The Blue Note Thread

I wonder if we ever see any represses for sub 50 prices though. Between AP, Mobile Fidelity, MMJ, etc., there is nobody out there aside from Blue Note themselves releasing AAA jazz records at a sub $40 price point. At least not the standards.
I think it would be good business for Blue Note to reissue the classics in a similar way to the Tone Poet releases. A drip feed of a couple of classics each month over a prolonged period would be nice.

For now I'm happy to stay away from the overpriced VMP / MM etc issues and pick up some reasonably priced Japanese King pressings in the meantime.

My day was made this morning when I was notified the Black Pumas are stopping in Harrisburg in May. Grabbed tickets for the Mrs. and me. Central PA finally has a venue to bring in some great bands in Club XL. While on their site, snagged some for Low Cut Connie as well.

My day was made this morning when I was notified the Black Pumas are stopping in Harrisburg in May. Grabbed tickets for the Mrs. and me. Central PA finally has a venue to bring in some great bands in Club XL. While on their site, snagged some for Low Cut Connie as well.
You’re in for a treat. They are great live and the band is super nice as well.

It's not like there will never be a audiophile repress of all these albums.
I think about this all the freakin' time! First in the 90s there was the Connoisseur series (and the digital CD). Then we have Mobile Fidelity and MM33. Then MM45. Now SRX.

Each of these iterations moving to a better technology, with better audio resolution and listener experience. HOWEVER, with each resourcing of the master (and time passing), those tapes are degrading. Does the technology surpass the degradation of original tape quality (assuming the masters even exist after the Universal Studios Fire). Or is a constant one-upness of "BEST" to get the top of the line experience? Often I get lost in the technology of it all and forget that my HEARING is degrading over time and probably can't distinguish between one or the other. But... I'll say this. I full well know I'm in the middle of this debacle and it brings me very close to the actual music, listening closer than ever, and enjoying the sticky-pudding out of it all. :D

Has anyone here streamed the new Charles Lloyd live album? I'm currently listening, and it's sounding pretty good. The vinyl is a little bit pricey for a 2LP set (I'm talking about the standard release, not the deluxe one), but I may bite if the sound quality is somewhere near as good as the music.

I came home from Nashville last night to a bunch of new Blue Notes: Art Taylor's A.T. Delight, Brian Blades Fellowship (both BN 80s), and Grant Green's Nigeria (TP). But the real excitement for me was a copy of Tina Brooks' True Blue (MM). This has been a white whale for me over the last 6 months, constantly losing out on different eBay auctions by a buck or 2. I think I bid on 6-8 different versions and kept losing so very happy to have this one.

Thought I would share this here. For the longest while I have pushed back on picking up reissues by Lee Morgan, mainly because I have been super lucky in the past and managed to get first presses for near the same price as the audiophile represses. I decided to chance this one from Classic Records after finding it at a really great price and being recommended the series. Im glad i did because its superb! The audio is stunning and their attention to detail is brilliant, even down to the repo label and deep groove. Great stuff for sure!

IMG_3944.JPG

Thought I would share this here. For the longest while I have pushed back on picking up reissues by Lee Morgan, mainly because I have been super lucky in the past and managed to get first presses for near the same price as the audiophile represses. I decided to chance this one from Classic Records after finding it at a really great price and being recommended the series. Im glad i did because its superb! The audio is stunning and their attention to detail is brilliant, even down to the repo label and deep groove. Great stuff for sure!

View attachment 34874
The Classic Records Blue notes are awesome. I have their pressing of Blue Train and it’s excellent!

Gatefold of The Cooker

6DQyljx.jpg

View attachment 35058

Postman brought me a hell of a haul today
Happy to report that I have listened to True Blue and Search For The New Land so far, and both sound stellar. I am really interested to see what people who have other versions of SFTNL think of this SRX pressing. To my ears it sounds great, especially Grant Green's guitar, but I only have spotify as a basis for comparison. The way these SRX's are pressed and mastered highlights the subtleties in the music really well. I was picking up some quiet guitar picking in parts that I had never noticed before. Wayne Shorter is also on one during this session. Nearly upstages Lee Morgan on his own record!

Excited to spin Soul Station tomorrow.

They're only records .

True enough. Thanks for the reminder. Whenever I catch myself envious of other's things, I'm always reminded of the Bertrand Russell* quote, "Envy is one of the most potent causes of unhappiness". (* I'm pretty sure it's attributed to Russell)

And still...if they get restocked, I'll likely be fast on the trigger.

Just ordered some of the discounted Blue Notes from Acoustic Sounds. I have no idea what it will cost, ordering to the UK but even after I've submitted the order there is no indication of shipping costs. I hope it's reasonable, they have some great albums.

Back