The Blue Note Thread

The only thing I buy (should say bought as I am on an undetermined time length pause right now) via eBay that is Blue Note were 78's, as I don't think I have seen any in the wild (as it is hard to find 78's in the wild in general), otherwise I mainly stick to finding older Blue Notes in the wild.

You can get Mobley's No Room For Squares directly from Acoustic Sounds for $50 shipped media mail in the US. :)

Auction is sitting at $52 + $4 shipping...so, I guess some people don’t know about the Acoustic Sounds deal. 🤔🧐

Thank you.
Gonna see what happens with some of these auctions and then will be grabbin’ No Room For Squares and possibly more.
Cheers!

The only thing I buy (should say bought as I am on an undetermined time length pause right now) via eBay that is Blue Note were 78's, as I don't think I have seen any in the wild (as it is hard to find 78's in the wild in general), otherwise I mainly stick to finding older Blue Notes in the wild.
Found one at a personal collection sale last August. Collector had well over 10,000 I’m guessing. Believe he wanted $15 for the 78 but can’t rememebr exactly who it was.

Thinking back i should have grabbed it although I’d never be able to play it.

There were a handful the last time I was at Twist and Shout in Denver. 12” 78s if I’m not mistaken, though nothing desirable. They might still be there. I think Art Hodes was one of them but don’t really remember.

I get so nervous buying 78’s online and now I double check with the seller before they ship to make sure they are sufficiently packed. I bought two Elvis 78’s (Heartbreak Hotel and All Shook Up) for a reasonable price but they arrived in a million pieces because the person only put them in a standard mailer between two thin pieces of cardboard. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Yea I need to go back to only buying in the wild...I get on eBay kicks every once in awhile and buy too many at once. Especially now that I’ve gone down the Japanese press and music Matters/AP hole...

Does anyone have anything to say about this press?
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/12004/Kenny_Dorham-Afro_Cuban_mono-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Seems like it’s this pressing—

Afro-Cuban for $40 seems decent though.
Gonna go ahead and assume it’s not all analogue though.
“Transferred from the first-generation full track mono masters.”

Yea I need to go back to only buying in the wild...I get on eBay kicks every once in awhile and buy too many at once. Especially now that I’ve gone down the Japanese press and music Matters/AP hole...
Yeah, I need to stop this obsessing over this. At this point, I hope I loose all of my auctions because I can’t sustain what I’m plannng here.

I said I was done but then mistakenly looked at the auctions again... aiming for Duke Jordan Flight to jordan and Elvin Jones Trio Puttin It Together...
I completely forgot that I had planned on bidding on that Elvin Jones - Dear John C!

I'm headed down to the outer banks of NC right now and while my wife is driving, one of my primary distractions has been these funkyousounds auctions. I've only won two things so far. Some of them have gotten completely out of control! For example:

After I lost this, I bought a NM copy on discogs for $75. I've been chasing a good copy of this for a while now. It's pretty surprising how high some of these end up going for. I keep checking discogs prices and putting in bids appropriate for the pressing and condition based on that and then it just overshoots anything reasonable by a mile.

There's still a ton of stuff ending today/ through the next week. I'm trying really hard not to look....

I never really had much luck finding stuff in the wild. I'm also pretty lazy wrt garage sales and that sort of thing, and the shops near me always price by Discogs (which is reasonable but never a deal). So the internet is the only way I've even gotten good prices.

Plus, I love swooping in and sniping that ebay auction. It's pretty addicting, I legit got a thrill hitting bid on some of these in the last seconds.

I get so nervous buying 78’s online and now I double check with the seller before they ship to make sure they are sufficiently packed. I bought two Elvis 78’s (Heartbreak Hotel and All Shook Up) for a reasonable price but they arrived in a million pieces because the person only put them in a standard mailer between two thin pieces of cardboard. Needless to say, I was pissed.
Yes it is nerve-racking, I usually look for sellers that pretty much only have 78's because they should be experienced in shipping them, I have had great luck

Plus, I love swooping in and sniping that ebay auction. It's pretty addicting, I legit got a thrill hitting bid on some of these in the last seconds.

Agreed...the amount of times when it gets down to 10 seconds and I enter a new final bid is pretty fun and its exciting when you win. But then that's also how you get what @johnpisme mentioned above, where something goes WAY beyond market price. I always research the stuff I want to buy on discogs/other ebay listings/blue note's site to know the max of what I'd want to spend on something and where else I can get a copy.

Don't have a TON of AP pressings and forgot to look over on acoustic sounds' website itself to see what I can get their pressings new for sometimes, so I'm glad @Doctor_of_Jazz pointed that out because I checked prices elsewhere but forgot to go straight to the source somehow.

I won three things from fonkyousounds and they were all pretty well below market price and while others were looking at those, snatched some of other MM pressings for around $30-$35 from another seller. Trying hard not to look at the new auctions fonkyousounds put up but I need some time to just sit down and listen to and enjoy the stuff I just bought. eBay makes it too easy to buy records and pay more than you want to on them sometimes. I also sometimes get stuck in the zone (happened when I first started too) of buying things just because they are good value instead of stuff I truly love to listen to.

Back