The Blue Note Thread

Interesting auction on eBay

Seller has a lot sale of 50 BN and Impulse reissues. Mostly sealed, but also some 'mint' SRX and Music Matter titles, plus some recent VMP jazz titles. He is hoping it will be of interest to someone in the LA area who could do a pickup

Seller has a lot sale of 50 BN and Impulse reissues. Mostly sealed, but also some 'mint' SRX and Music Matter titles, plus some recent VMP jazz titles. He is hoping it will be of interest to someone in the LA area who could do a pickup
Wish i lived in LA!

I'm usually not toooo picky on pressing but when it comes to jazz i want an old press. Still a cool auction tho.

Don't mind me...I'll just pick it up on my lunch break today. I offered him $175. ;)

Has anyone had experience with getting warped record replacements with Acoustic Sounds?

Received my Dippin’ and Peckin’ Time today and threw the first record of Dippin’ on the table and side A had a somewhat gradual rise and fall warp so I played it.

Love that tune, “The Dip.”

Flipped it to side B and the warp was more of a nasty bump so I was too afraid to drop my needle on it. (Even though it’s almost a year old.)

Has anyone had experience with getting warped record replacements with Acoustic Sounds?

Received my Dippin’ and Peckin’ Time today and threw the first record of Dippin’ on the table and side A had a somewhat gradual rise and fall warp so I played it.

Flipped it to side B and the warp was more of a nasty bump so I was too afraid to drop my needle on it. (Even though it’s almost a year old.)
I don’t remember if I’ve ever had to deal with them or not, but they are reputable. I would contact them as soon as you can to get a new disc if possible though. Looks like they are still in stock. Here’s customer service Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

I had this happen with Ike Quebec Blue and Sentimental last year. They had me ship the records and sleeve back. I believe I had to pay shipping back to Acoustic Sounds, but they accepted the return no problem. It took quite some time for me to get the replacement, and it was almost as bad as the one I returned. Some of my records from the recent AP BN sale are pretty warped but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother this time.

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but Amazon and Target are both having a buy 3 albums for the price of 2 deal. Amazon has quite a few Blue Note reissues. Multiple Grant Green LPs, Tina Brooks, Horace Silver, Jazz Messengers, etc. Tone Poets and BN80 reissues.

Also Coltrane LPs.
I grabbed the Chet Baker box set and Miles Prestige box set from Amazon and got the Yes - Fragile One Step for free. Amazon keeps adding things as well--originally only had one TP but they have since added one or two.

I grabbed the Chet Baker box set and Miles Prestige box set from Amazon and got the Yes - Fragile One Step for free. Amazon keeps adding things as well--originally only had one TP but they have since added one or two.

You're gonna love that Miles set. I don't have the boxset (I have all the OJC reissues), but those Prestige albums are some of my favorites. Just solid jazz albums, one after the next. Relaxin is probably my favorite of the bunch.

You're gonna love that Miles set. I don't have the boxset (I have all the OJC reissues), but those Prestige albums are some of my favorites. Just solid jazz albums, one after the next. Relaxin is probably my favorite of the bunch.
I've always been a fan but never actually bought any of the Prestige Miles stuff and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to do so. I'll probably end up selling the Yes-Fragile record so if I do, it will work out to around $50 for each box set!

I bought Ike Quebec's Blue and Sentimental from Acoustic Sounds last year. The glue on the jacket had dried and the seams broke apart. Both records had significant edge warps, and side C or D (can't remember), had the record label pressed so far off-center that a good chunk of the runout groove was under the paper. If you weren't quick at the end of the side, your stylus (or my stylus in this case) would coast across the paper for numerous rotations. Really shitty.

So, basically it was a pretty terrible record. They did send me a replacement, which also had an edge warp on one record. Then they replaced that single record again. I did not have to ship anything back to them. I gave my dad the extra copy.

I also picked up a Muddy Waters Folk Singer 45rpm 2xLP from them. Laden with surface noise. Which is a shame, because that album is very minimalistic, and you end up hearing all the surface noise. They sent out a replacement for that as well. Didn't have to return the original. Which, that too, I passed along to my dad. He has a higher tolerance for surface noise, and it's a free record, though he hates getting up so much for 45s. Granted that Muddy album has like 8 minutes of music per side.

I had this happen with Ike Quebec Blue and Sentimental last year. They had me ship the records and sleeve back. I believe I had to pay shipping back to Acoustic Sounds, but they accepted the return no problem. It took quite some time for me to get the replacement, and it was almost as bad as the one I returned. Some of my records from the recent AP BN sale are pretty warped but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother this time.
Oddly enough, the warp seems less pronounced today, actually finishing up the first song on Side B of Dippin’ at this very moment. Weird thing is that it didn’t leave the turntable since Monday, but seems the bump is nearly insignificant and causes no sound defects that I can tell.

Finally finding time to make it through the other records.

Tempted to place another order soon, but I have a feeling the SRX Soul Station and SRX Search For The New Land are dropping this weekend at some point. So, we’ll see...

Oddly enough, the warp seems less pronounced today, actually finishing up the first song on Side B of Dippin’ at this very moment. Weird thing is that it didn’t leave the turntable since Monday, but seems the bump is nearly insignificant and causes no sound defects that I can tell.

Finally finding time to make it through the other records.

Tempted to place another order soon, but I have a feeling the SRX Soul Station and SRX Search For The New Land are dropping this weekend at some point. So, we’ll see...
I listened to quite a few of my 5 I purchased yesterday. They all sound fantastic but it does remind me that I truly dislike the 45RPM records. I tend to listen to records if I work from home and having to flip the records every 1-2 songs is quite annoying...

I listened to quite a few of my 5 I purchased yesterday. They all sound fantastic but it does remind me that I truly dislike the 45RPM records. I tend to listen to records if I work from home and having to flip the records every 1-2 songs is quite annoying...
Yeah, the only reason I didn't buy any from this sale was the 45RPM factor. I know they are supposed to sound better but to my ears a 33RPM from AP sounds just as good as the 45RPM minus all the flipping!

Back