The Blue Note Thread

Trying to navigate eBay, any tips?
Can’t give ya all the tips because there are lots and also then we all end up outbidding each other on stuff haha. ;)

I will say that I search more generically especially with blue note stuff or other specific jazz labels. I also make heavy use of the watchlist feature and use the phone app to get reminders when 15 min remain on bids. I don’t bid it up when there is tons of time left. If there are no bids yet, I’ll bid the minimum amount. Outside of that I wait until there are a few minutes left. Also make sure you have a set limit you want to spend on something and don’t go over it. It’s easy to get sucked in and keep bidding something up.

Also filters are your friends. There are TONS of pressings of Blue Note and other jazz that ship from Japan and I typically filter those out unless I’m looking for something specific.

I might have missed it in the thread, but has Blue Note published a list of all their 80's anniversary releases edition?

I'm more and more interested in hard bop, so I'm thinking it could be a good opportunity to acquire quality pressings for descent prices.

So on third listen I don’t find Patton as distracting on Natural Soul. I especially like what Donaldson, Green and Turrentine are laying down on the set.

I’m new to Green, I’ve got Idle Moments and Afro-disiac. I’m fairly certain that’s a rabbit hole I’ll be exploring.

My question is this though, is the playing here typical of Patton? What are some standout albums he’s featured on that I should check out?

Speaking of Moanin’ does anyone have a good budget pressing they recommend? Keep having bad luck when it comes to buying blue note jazz pressings in stores lol. Had a Blue Note 75 Sidewinder pressing that projected a very bizarre electric sounding distortion at the high ends, ended up returning it.
My rule of thumb is just avoid all 75th anniversary pressings. As far as good budget pressings, I guess it depends on how you define budget. It’s a pretty popular record and lately as early pressings of Blue Note records have been spiking in price, people have been moving on to other reissues and those are going up now too. I like the UA pressings quite a lot but looks like even those are at $50 on discogs now. If I see any good priced versions, will shoot you a message!

My rule of thumb is just avoid all 75th anniversary pressings. As far as good budget pressings, I guess it depends on how you define budget. It’s a pretty popular record and lately as early pressings of Blue Note records have been spiking in price, people have been moving on to other reissues and those are going up now too. I like the UA pressings quite a lot but looks like even those are at $50 on discogs now. If I see any good priced versions, will shoot you a message!
Hey man, I appreciate that! Can you send me the discogs link to the UA pressings when you get a chance?

Hey man, I appreciate that! Can you send me the discogs link to the UA pressings when you get a chance?

I believe this one has RVG but no nice US copies so shipping seems steep. I find that these UA pressings with the white or black B on them sound pretty good if RVG is in the stamper.

This one also likely sounds good but would want to find a US shipper unless you are ordering multiple records to combine shipping:

Oof...getting sniped left and right on eBay auctions today! Bunch of MM pressings all getting snatched out from under me at the last second. Doh!
The funkyousounds auctions? The ending to that Anaologue Productions Blue Train was nuts! My high bid was a really optimistic 77.75. It went from just under that to over $120 in the last five seconds!

The funkyousounds auctions? The ending to that Anaologue Productions Blue Train was nuts! My high bid was a really optimistic 77.75. It went from just under that to over $120 in the last five seconds!
I got a few things so far (classic records Blue Train) but others keep getting bid beyond what I wanna spend at the last second...

Back