The Blue Note Thread

Damn! I haven’t gotten into the SACD game...were the SACDs the same deal with half off?
I don’t have an SACD player but the redbook layers still have the Hoffman/Gray mastering which is the draw for me. They had a bunch that were half off and then also a 10 cd bundle for $100 which is 2/3 off list price. And free shipping on the bundle too!

Hey, does anyone have a stereo copy of Jack Wilson's Something Personal? I've only ever had a mono copy and just got a vangelder stamped first pressing. But I noticed the drums are in the left channel! Is it like that for everyone? It's a little weird to be totally honest, the rvg drums are almost always in the right channel. Anyone else notice that? I wonder what the deal is.

Edit: Looked more closely, and it actually says "Mastered by RVG" instead of "Recording by" so I think that just means he did the mastering, not the recording. And that would account for the channeling difference I assume?

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone have a stereo copy of Jack Wilson's Something Personal? I've only ever had a mono copy and just got a vangelder stamped first pressing. But I noticed the drums are in the left channel! Is it like that for everyone? It's a little weird to be totally honest, the rvg drums are almost always in the right channel. Anyone else notice that? I wonder what the deal is.

Edit: Looked more closely, and it actually says "Mastered by RVG" instead of "Recording by" so I think that just means he did the mastering, not the recording. And that would account for the channeling difference I assume?
I believe I have a stereo copy? Have to check.

View attachment 31150
Special thanks to @Dark Star Boogie for selling me these at a very fair price! My first Japanese pressings, will be on the lookout for more.
Good to see they arrived safely and that they are in a loving new home. Definitely went back and forth on selling them, but I need to get out of this keeping everything I buy mentality, especially when I have multiple copies of albums.

And the King presses are great, enjoy them! ❤

Is Somethin Else slated for a MM reissue soon as part of this new campaign of theirs? Think that’s the only one I’d be willing to go all in for, seems to be difficult to find a good alternative pressing of it at least.

Is Somethin Else slated for a MM reissue soon as part of this new campaign of theirs? Think that’s the only one I’d be willing to go all in for, seems to be difficult to find a good alternative pressing of it at least.
Will be reissued at 33 RPM on their new SRX (SuperVinyl) vinyl formulation in April. It's the same mastering as the MMJ 33, but they had new stampers made (maybe even new mothers? I cant remember.).

What's the general opinion on the Grant Green Tone Poet "Born to be blue"? I'm not huge on Green, but I find his performances interesting every once in a while, depending on his sidemen. Amazon Mexico is selling BTBB for relatively cheap, and I'm debating whether I should buy it or use that money for some other record I actually wanted before seeing the price on this one yesterday.

What's the general opinion on the Grant Green Tone Poet "Born to be blue"? I'm not huge on Green, but I find his performances interesting every once in a while, depending on his sidemen. Amazon Mexico is selling BTBB for relatively cheap, and I'm debating whether I should buy it or use that money for some other record I actually wanted before seeing the price on this one yesterday.
I really like it and the TP quality is great as usual. But if you don't like Green generally, I'd probably go with something you really want.

Back