The Beatles

Yeah, it's just a concern more than anything. I've been pretty good with Optimal recently. I AM however pretty worried about The Roots reissue...
I’d like that record. But it’s got to be one of my projects for me to buy something I already have on CD at this point and I am long removed from The Roots being a project. It is easily my favorite album by them and a top ten all time hip hop album though.

I'm resisting this so hard. Brought my old copy up to give it a spin and as long as it sounds OK I'm sticking with it. I almost gave in listening to the first few of the outtakes but the quality was fairly uneven. I think Spotify is good enough for most of these endless demos that seem to be coming out by almost every band...

I’d like that record. But it’s got to be one of my projects for me to buy something I already have on CD at this point and I am long removed from The Roots being a project. It is easily my favorite album by them and a top ten all time hip hop album though.
Yeah, last thing not about the Beatles I promise. But yeah all the previous Roots reissues by "Urban Legends" (Universal Sub Label) have been a bit of a disaster (Tipping Point, Undun massive pressing issues) and I just found out that the new crazy expensive Things Fall Apart is also Urban Legends so... I'm gunna hold off and wait. Especially since it's literally impossible to get good pressings of their previous albums without spending $100+ each on OGs since all the reissues are apparently pretty awful.

Now back to Beatles talk. I will likely get this box this week and undoubtedly have every single issue possible on my copy.

I'm resisting this so hard. Brought my old copy up to give it a spin and as long as it sounds OK I'm sticking with it. I almost gave in listening to the first few of the outtakes but the quality was fairly uneven. I think Spotify is good enough for most of these endless demos that seem to be coming out by almost every band...
I’m with you on Spotify and bonus tracks. I do want that sweet book that comes with the super delixe set though.

Yeah, last thing not about the Beatles I promise. But yeah all the previous Roots reissues by "Urban Legends" (Universal Sub Label) have been a bit of a disaster (Tipping Point, Undun massive pressing issues) and I just found out that the new crazy expensive Things Fall Apart is also Urban Legends so... I'm gunna hold off and wait. Especially since it's literally impossible to get good pressings of their previous albums without spending $100+ each on OGs since all the reissues are apparently pretty awful.

Now back to Beatles talk. I will likely get this box this week and undoubtedly have every single issue possible on my copy.

If it eases your worries I have the 3LP from optimal too and there was no noise other than the little bit of crackle between songs that I always get for the first play after washing and resleeving. There was nothing that I’d attribute to the pressing which seems very good.

If it eases your worries I have the 3LP from optimal too and there was no noise other than the little bit of crackle between songs that I always get for the first play after washing and resleeving. There was nothing that I’d attribute to the pressing which seems very good.
Like myself, you should buy a static gun.

I did, It seemed to stop working after a while so I fell out of the habit and haven’t gone back to try it again for a while. After the first play or about a week in an anti static sleeve it seems to go so I’m not that concerned lol.
This is me, except without an actual gun and a little longer at the onset of winter.

Spinning now............. :unsure:
First things first, I think they did a great job with the album/pressing, for me, dead silent, not a snap, crackle or pop. What I noticed, and this is comparing it to the MoFi pressing, is the drums and guitars had more clarity and pushed forward just a hair and what stood out most were the vocals, they seem a bit more "honest". Meaning, they weren't as polished if that makes sense. When Paul goes to that lower register you can hear the "push", or when you get a scream like in Come Together or Oh Darling, you hear more rasp and grit to the vocals, there were a lot of spots where the vocals, to me, sounded different. Honestly, I think Guttenberg hit it on the head with his review, its not a question of better or worse, it's just different and I see what he meant.

That being said, I haven't listened to the other 2 LPs yet, that's really where the "Bonus" is for me, but I don't think there is a "better than" here, I'll have to toss the MoFi back on and listen to it again, but I'm pleased with the Anniversary pressing. If you don't have the album, or don't want to shell out the cash for a MoFi or early pressing, I think this (the single album) is probably going to be more than satisfactory.

I'll chime in about the bonus albums after I listen to them.

Giving it a second spin right now. I agree with @AnthonyI overall. There are some little atmospheric things going on that I'm gonna be listening for when I compare digital versions. I think the thing that really stands out to me is how balanced it is. It seems like every instrument is getting an equal footing. It's not just that the bass and drums are more crisp, I think they may be a little more forward in the mix. There is also some subtle phasing stuff going on that will be interesting in headphones.

I know I can just Google and probably will, but is Giles actually producing for anyone? White and this really have me loving his ear.

Last edited:
Holes! Hahaha!

No he doesn’t appear to be, his last non Beatles credits seem to be McCartney’s New and musical director for the Rocketman biopic.
Given that he is in charge of Audio for UMG, he may not have time to produce things like Kula Shaker anymore.

Back