The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Day 27 - a band that strongly influenced the most influential member of the 27 Club to my young life

Day 0027.jpeg

It's been probably a decade or more since I last tried giving this a chance knowing how influential Pixies were not just to Nirvana, but so many bands. While I've enjoyed a few of their songs through the years, I've never fully "clicked" with the band overall. Four songs in and I'm already enjoying this far more than I ever have before. Hooray for an evolution of the ears!

"Debaser" has traditionally been my favourite of the handful of Pixies songs I've enjoyed. So far that's still holding true...

Day 27 - a band that strongly influenced the most influential member of the 27 Club to my young life

View attachment 166452

It's been probably a decade or more since I last tried giving this a chance knowing how influential Pixies were not just to Nirvana, but so many bands. While I've enjoyed a few of their songs through the years, I've never fully "clicked" with the band overall. Four songs in and I'm already enjoying this far more than I ever have before. Hooray for an evolution of the ears!

"Debaser" has traditionally been my favourite of the handful of Pixies songs I've enjoyed. So far that's still holding true...
Love Sun-Ra but Pixies just don't click. You are a weird dude.

Time to give these cats another try:
bf411cd27e94904949860b58bdfaff92084fb4b5

Beach House - Teen Dream

Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.
I got this too today. Indie music not really my thing any more, but I quite enjoyed this. At least it was better than I expected even if I'll probably never listen to it again. 2.5/5

Time to give these cats another try:
bf411cd27e94904949860b58bdfaff92084fb4b5

Beach House - Teen Dream

Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music. Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.Please don't be Hawaiin Funeral music.
Who was it that was talking about beige walls? After the first couple of songs which have that unique Beach House Hawaiian Funeral vibe to them... the rest is just there. It's not bad, it's not great... it's just there. She has a nice voice. Honestly, they kind of strike me like Death Cab - just when a song seems to get cooking, it ends. 2 stars.

23/1001
U2 - Achtung Baby

220px-Achtung_Baby.png

For one (lol) reason only, I need to highlight Achtung Baby for at long last allowing me to realize why U2 don't really elicit any meaningful reaction from me: it's Bono. No, not his obnoxious persona or politics, as I'm one to separate art from artist in a majority of instances, though he does come off as a special and pretentious brand of prick. No. It's his voice that really irritates me. It's so breathy, warbly and imprecise, as if he's intently circling around every note he sings without ever quite hitting it. It's so distracting to me that all the technical skill in the world couldn't really make me interested in most of these songs, and I'm sure it can be found in spades on this LP.
I think Brian Eno's involvement is the saving grace here; probably what makes this album sound more ethereal than it should (a good thing).

Personal highlights: "One," "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]

Also Eno improving U2 is the hottest take I’ve seen on here in a long time…

Bring forth Eno, the herald of the boring big music.
Achtung Baby was a distinct change in their sound and did perform better than their earlier albums. I could see the argument as valid. It’s a far cry from the horizon yawns to sleep or whatever the name of that album was.

Achtung Baby was a distinct change in their sound and did perform better than their earlier albums. I could see the argument as valid. It’s a far cry from the horizon yawns to sleep or whatever the name of that album was.

Yeah but Eno came in well before that. He was there from the one with the maroon cover that was mostly boring and a huge step down from the post punk of their first three that culminated in War, that’s still my favourite of theirs.

Of all the Eno U2 big music albums the only one that works over a full album for me is The Joshua Tree.

No line on the horizon is a really appalling album, really bad but I’d argue they haven’t done a solid full album since The Joshua Tree and a solid half album since the first half of the one around 2000 with the picture of them in an airport on the cover that had all the singles on it.

I’m of the opinion that U2 has four epochs with four defining albums that are damn near perfect. War. The Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby. All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

Yeah but Eno came in well before that. He was there grom the one with the maroon cover that was mostly boring and a huge step down from the post punk of their first three that culminated in War, that’s still my favourite of theirs.

Of all the Eno U2 big music albums the only one that works over a full album for me is The Joshua Tree.
Well Eno/Flood vs Eno/Lillywhite then. I always thought Lillywhite was the bigger influence in the Joshua Tree epoch.

I’m of the opinion that U2 has four epochs with four defining albums that are damn near perfect. War. The Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby. All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

I’d agree with those as their four strongest with War just edging Joshua Tree for me but I could see a preference for stadium rock swinging it the other way around. The other two are good but not quite at that level, both have high peaks but the odd dud and side B of All That You Can’t Leave Behind (had a complete blank on its name before) does notably drop off, albeit that side A is ludicrously strong and front loaded with all the singles.

I’d agree with those as their four strongest with War just edging Joshua Tree for me but I could see a preference for stadium rock swinging it the other way around. The other two are good but not quite at that level, both have high peaks but the odd dud and side B of All That You Can’t Leave Behind (had a complete blank on its name before) does notably drop off, albeit that side A is ludicrously strong and front loaded with all the singles.
I’d agree that ATYCLB is the weakest. War is personally my favorite too, but it’s hard to argue that the other two aren’t absolute classics.

ab67616d0000b2733f39310fa42ccd3e371ffa84

i wish i liked this more than i do. i feel like it's a record i should enjoy but it's just never clicked with me and it didn't this time either. i will say, it's a really good sounding album, especially considering the amount of 80s shine that's on it, and that was the primary takeaway from this listen.

View attachment 166452

One of the reasons I love this project and this site is the encouragement to revisit stuff like this, as well as the exposure to so many other sounds that this time around I feel my ears and my brain were much more ready and on board for this. For the first (second and third) time ever I've very much enjoyed this album. I don't know that I'm gonna rush out and buy myself a copy tomorrow or anything, but I also no longer think it doesn't need to be on my shelf. I may not be one of the cool kids yet, but at least they're less likely to stuff me in a garbage can! (I've also pretty much always been twice their size, so it would be very hard for the cool kids to even be able to stuff me in a garbage can if they wanted to!)

4/5 and I'm looking forward to seeing how this newfound enjoyment carries over to other albums in their catalogue.

Day 28 - Speaking of Portishead (...in the group thread)

View attachment 166551

Excited to revisit this one - for whatever reason I haven't really done so since the first year or so after its release - the only Portishead album I don't know through and through.

from WIkipedia:
After Portishead released their self-titled second album in 1997, band member Geoff Barrow put Portishead on hiatus and moved to Australia. He became uninterested in music, and efforts to develop new songs with guitarist and keyboardist Adrian Utley failed. They were inspired to create again after producing with the band the Coral, and restarted work with singer Beth Gibbons in Bristol, England.

There's The Coral again @Lee Newman! 🤣

ab67616d0000b273dc30583ba717007b00cceb25

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Most of you know that I'm a Beatles nut. They are my all time favorite band. I am personally a staunch Rubber Soul guy. It's the album that speaks to me the most. However, I would remiss not to state that this is their masterpiece. A last hurrah after the debacle of Let It Be - whatever revisionism is present in the Jackson film, that album and its sessions were a band clearly devolving and that had grown apart. You even see the artifice of an assignment to stimulate some of the old magic with an unrealistic timeline that would have been a breeze for the fab four in their most prolific younger days. It's clear that Martin pulled them up by the ears and said try again lads.

The result is a perfect record. I don't even hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer as is the in thing to do. While its subject matter is bizarre, it is not alone in their catalog in either weird lyrical themes or as evil drugged out circus music. Harrison is given some shining moments and Ringo even gets to be a bit creative here.

The side B suite is one of the most amazing things ever done in popular music. It is simply a bar that has seldom been even reached at much less accomplished. It is the best album by the most influential group of all time. It is a joy to listen to each and every time.

5 out of 5

Back