The Blue Note Thread

I really like it and the TP quality is great as usual. But if you don't like Green generally, I'd probably go with something you really want.
How would you compare it to other Green records? If I'm buying only one or two records of his, and neither MM nor OGs are an option, is this album a good way to go?

What's the general opinion on the Grant Green Tone Poet "Born to be blue"? I'm not huge on Green, but I find his performances interesting every once in a while, depending on his sidemen. Amazon Mexico is selling BTBB for relatively cheap, and I'm debating whether I should buy it or use that money for some other record I actually wanted before seeing the price on this one yesterday.
This is the album that sold me on Grant Green. Absolutely love it, but I think him and Ike Quebec are pure magic together. I definitely recommend streaming it again to see if you dig the sounds hitting your ears.

Easily my third favorite Tone Poet

How would you compare it to other Green records? If I'm buying only one or two records of his, and neither MM nor OGs are an option, is this album a good way to go?
I agree with @Dark Star Boogie in that it's a great album if you like Green. Not sure it will 100% sell you on him if you don't like him though! I think it's just down to personal preference. Green is one of my favorite jazz guitarists (Jim Hall + Joe Pass probably round out my top 3).

What's this about, I wonder? Do they regularly do sales like this?

It’s pretty rare for them to do a sale like this on their own product. The last time I recall this happening was during a Black Friday sale in 2016 or 2017. I remember grabbing the Sidewinder 45 set for $25. I’ve been waiting for another one of these sales to happen. I placed one order Friday and tempted to place another.

It’s pretty rare for them to do a sale like this on their own product. The last time I recall this happening was during a Black Friday sale in 2016 or 2017. I remember grabbing the Sidewinder 45 set for $25. I’ve been waiting for another one of these sales to happen. I placed one order Friday and tempted to place another.
Damn, maybe I’ve some listening to do today then...🤔

Moanin’ is sold out again. I got the “back in stock” email at 7:37 CT and it sold out in about an hour.
I think there's no way it's all gone. I was watching the stock and it went from 82 or so to 0 in about a minute. I'm thinking someone tried to buy out all of the stock and the system allowed them to check out. Once a human gets eyes on that tomorrow, I think the stock will return with several copies.

I think there's no way it's all gone. I was watching the stock and it went from 82 or so to 0 in about a minute. I'm thinking someone tried to buy out all of the stock and the system allowed them to check out. Once a human gets eyes on that tomorrow, I think the stock will return with several copies.
I stand corrected. From John Dark on SHF:

"As for the two current titles, we have Blue Train in stock right now but when they're gone they are gone with no plans for more. Our shipment of Moanin' sold out quickly tonight but we do hope for a few more of that title, but with no specific date. Search for the New Land and Soul Station are planned for release in the middle of this month."

Free for All SRX gone now too. Was 51 copies a couple days ago. Hoffman's has been going on for a couple pages these last few days about how good it is. Guess they swayed people?
I think I’m just going to stay away from SRX. I dislike MM’s pricing and I know if I buy one, I’ll likely want to buy more even though none of these are my favorite jazz records. I’m glad people are enjoying them though!

I think I’m just going to stay away from SRX. I dislike MM’s pricing and I know if I buy one, I’ll likely want to buy more even though none of these are my favorite jazz records. I’m glad people are enjoying them though!
Highly recommended you stay away.
Began as just me wanting 3 or 4 of them.
Now, I might grab them all.
Sonethin’ Else is my least favorite of the ten, *ducks from flying objects*,
and I think I might still grab it.

Highly recommended you stay away.
Began as just me wanting 3 or 4 of them.
Now, I might grab them all.
Sonethin’ Else is my least favorite of the ten, *ducks from flying objects*,
and I think I might still grab it.
I think I am also just over records becoming so expensive for new pressings...$15 became $20 which became $30 which became $50 which is not $70-$100 for one album. It's kinda crazy to me. I like my setup too but I don't think I can truly notice all of the difference between an MM and an SRX or something like that. They seem like incremental upgrades to me and I'd rather spend money on upgrading my system and other life stuff than spending it on one record. Just a personal preference though.

I think I am also just over records becoming so expensive for new pressings...$15 became $20 which became $30 which became $50 which is not $70-$100 for one album. It's kinda crazy to me. I like my setup too but I don't think I can truly notice all of the difference between an MM and an SRX or something like that. They seem like incremental upgrades to me and I'd rather spend money on upgrading my system and other life stuff than spending it on one record. Just a personal preference though.
#truth

Back