason and from those, you can pick out certain musicians that you seem to like more than others and dig into their individual releases. For example, if you liked the piano work then it would be Bill Evans (apart from 1 track where its Wynton Kelly) and you could look into his albums like 'Waltz For Debby' and 'Sunday At The Village Vanguard' etc.

1959 was a FANTASTIC year for jazz and you could even use that as a starting point. Just some of the records that were released that year include Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out, Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um, Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come, etc.

Finally I 100% echo the comments of love for Lee Morgan. He is my favourite jazz musician and he really is a fantastic musician.

I do love Kind of Blue. That and a live Allman Brothers album were my music of choice while cooking for like the entirety of my 30's. I don't think I've heard Time Out once. I see it fucking everywhere, though. ha. Maybe after I emerge from this little rabbit hole I've fallen into.

I'm, actually, listening to The Cooker by Lee Morgan as we speak, based off recommendations earlier in this thread. I'm a big fan of this, so far. There's a part I just passed where its a long piano part that goes into drums, then saxophone and I'm here for this. I backed it up to listen to that part again.

I do love Kind of Blue. That and a live Allman Brothers album were my music of choice while cooking for like the entirety of my 30's. I don't thnk I've heard Time Out once. I see if fucking everywhere, though. ha. Maybe after I emerge from this little rabbit hole I've fallen into.

I'm, actually, listening to The Cooker by Lee Morgan as we speak, based off recommendations earlier in this thread. I'm a big fan of this, so far. There's a part I just passed where its a long piano part that goes into drums, then saxophone and I'm here for this. I backed it up to listen to that part again.
The Cooker has only really recently become seen as one of his best. The vinyl prices have shot up astronomically over the past couple of years anyway.

If you like the Cooker I would suggest trying Morgans 'Volume 3' (the track 'Hassan's Dream' is one of my favourites), 'Leeway' (Jackie McClean's sax pairs perfectly with Morgan), 'The Sidewinder' (which was Blue Notes best selling record ever), or 'Search For The New Land' (which builds a musical narrative, it could be a soundtrack in my opinion).

The Cooker has only really recently become seen as one of his best. The vinyl prices have shot up astronomically over the past couple of years anyway.

If you like the Cooker I would suggest trying Morgans 'Volume 3' (the track 'Hassan's Dream' is one of my favourites), 'Leeway' (Jackie McClean's sax pairs perfectly with Morgan), 'The Sidewinder' (which was Blue Notes best selling record ever), or 'Search For The New Land' (which builds a musical narrative, it could be a soundtrack in my opinion).

You inspired me to throw on Leeway (lucky enough to have the MM33). Damn, forgot how much I loved this album.

Search for New Land still blows my mind when I listen to it.

Another question? Anyone else’s Byrd in Flight have ticking on track two? It almost sounds like something in the recording

Thanks!! Seriously looked there the other day and it wasn't available or so I thought. I see Sidewinder is also available to order again so maybe updated recently.

YES it was ridiculous how much effort it took to get the record out. Like they vacuum packed it in the paper sleeve somehow lol

An update for those that may be looking for these as well -- can confirm Speak No Evil is in stock on the BN website, I ordered and it has already shipped. Sidewinder LP looks like it is out of stock again since my last post.

Back