The Blue Note Thread

Are you saying Blue Train is the best album? Or the AP is the best version? Or were you talking about the MMJ version? A little back-and-forth on the Hoffman forums today about stereo vs. mono, 45 vs 33 SRX, etc.
Blue Train is Coltrane’s only BN session and IMO the best BN period. Not debating pressing quality that’s probably splitting hairs between AP and MM/SRX.

Are you saying Blue Train is the best album? Or the AP is the best version? Or were you talking about the MMJ version? A little back-and-forth on the Hoffman forums today about stereo vs. mono, 45 vs 33 SRX, etc.
Would you happen to have a link to that discussion? Interested to see what those crazy audiophiles have to say about this

It's hilarious to report that the discussion is scattered throughout pages 933-935 of PART SEVEN of the Music Matters Jazz reissues thread: Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Enjoy!
Their site used to be capped at a much lower page count per thread. Can't remember what it was but definitely way lower than that.

If you go back far enough, you might figure out who I was on that forum when you see me complaining about the lies and price gouging when it happened and all the stuffy dudes on there who already owned them all saying it serves me right for not buying them all already. 😄 Brings me back.

For me, Blue Trane is a good session... but it's far from the best Coltrane and far from the best BN.
Agree and agree. It is by no means a bad record... but it has just acquired a larger-than-life aura due to the fact that it is the only album by one of Jazz biggest artists in jazz biggest label. Had Coltrane recorded more stuff on Blue Note, or had Blue Trane been released on Impulse or Atlantic this session wouldn't be so highly regarded as it is.

But I do respect and understand those who love it. We all like different stuff, and our favorite album can either be the most obscure or most celebrated release by an artist, and both will be fine.

Because the company sucks. It's as simple as that. Wait it out. It's not like there will never be a audiophile repress of all these albums.
I wonder if we ever see any represses for sub 50 prices though. Between AP, Mobile Fidelity, MMJ, etc., there is nobody out there aside from Blue Note themselves releasing AAA jazz records at a sub $40 price point. At least not the standards.

I wonder if we ever see any represses for sub 50 prices though. Between AP, Mobile Fidelity, MMJ, etc., there is nobody out there aside from Blue Note themselves releasing AAA jazz records at a sub $40 price point. At least not the standards.
We'll probably only see a significant decrease if a new company starts undercutting them or if jazz audiophiles stop being such suckers and stop paying these prices.

Back