The Blue Note Thread

So I've just ordered my first Blue Note records, all Blue Note 80's. I spent some time going through the discogs information for the series and did some corresponding Apple Music streaming to have some sample pre-listens, but I'll be going in blind on most of these so I'm excited to get my jazz collection padded out.

In the end, I've ordered:

Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner vol 1 & 2
Art Blakey - Indestructible
Art Blakey - Buhaina's Delight
Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright
Grant Green - Alive!
Herbie Hancock - Takin' off
Horace Silver - Doin' the Thing at the Village
Joe Henderson - In'N Out
Lee Konitz - Alone Together
Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo
These are all GREAT choices, I'm sure you'll enjoy them a lot. One that doesn't get enough praise IMO is that Lee Konitz record. Brad is just out of this world on that record, and the way the blends in, yet contrasts with Konitz's and Haden's more traditional playing is superb.

These are all GREAT choices, I'm sure you'll enjoy them a lot. One that doesn't get enough praise IMO is that Lee Konitz record. Brad is just out of this world on that record, and the way the blends in, yet contrasts with Konitz's and Haden's more traditional playing is superb.
+1!

Had not heard this album before purchasing this round and it's easily one of my Top 10 BN80s

Hmmm..wonder if they repressed or stumbled on an old box. I already got the SRX version, so I'll see how this plays out and if I can make some $ off it. $ that would pay for some of the upcoming SRX titles
Wonder how it compares to the SRX. I know a lot of people said the AP 45 is incredible sounding. I have a Classic Records pressing that I'm perfectly happy with otherwise I'd go for this or the SRX...

Acoustic Sounds has added quite a few BN/AP 45 RPM albums back into stock:

Moanin, Maiden Voyage, Blue Train, Somethin Else, Soul Samba, Idle Moments and Midnight Blue

Acoustic Sounds has added quite a few BN/AP 45 RPM albums back into stock:

Moanin, Maiden Voyage, Blue Train, Somethin Else, Soul Samba, Idle Moments and Midnight Blue
Interesting how many of these overlap with the MMJ releases this year. Hmmm...do I need a fourth copy of Moanin'?

You probably know, but for those who don't, my 60k was a clumsy reference to Enoch's famous departure from the forum where he tried to defend asking people here to pay what I think was the total median discogs price for his collection, $60k, and acted like he was doing us a favor by letting us know before he listed it anywhere else. Same deal. People living in a dream land thinking that they can get those prices without selling individually.

Enoch reached out to me around when he was leaving to see if I wanted to buy his remaining credits for literally the dollar amount they were worth. I obviously had to politely decline.
I get having a bit of OCD and then buyers remorse (very guilty of it), but you gotta realize that you're likely not going to recoup all costs when selling your stuff.

I don't use those discogs numbers for actual worth of my collection. More as a gentle reminder of how stupid I've been with money over the years...

Enoch reached out to me around when he was leaving to see if I wanted to buy his remaining credits for literally the dollar amount they were worth. I obviously had to politely decline.
I get having a bit of OCD and then buyers remorse (very guilty of it), but you gotta realize that you're likely not going to recoup all costs when selling your stuff.

I don't use those discogs numbers for actual worth of my collection. More as a gentle reminder of how stupid I've been with money over the years...
Same. I’m selling off about 200 records or so on Discogs that I just don’t listen to. I was passively selling them and trying to get near the average but I have to consistently drop the price in order to get people to buy them, especially for the common stuff. Discogs is great for guesstimating but the truth is somewhere closer to the minimum for selling.

Back