The Beatles

Weirdly though I listen to Ram loads. All Things Must Pass too (goes without saying though an i think that aside from the white album and revolver it slays every Beatles as a group album)... And I'm definitely partial to Band on the Run and Venus and Mars. There's a chance that maybe I just played them less in my teens so am happier to spin as an adult.
Yea--I listen to Ram all the time. And I do spin All Things Must Pass a lot (I have the 2017 box). I think I would listen to at least a few of the Beatles albums more if I had better copies of them. My current pressings are fairly beat up ones from my parents' collection so I just end up not listening to them too much. None are at the top of my want list though but I do just keep my eyes open for them.

You guys might not have been around for this, but a few years ago Amazon Canada made a pricing error and listed the Mono Box for $99. People on the old forum cleaned them out. Amazon actually fulfilled the others.
Don't remind me...I was on the old forum and had it in my cart but didn't want to drop $99 at the time. My biggest vinyl regret to this day.

I have a decent number of early MoFis and like them all, including Abbey Road. The ones I’m not sold on are the 200 Gram “Anadisc” from the late ‘90s. I like the new pressings too, save the MFSL/Silver Series which can be hit or miss.

I'm playing the Abbey Road MFSL again now, it's been a while.

What always struck me as odd is how lightweight the disc is as well. Is that the case for you guys as well?

I'm playing the Abbey Road MFSL again now, it's been a while.

What always struck me as odd is how lightweight the disc is as well. Is that the case for you guys as well?

Oh yeah it’s thin but that’s really not abnormal for pressings of that age, most of my 80s presses are thin. They also sound better than most of my modern presses. There no real correlation between heavyweight and better sound or thin and worse sound.

@Joe Mac did you say you got the Magical Mystery MoFi? If so, did ya spin it yet and have thoughts on sound?

That was the first one I listened to last night! It’s really very good! As I said last night the drums and bass are much less forward than on newer presses, more like I remember The Beatles sounding. They’re still very much there and sound great though!

Oh yeah it’s thin but that’s really not abnormal for pressings of that age, most of my 80s presses are thin. They also sound better than most of my modern presses. There no real correlation between heavyweight and better sound or thin and worse sound.

Yeah, I just thought MoFi did heavyweight as a standard.

The "bang bang hammers" on Maxwell's Silver Hammer sounds pretty damn good.

Nice warm sound overall but I still feel like I'm missing the soundstage presence I get on the newest remaster.

Nice warm sound overall but I still feel like I'm missing the soundstage presence I get on the newest remaster.
All the old MoFis are "flimsy" I believe. My Ziggy Stardust is the see-through vinyl as well and real thin but I think it sounds amazing.

Now! In the early 80s I’d be shocked if anyone really did heavyweight! That said the new one steps are much lighter than 180g and that’s their headline press on the super vinyl stuff!

Is the reason a license issue why MFSL doesn't revisit Bowie and Beatles? They could probably sell each album for 300€ a pop if they wanted and wouldn't have trouble selling out.

That was the first one I listened to last night! It’s really very good! As I said last night the drums and bass are much less forward than on newer presses, more like I remember The Beatles sounding. They’re still very much there and sound great though!

The bass is boosted on those because they were cut by Stan Ricker (RIP). He was a professional bassist, so.....

Is the reason a license issue why MFSL doesn't revisit Bowie and Beatles? They could probably sell each album for 300€ a pop if they wanted and wouldn't have trouble selling out.

Rights! The Beatles keep everything to do with their catalogue on a really tight reign. To the point where you need a personal agreement from Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Dhani/Oliva to so much as whistle a song outside of your house.

Back when the MoFi Box was done, the tapes were released to MoFi in California. They won’t let the tapes leave Abbey Road anymore as I understand it.

The bass is boosted on those because they were cut by Stan Ricker (RIP). He was a professional bassist, so.....

That explains a lot. There was an interview with Noel Gallagher as a Beatles fan about them around the time when they were issued in which he quipped that it was really obvious which two were still alive from the new pressings!

That explains a lot. There was an interview with Noel Gallagher as a Beatles fan about them around the time when they were issued in which he quipped that it was really obvious which two were still alive from the new pressings!
Bass on the original releases were cut so they’d track on Dansettes- think Crosley type of record player. If they didn’t cut the bass, they’d have massive returns for skipping. So the MoFis are probably closer to what was heard in the studio. I’ve read that Rubber Soul has so much bass on it that they still have to cut the bass on that one.

Bass on the original releases were cut so they’d track on Dansettes- think Crosley type of record player. If they didn’t cut the bass, they’d have massive returns for skipping. So the MoFis are probably closer to what was heard in the studio. I’ve read that Rubber Soul has so much bass on it that they still have to cut the bass on that one.

That makes sense. I think that also there’s an element of that being a more “modern” sound. It wasn’t just the new presses of the records, back in 2009 I remember buying the CDs for the first time and instantly thinking both how much louder they were and how much more forward the bass and drums were on them in comparison to my dads 87 CDs that I’d grown up listening to.

Back