The Blue Note Thread

Indestructible and Free For All. The Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!! release on Impulse! is great too.
Feel like that Impulse album gets overlooked, I find myself returning to it so often. The first 3 songs are some of my favorites from his entire catalogue, incredibly catchy choruses and excellent playing from the band all around.

I was reading a few comments yesterday (not on N&G) about how there supposedly isn't that many extra recordings from Lee Morgan's Lighthouse session and that a lot of the new box set will be false starts and the like. I'm no expert but from a basic search this isn't likely to be the case at all. In fact, the majority of the recordings were never issued and because they recorded 4-sets there wouldn't have been any false starts as it wasn't a studio session.

I know I'm preaching to the wrong crowd and we will never really know until the details are released, but I find it mad that people would bash something before its even been released. Anyway, here's the official set of recordings that were taken from those performances, and therefore likely to be the ones we get to hear (many of which will be for the first time):

View attachment 89603
How can you have false starts on a live date? If you flub the intro, which would be pretty amateurish, you just go straight back in and start over and get a complete take. But that is exceptionally rare live. Usually, if there is a flub, you just keep on going. These guys are pros, after all. They weren't practicing up there.

How can you have false starts on a live date? If you flub the intro, which would be pretty amateurish, you just go straight back in and start over and get a complete take. But that is exceptionally rare live. Usually, if there is a flub, you just keep on going. These guys are pros, after all. They weren't practicing up there.
Yeah that's exactly my point, makes no sense haha

I was reading a few comments yesterday (not on N&G) about how there supposedly isn't that many extra recordings from Lee Morgan's Lighthouse session and that a lot of the new box set will be false starts and the like. I'm no expert but from a basic search this isn't likely to be the case at all. In fact, the majority of the recordings were never issued and because they recorded 4-sets there wouldn't have been any false starts as it wasn't a studio session.

I know I'm preaching to the wrong crowd and we will never really know until the details are released, but I find it mad that people would bash something before its even been released. Anyway, here's the official set of recordings that were taken from those performances, and therefore likely to be the ones we get to hear (many of which will be for the first time):

View attachment 89603

A quick calculation, because it's Friday evening, and I'm avoiding doing anymore work.

over 3 nights, we have 12 sets, 26 songs? (I may have miscounted)

12 unique tracks

The OG release only had 4 tracks, run time approx 70 minutes over 2 discs, about 18 minutes a side.

the extended 3 cd issue from 1996, had 12 tracks plus an intro. (1 version of each track), this run to about 180 minutes. If we assume average length of a side of vinyl is about 20 minutes, this would stretch to 9 sides, possibly 5 discs.

We then have another 12-14 songs (different versions), assuming these are all the same length as on the cd (which you know they will have left out some of the lengthier jams), it would give you at least 18 sides, or 9 discs. it's surely not a stretch to think there is enough material there to fill 12 LPs.

By the way, @Selaws what's the book?

A quick calculation, because it's Friday evening, and I'm avoiding doing anymore work.

over 3 nights, we have 12 sets, 26 songs? (I may have miscounted)

12 unique tracks

The OG release only had 4 tracks, run time approx 70 minutes over 2 discs, about 18 minutes a side.

the extended 3 cd issue from 1996, had 12 tracks plus an intro. (1 version of each track), this run to about 180 minutes. If we assume average length of a side of vinyl is about 20 minutes, this would stretch to 9 sides, possibly 5 discs.

We then have another 12-14 songs (different versions), assuming these are all the same length as on the cd (which you know they will have left out some of the lengthier jams), it would give you at least 18 sides, or 9 discs. it's surely not a stretch to think there is enough material there to fill 12 LPs.

By the way, @Selaws what's the book?
Great calculations! While I would be surprised if they included this, there is also the 'warm up' session that took place at the 'Both / And Club' in San Francisco a couple of weeks before. Technically this wouldn't be classed as the Lighthouse session but it has been noted a few times as being the precursor to it and it was recorded professionally for FM radio so theres a decent source to be worked with. Honestly though, I don't even think it would be needed, as you said there is plenty of material from the 4 Lighthouse dates alone!

Its actually from a recent purchase, 'The Blue Note Label - A Discography' by Michael Cuscuna and Michel Ruppli. I also bought the Savoy and Prestige books as well, they are fantastic although pretty tricky to find nowerdays. The same info for the Lee Morgan Lighthouse recordings can be found in his biography as well (it either the Jeff McMillan book or the Tom Perchard book, cant quite remember).

IMG_8690.JPG

Great calculations! While I would be surprised if they included this, there is also the 'warm up' session that took place at the 'Both / And Club' in San Francisco a couple of weeks before. Technically this wouldn't be classed as the Lighthouse session but it has been noted a few times as being the precursor to it and it was recorded professionally for FM radio so theres a decent source to be worked with. Honestly though, I don't even think it would be needed, as you said there is plenty of material from the 4 Lighthouse dates alone!

Its actually from a recent purchase, 'The Blue Note Label - A Discography' by Michael Cuscuna and Michel Ruppli. I also bought the Savoy and Prestige books as well, they are fantastic although pretty tricky to find nowerdays. The same info for the Lee Morgan Lighthouse recordings can be found in his biography as well (it either the Jeff McMillan book or the Tom Perchard book, cant quite remember).

View attachment 89666

Looks like a pretty cool book. (Looks a little like The 'Blue Note' Bible).

Looks like a pretty cool book. (Looks a little like The 'Blue Note' Bible).
Its really great. It collates every session ever recorded for blue note (plus any they purchased through acquisitions and mergers etc) and lists out every track and notes if/when it was issued. There is also a lengthy section on the history of the label and a photographic essay. Just shy of 1000 pages so its pretty chunky!

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I'm new) but can anyone tell me whether the Classic Series editions are limited? I can't seem to find any info indicating one way or the other. Because of recent distribution issues in Canada, it seems that none of the 2021 releases have made it to stores here, and I'm seeing that Blue Note is (at least temporarily) showing that the Horace Silver & Cannonball Adderly releases are already sold out.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I'm new) but can anyone tell me whether the Classic Series editions are limited? I can't seem to find any info indicating one way or the other. Because of recent distribution issues in Canada, it seems that none of the 2021 releases have made it to stores here, and I'm seeing that Blue Note is (at least temporarily) showing that the Horace Silver & Cannonball Adderly releases are already sold out.

not limited, but they are struggling to press enough to keep up with demand. They will get repressed.

Any other Canadian buyers notice that the pre-orders for the latest Blue Note Classic series (non-gatefold Moanin' and Soul Station) are listed at the same pre-order price ($32.41 CDN) as the single LP gatefold Tone Poets? Conversely, Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (Vinyl) and Joe Henderson - Page One (the two previous "Classics") were selling for a pre-order price of ($25.93 CDN).

Any other Canadian buyers notice that the pre-orders for the latest Blue Note Classic series (non-gatefold Moanin' and Soul Station) are listed at the same pre-order price ($32.41 CDN) as the single LP gatefold Tone Poets? Conversely, Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (Vinyl) and Joe Henderson - Page One (the two previous "Classics") were selling for a pre-order price of ($25.93 CDN).
I noticed that as well. I pre-ordered both last week when they showed up on amazon.ca. I have purchased quite a few of the BN reissues through them and about 1/4 would show up in the store high, but close to release date they would come back down again.

Back