The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Day 29 - I'm a bit behind again...

Day 0029.jpeg

I've never listened to this one before. I remember the cover for Boy from Michigan being quite striking when it came out, but I don't recall whether I listened to it or only previewed a few tracks and decided not to. Either way, going into this fairly blind and unfamiliar other than that blip.

The first half of the first song gives me big FJM vibes. Not just the Honeybear aspect. It felt almost like three songs by the end.

The beginning of the second song is still giving me FJM vibes...

It's deeply evident that this is an album that will reward multiple listens. I'm quite taken with it and looking forward to going into those further listens to see where this shakes out in the long run. This one comes in for me at a very strong 4, likely to creep up to a 4.5 or higher with future listens.

Day 30 - A complete change of pace from the previous!

View attachment 166887

Only knowing the big two singles off this one, I wasn't sure what to expect and despite loving the singles was worried I'd hate it. Far from hating it though, it's a very solid rock n' roll album. Solid semi-sleaze. This would be a 3 for me, but "Walk This Way" and "Sweet Emotion" take it up to a 3.5 (rounded down for the lack of half stars on the site.)

"Walk This Way" is, was and always will be an absolute BEAST. And it only got better when they remade it with Run-DMC!

Day 31 - This one is easy!

Day 0031.jpeg

FIVE!

I'm pretty sure I can say without exaggeration that I've listened to this damn near once a week for the past couple of years. Alice in Chains wasn't my favourite of the Seattle bands in real-time, but over the subsequent years they've become my most listened-to by far, and the only thing they put out that I've listened to more than this is the Jar of Flies EP. This album is as beautiful as it is harrowing as it is heavy. "Rooster" is an all-timer and "Would?" has always been one of my other favourite Alice in Chains songs (Thanks Singles soundtrack!) but "Junkhead" has been doing its best to catch up to it over the past year or two. I don't believe I could ever get tired of this album.

Frampton Comes Alive! is fine. I knew it by reputation as a monster hit album, and while I was slightly curious to hear what moved so many units in 1976, from a modern perspective, it feels like a "you had to be there" kind of thing. The singles are all decent but 78 minutes straight of this just isn't really my thing. From all the eye reacts on my original post I figured people were either expecting me to love this or hate this or something like that, but for the most part I find it very average. What distinguishes this from the majority of its peers? The fact that it sold millions upon millions of copies, I suppose.

Last edited:
View attachment 166875
I love Talking Heads. Don’t know this album as well as others.
Yeah, last.fm has it as my second listen only. I really need to buy their discography and also do a deep dive. They never fail to impress me. This isn’t as witty as other Byrne projects. I only knew Cities going in and that because of Phish which says an awful lot about the long reach of Talking Heads influence. The only reason this isn’t getting a five is because I don’t know it yet, it will more than likely get there.

4 stars

27/1001
Boston - Boston

220px-BostonBoston.jpg

I think classic rock radio stations are required to play any or all of this record's side A twice a day. In defense of Boston, "More Than a Feeling," "Peace of Mind," and "Foreplay/Long Time" are all standards of AOR. Still enjoy these singles when they come on.
Side B however is not even close to as memorable, kicking off with the MotorcycleDadCore "Rock & Roll Band" which comes off as generic rock filler. "Smokin'" is handily the best of the cuts on the flip side, with upbeat riffage and some bizarre organ soloing that I found very amusing yet engaging. The band pivots to more of a balladry angle on both "Hitch a Ride" and "Let Me Take You Home Tonight," with the latter comprising something far too reminiscent of The Eagles or maybe even Chicago. "Something About You" is like part II of "Peace of Mind" with the musical composition being almost entirely too copy & paste.
Still, I can't fault this album for providing a perfect opening trio of songs for the encyclopedia of classic rock.

Personal highlights: "Peace of Mind," "Foreplay/Long Time," "Smokin'"
Rating: 3/5 [Good]

I thought about a 3.5, but that side B is far too underwhelming.

Day 29 - I'm a bit behind again...

View attachment 166885

I've never listened to this one before. I remember the cover for Boy from Michigan being quite striking when it came out, but I don't recall whether I listened to it or only previewed a few tracks and decided not to. Either way, going into this fairly blind and unfamiliar other than that blip.

The first half of the first song gives me big FJM vibes. Not just the Honeybear aspect. It felt almost like three songs by the end.

The beginning of the second song is still giving me FJM vibes...
Glad I wasn't the only one that couldn't shake the FJM of it all, this was the first album I got that I was completely unfamiliar with the artist or the album, I really enjoyed it but was struggling with the very distracting FJM of it all!

I've heard of Scott Walker and know of his influence and have listened to a couple of his more avant garde recordings from later in his career, but never listened to any of the early stuff. There is definitely something here that possibly with more listens I would come to really like, but it's more of an appreciative listen where I respect the lyrical territory that's being hinted at here and which he'll eventually move toward and some of the orchestral instrumentation with pop rock leanings. I've never much cared for the crooner style vocals only because they get old to me quickly, but I think it's his lyrics that made me not immediate dismissive. I don't think I'd care for any of his other older recordings, but this one has enough of what he wanted to do in it to make it worth a listen. 2/5 for enjoyment, 3/5 for appreciation of what it is doing.
Screenshot_2023-02-12-06-51-05-78_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Back