The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven’t listened to this one in a long time.
View attachment 166792
Listening now. I kind of expected this to have not aged well. It always had a bit of aww shucks southern corniness to it and is ultimately a little too positive in its outlook. But it sounds good. Speech is still a decent rapper and I do like the content. It’s earnestness and naivety are it’s only real faults.

4 stars

26/1001
Brian Wilson - Smile
220px-SmileBW04.jpg

A brave album that Brian Wilson completed unexpectedly considering it was unfinished from the 60s. I don't particularly love that the other members on this record are other musicians not from the original Beach Boys, but Brian Wilson still has a strong voice here. Enjoyable overall.

Personal highlights: "Roll Plymouth Rock," "Wind Chimes," "Good Vibrations"
Rating: 3/5 [Good]
At this point (when the original Smile sessions happened), The Beach Boys were only singing on the records. He was recording with the Wrecking Crew while the rest were touring.

Last edited:
26/1001
Brian Wilson - Smile
220px-SmileBW04.jpg

A brave album that Brian Wilson completed unexpectedly considering it was unfinished from the 60s. I don't particularly love that the other members on this record are other musicians not from the original Beach Boys, but Brian Wilson still has a strong voice here. Enjoyable overall.

Personal highlights: "Roll Plymouth Rock," "Wind Chimes," "Good Vibrations"
Rating: 3/5 [Good]
This one is kinda interesting, to they have the unfinished original tapes and a few years later they would assemble an album from those tapes that does have all The Beach Boys. Prior to both of those releases unofficial bootlegs had been floating around record stores and the internet for years. Because of the multitude of tapes and half finished ideas there were multiple different versions even of the unofficial version.

All that to say, I am of the opinion that some people prefer the Wilson solo vs the original because it was officially released first and thus people that weren’t actively looking for the original but had heard the myth behind the album were understandably blown away and enjoyed the Wilson version quite a bit.

At the same time, there is another group of folks (this includes me) who had been listening to the unofficial version for years prior to the Wilson solo release and upon hearing his newly recorded version were a bit let down because while Brian’s voice was still decent it was hardly as smooth as when he and the other Beach Boys were in their early 20s. So, While I was glad it was officially released at the time, and that Brian Wilson received the right kudos for releasing it. I never enjoyed it as much as the original recordings. Thankfully we did finally get an official release of the original and if I were to rate the “Smile Sessions” version that would be a perfect score while the Solo Wilson would be a click or two down from that.

Ultimately, it’s a preference thing and there isn’t a right or wrong answer to which is better. I just think whichever version you fell in love with first is gonna be the one you love the most.

LoL I have both on cassette and they were definitely not the first 2 cassettes I bought, feeling like Baba Oje sometimes when I'm around this place!
Oh, I had some cassettes prior too, TMNT II: The Secret Of The Ooz soundtrack featuring Vanilla Ice’s Seminal hit, “Ninja Rap” along with his break thru album, To The Extreme, MC Hammer’s Hammer Don’t Hurt Em, The Wayne’s World Soundtrack, John Cougar Mellencamp’s American Fool, a cassingle of Sir Mixalot’s “I Like Big Butts” Snow’s 12” of Snow (pulling off the super rare triple entendre) you know all the classics.

Yesterday's album required a bit of extra credit...
Screenshot_20230209-231919_Chrome.jpg
I'll be honest, it didn't even occur to me that there would be soundtracks on this list. It makes sense (A Hard Day's Night is technically a soundtrack after all), but considering I rarely ever listen to film scores on their own, pulling this one was a bit of a shock. Funnily enough, I think my first exposure to Air was when the track "Alone in Kyoto" was used in Lost in Translation, another Sofia Coppola film.

Admittedly I'm usually much more interested in experiencing the combo of sound and image in the final product than I am in just listening to the soundtrack on its own. Not to mention it felt especially strange to listen to the soundtrack to a movie I'd never seen before... so I watched the movie! And I'm glad I did because as predicted, knowing the context for these pieces of music and how they're used in the story adds much more weight to them I think. Plus the final track samples narration that gives away the entire plot so... spoiler alert I guess? (As if you couldn't tell what happens by the title.)

I will say though that this is probably one of the lowest 4s I've given so far, because while I do like the music, my attitude towards soundtracks themselves remains mostly unchanged. I don't see myself actively relistening to this very often, because I think once you divorce a lot of this from Sofia Coppola's imagery, it doesn't really pack the same punch. Some songs, such as Playground Love, Dirty Trip, and Dead Bodies, do work well enough on their own, but overall I'd just as soon rewatch the movie to hear these pieces. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit too in case anyone was curious.

My Bible thumping mom would never let me listen to Iron Maiden growing up, so I came to them a bit later than most. It's a stone cold classic of heavy metal that punches hard from end to end. Despite the vocals being a bit dated, I don't find them to have aged poorly at all. Everything just melds brilliantly on this one. 5/5
Screenshot_2023-02-11-14-28-34-40_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I haven't wanted to find the whole list as I like this project to be a surprise, but I did read some of the Wikipedia for it. It said 4 Radiohead albums were included. With Amnesiac in it and assuming OKC and KidA are shoe-ins, I wonder what gets left out between The Bends and In Rainbows.

I would presume rainbows, but I've already been surprised a bunch by this list. I've also been avoiding spoilers so far - other than seeing what others post here, of course.

Back