The Blue Note Thread

Yeah don't go overboard, have a listen to some of the other albums and see if it's what you will listen to, they are really well done ans seem to be available in the States for a good price, just don't get sucked in and think you need them all .
Just picked up my first Tone Poet and definitely impressed. This might be bad for my wallet.

View attachment 31611

Crazy to see what the Acoustic Sounds sale did to their best sellers list. Im currently waiting on my first order and about to crack and place a second one. I’m weak.

Yeah don't go overboard, have a listen to some of the other albums and see if it's what you will listen to, they are really well done ans seem to be available in the States for a good price, just don't get sucked in and think you need them all .
Totally, the Lee Morgan was an album I've been wanting a decent copy of for some time. Seems like these would fill in some BN gaps in my collection nicely

This is NOT the thread to show constraint! You need ALL OF THEM @TransformerMan!

(And you won't be disappointed.)

🤑🤑🤑

If they’re not going to press anymore of the SRX when they’re sold, maybe the MM license will run out and possibly we could get BN80 I’d TP like presses of the classic blue notes at reasonable prices

If they’re not going to press anymore of the SRX when they’re sold, maybe the MM license will run out and possibly we could get BN80 I’d TP like presses of the classic blue notes at reasonable prices

I've wondered about that. I highly doubt we'd get Tone Poet duplications of any of the Music Matters titles, as I thought the focus of TPs was on "Underrated Classics and Modern Era Standouts". BUT, last year there were BN80 releases of Art Blakey - Indestructible and Johnny Griffin - Introducing (which had just gotten an SRX pressing), so clearly there must be some flexibility with the licensing. I mean I like the MM jackets better, but not $35 better.

(...Says the guy who just received 3 Music Matters titles in the mail today.)

I've wondered about that. I highly doubt we'd get Tone Poet duplications of any of the Music Matters titles, as I thought the focus of TPs was on "Underrated Classics and Modern Era Standouts". BUT, last year there were BN80 releases of Art Blakey - Indestructible and Johnny Griffin - Introducing (which had just gotten an SRX pressing), so clearly there must be some flexibility with the licensing. I mean I like the MM jackets better, but not $35 better.

Yeah, where did you grab that Blakey from?

You’re right, I’d be happy with a BN80 press of something else. I wonder if they will extend the Bn80 run after April.

I’m also thinking it would make sense for them to do a classic blue note series on a par with the TP’s, but it probably eat into Joe Harleys MM profits. If they stop pressing them for MM that would change.

Yeah, where did you grab that Blakey from?

BN80 Indestructible? Amazon.ca for $25 CDN and free shipping.

Moanin’ SRX? Music Matters for $75 USD + ~$15 shipping.

Clearly Indestructible was a much better value, although I’ll definitely listen to Moanin’ more as I know it better (and spent more on it.)

Yeah don't let the cheap jackets fool you, the BN80s sound incredible, and the pressings are top notch. Indestructible might be the best sounding one too. Basra is impeccable, I ordered it back during the BN store's holiday sale so it was like $17 and it sounds like one of those MMJ $70 records.

BN80 Indestructible? Amazon.ca for $25 CDN and free shipping.

Moanin’ SRX? Music Matters for $75 USD + ~$15 shipping.

Clearly Indestructible was a much better value, although I’ll definitely listen to Moanin’ more as I know it better (and spent more on it.)
Only 15 shipping?? From Music Matters? Damn they charge me like $30 every time I look...

This is the album that sold me on Grant Green. Absolutely love it, but I think him and Ike Quebec are pure magic together. I definitely recommend streaming it again to see if you dig the sounds hitting your ears.

Easily my third favorite Tone Poet
I agree with @Dark Star Boogie in that it's a great album if you like Green. Not sure it will 100% sell you on him if you don't like him though! I think it's just down to personal preference. Green is one of my favorite jazz guitarists (Jim Hall + Joe Pass probably round out my top 3).
IMG_20200205_173209.jpg

I caved in, and I'm glad I did. I agree with what @Dark Star Boogie said: the Green-Quebec pairing is great. I think what sometimes gets me tired in other Grant Green records is how repetitive his playing can get after a while, but Ike Quebec balances and complements him really good.

So that's another Blue Note reissue that I hadn't planned to pick lol. I hope (or not) I can stick to my planned purchases of BN80s and Tone Poets for the rest of the year:
-Dexter Gordon - Doin' Alright
-Pete LaRoca - Basra
-Tony Williams - Foreign Intrigue
-Duke Ellington - Money Jungle
-Herbie Hancock - The prisoner
-Herbie Hancock - My point of view
-Jackie McLean - Its time!
-Boby Hutcherson - The kicker

Last edited:
Back