The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Confession time, I knew the Aerosmith version of Come Together long before I knew the Beatles version.

Not sure which I heard first. Not sure I heard Abbey Road before college. I have a weird history with the band. My brother had a 20 greatest hits tape. I knew that like the back of my hand.

When I was in middle school, my dad got shipped to Japan for a year. One of his corporals bought a CD player cause you know they were knew fangled and shiny. He also bought the entire Beatles catalog on CD. My dad came home with a maxwell tape of Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine. He told us it was all their hits.

This was crazy music very different from my brother's tape!

I had a copy of the white album on tape but I think I thought it was demos or some bargin album or something.

During my middle school/high school days was the time when there still oldies stations. Both the oldies stations and the more AOR stations loved the Beatles. I was surprised as I amassed a complete cd discography over the years that when I got an album I had not heard, that I knew every last song on it.

In highschool, I bought Sgt Pepper's on CD and 🤯

It was night in France, I do sleep at night (when the kids allow me to). Listen to Voir un Ami Pleurer, thank me later.

Love you Lee

PS: let me know if you ever come to Belgium, I'll take you to nice bars, drink the best possible beers and we'll sing Brel's songs with locals. We'll take @bfly with us as she probably knows great places to drink sing outside of Brussels.
ah yes! I was just there (25 Dec-11 Jan), I would so have loved to meet up for some sing drinking

4773e86861ac9e7e02230318ecd938fdf5bb537a

hot take, probably, but i have never really cared for depeche mode. there are numerous bands that have been clearly influenced by this and other depeche mode albums that i like more than i like depeche mode themselves. for the most part, the depeche mode songs i like are ones performed by other artists (like never let me down again by the smashing pumpkins). it has been a long time since i listened to this record, and it's quite possible i've never given it truly attentive listens like i have now. and, like, it's hardly a bad record. i understand why it is loved and cited as inspiration by other musicians. but these songs just don't hit me in that same way. it is what it is 🤷‍♂️

also, the beginning of the song nothing sounds like weird al's dog eat dog and i can't get over it.

I've slipped a bit in posting mine but ready to recap my last two albums real quick.

This was Tuesday's pick. I probably don't have the proper context for why this is on the list but I didn't hate listening to it. It did sort of start fading into the background at a certain point though. Pretty unmistakably a product of 1966; it's funny to see that this came out a week or so before Pet Sounds because there were one or two songs (like Little Girl in the 4th Row) that sounded a bit like Beach Boys lite to me. Honestly I've heard a lot of other music that sounds very similar to this, and while that would usually be a detriment, I do have a fondness for this specific time period in the mid-60s when psychedelic influences started creeping into popular music. You can probably credit The Beatles with getting the ball rolling on that movement, however Rubber Soul this is not. It's okay to listen to for the 28 minutes that it's on but it's mostly unremarkable in my opinion. I'd give it a 3. If I had to pick any standout cuts I'd probably go with There's Always Tomorrow and I'm Not Your Stepping Stone.
Screenshot_20230207-213329_Chrome.jpg

And yesterday's album... it can't be a coincidence that it generated two albums with songs titled "Kicks" back to back, right?

Anyways, it's probably been years since I last heard this to be honest. FKA twigs is one of those artists I always feel like I should listen to more than I do. I usually like her albums quite a bit then don't really return to them... same thing happened with MAGDALENE (which I think I liked more than this one). This is definitely right up my alley, though. The way her smooth and ethereal vocals contrast and compliment the glitchy, harsher textures in the production is just brilliant. It's crazy to think about how many producers in the past few years have tried to recreate this exact sound. My favorite tracks are Lights On, Two Weeks, Video Girl and Give Up
Screenshot_20230209-145401_Chrome.jpg

A Walk Across the Rooftops... I'm leaning towards maybe a 3.5 but since the website doesn't let you do half stars (as far as I know) it will probably get bumped down to a high 3. I'm enjoying it well enough, but I feel like it plays its best hand right out of the starting gate with the title track and Tinseltown in the Rain. I think those are the best songs here and the album never quite recaptures those heights again (although Heatwave is quite good as well). Like the Paul Revere album, it sounds very much of its time, but just because the production is a little dated doesn't make it bad. I think it's more that several tracks go on for too long and not every song is as strongly written as the ones I previously mentioned. I'm kind of in a weird spot with this one because I acknowledge there's some really beautiful songs here but I'm not sure how often I'd actually want to return to this.

One of my older cousins introduced me to Portishead when this album came out. I was still developing my musical tastes and hadn't really explored much beyond what I heard on the radio and my dad's record collection. So she made me a tape of this album and I think my sister stole it shortly after I started getting into it. But my best memories are of my cousin picking me up and driving me around in her crappy car listening to this on her stereo. It has more nostalgia value to me these days, but it's still a great album. 4/5

Screenshot_2023-02-09-21-18-28-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

24/1001
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Devotional Songs
220px-Devotional_Songs_album_cover.jpg

First time listening. The title doesn't lie here. I can hear the devotion in Khan's voice, and it's a major reason why the music is as good as it is. This is a deeply passionate collection of songs that shouldn't be overlooked by any fan of world music. Ali Khan's voice is an emotional beckoning.

Personal highlights: "Allah Hoo Allah Hoo," "Ali Maula Ali Maula Ali Dam Dam," "Mast Nazroon Se Allah Bachhae"
Rating: 4/5 [Excellent]

25/1001
Television - Marquee Moon

220px-Marquee_moon_album_cover.jpg

An all timer. From the opening chords of "See No Evil," it's clear that Television was forging a new, unique sound that blended elements of post-punk, new wave, and art rock. Side A leads up to the iconic title track, a showcase of guitar excellence.
Side B is no slouch, despite perhaps lacking a heavyweight track. “Elevation” opens the second half in a moody fashion with its minor key never letting go of a somber demeanor in addition to that angular, off-tempo guitar recording multiple times in each chorus. "Guiding Light" is surprisingly direct and heartfelt, which hits harder now given Tom Veraline's recent passing. "Prove It" provides some light-hearted fun but is still wound tight as a corkscrew. "Torn Curtain" is an appropriately weighty, minor key closer.
Perfection. This album just turned 46 years old two days ago! I even have an enamel pin of the album cover's back. RIP Tom Veraline.

Personal highlights: it's a front to back guitar masterclass so...
Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]

25/1001
Television - Marquee Moon

220px-Marquee_moon_album_cover.jpg

An all timer. This album just turned 46 years old two days ago! From the opening chords of "See No Evil," it's clear that Television was forging a new, unique sound that blended elements of post-punk, new wave, and art rock. Side A leads up to the iconic title track, a showcase of guitar excellence.
Side B is no slouch, despite perhaps lacking a heavyweight track. “Elevation” opens the second half in a moody fashion with its minor key never letting go of a somber demeanor in addition to that angular, off-tempo guitar recording multiple times in each chorus. "Guiding Light" is surprisingly direct and heartfelt, which hits harder now given Tom Veraline's recent passing. "Prove It" provides some light-hearted fun but is still wound tight as a corkscrew. "Torn Curtain" is an appropriately weighty, minor key closer.
Perfection. I even have an enamel pin of the album cover's back. RIP Tom Veraline.

Personal highlights: it's a front to back guitar masterclass so...
Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]
Such an outstanding albums. I ordered the black pressing that was cut by Kevin Grey a few years back from a shop called Magnolia Thunderpussy. They sent me a different version, a 2xLP pressing on blue wax and while the 2nd disc is mostly just alternate takes on album cuts the thing that made it worthwhile was the inclusion of their debut single, non-album track “Little Johnny Jewel” that song rips! If you haven’t heard it (I hadn’t at the time) you should look it up. It fits right in with the rest of Marquee Moon.

A Walk Across the Rooftops... I'm leaning towards maybe a 3.5 but since the website doesn't let you do half stars (as far as I know) it will probably get bumped down to a high 3. I'm enjoying it well enough, but I feel like it plays its best hand right out of the starting gate with the title track and Tinseltown in the Rain. I think those are the best songs here and the album never quite recaptures those heights again (although Heatwave is quite good as well). Like the Paul Revere album, it sounds very much of its time, but just because the production is a little dated doesn't make it bad. I think it's more that several tracks go on for too long and not every song is as strongly written as the ones I previously mentioned. I'm kind of in a weird spot with this one because I acknowledge there's some really beautiful songs here but I'm not sure how often I'd actually want to return to this.
Getting more and more drawn to the Blue Nile as I get older, and as I now live away from home. Tinseltown in the Rain is one of the quintessential Glasgow songs. Being on Linn Records is a nice bonus as well!

Day 28 - Speaking of Portishead (...in the group thread)

View attachment 166551

Excited to revisit this one - for whatever reason I haven't really done so since the first year or so after its release - the only Portishead album I don't know through and through.

I listened to this a bunch but didn't come back to share my thoughts!

I remember this being jarring for some when it came out - the scope of sounds is definitely much broader than their earlier releases. That said, it's friggin' brilliant! I don't know whether their entire catalogue made this list or not, but it certainly deserves to - they didn't miss. Beth Gibbons voice is majesty in and of itself, but the soundscapes Geoff Barrow and Adrian Utley provide her to move it through are rich and engrossing. "Silence," "Nylon Smile" and "We Carry On" were particular favourites for me on this one. 4/5

26/1001
Brian Wilson - Smile
220px-SmileBW04.jpg

A brave album that Brian Wilson completed unexpectedly considering it was unfinished from the 60s. I don't particularly love that the other members on this record are other musicians not from the original Beach Boys, but Brian Wilson still has a strong voice here. Enjoyable overall.

Personal highlights: "Roll Plymouth Rock," "Wind Chimes," "Good Vibrations"
Rating: 3/5 [Good]

Back