The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been spinning new vinyl and have fallen a little behind on the projects. This is one of my favorite Beck albums. It has peaks and valleys of intensity and mellows out in a way that relaxes me. I could see if I spent more time with his discography again that this would be a 5, but for now I think it's a 4.

Screenshot_2023-04-21-23-37-32-93_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg

Threw Stooges a four, it’s great probably a five when I am more familiar.
1682157358343.jpeg
ZZ Top - Eliminator

This is pretty much the sound of the 80s. It's an album with great singles and good bit of filler and as much as I love it, I'm gonna reach for Tre Hombres long before I reach for this.

4 stars.

Last edited:
Fever_Ray_-_Fever_Ray_cover.png

I was not familiar with the Knife or Fever Ray until their recent album came out. It's odd electronica that will probably grow on me if I return to it. 3 stars. (I also like this better on first listen than I did their newer album)

ab67616d0000b273b7e976d2b35c767f9012cb72

Taylor Swift 1989

I haven't listened to this in a while. My daughter was a Swift fan. I had heard Fearless and Speak Now, but didn't think much of her. It wasn't really country that spoke to me and I, still to this day, find her songwriting to be trite and ego-centric. However, this album, specifically Ryan Adam's version of it, got me to rethink Swift. Like I said, her lyrics still don't really speak to me, but I've come to enjoy her pop confectionery and even embrace her ability to make self-centeredness seem okay. I really came on board with those albums that folks from The National helped with, but this was the point where it becomes unsuprising that I have four of her records on vinyl now. This is the other one I really want and will buy her version when it shows up.

I do find it interesting that she followed this up with Reputation which I found unlistenable upon release. Maybe I'll do a whole discography listen one day.

Anyhow, will give it a listen in a bit and maybe talk some more, but certainly post a score.

Edit: 3 stars, doesn't hold up as well as Red does. Still dig it.

Last edited:
Never really listened to much Baker before, will report back
Tonight:
2a638dd8506bc1d60b1542d7580e476a258b1cab

Never really listened to much Baker before, will report back
This particular brand of slick 80's adult contemporary oriented R&B that is akin to slow jazz and gospel inflected is not my jam. She has a good enough voice, but there are better singers who sing better music in this genre. There is something about her enunciation that is off putting to me as well, I can't describe it, but there are times when it sounds like she doesn't open her mouth all the way and sort of forces it out. Not unlike a horn being muted. It feels like music your parents would snuggle up to I guess. There is something slightly icky about it all to me. I do really like "Same Ole Love" and "Watch Your Step", so it finishes pretty strong. Of course, these are the most upbeat songs on the album. 2 stars

Last edited:
I paused over the weekend for tiling, this is up tonight:
94b4df1e53044c6003efd22e9eb3b42b660946a7
This was the Sunday review at Pitchfork. I'll be listening all week. My listen tonight struck me much as my previous listen here did, Baroque Bryds was not anything I asked for nor much of something I want more of (fortunately, they quickly moved on). However, reading the pitchfork review ( The Byrds: The Notorious Byrd Brothers ), the following struck me as very odd:
But musical trends moved lightning fast during this period, and by the time Crosby was fired in 1967, the Byrds already seemed like yesterday’s news. (An essay on the back cover of a Greatest Hits LP, released that summer, noted that their impact had come “three or four generations ago.”)
Clearly the writer of those liner notes was high. The band's first album came along in 65.

1682481753660.jpeg
Rush - 2112

Rush had some growing pains. Peart wasn’t around for the first album. The second is very much like the first. Caress of Steel is a mess in just about every way, but then this…. A loose concept album about a dystopian future
Steeped in the philosophy of Ayn Rand. Rush merged noodly progressive sensibilities with the hard rock of those first two albums and never looked back leaving a legacy of great albums. It all really starts here though.

5 stars

Day 92 - ...another round of catching up to do!

Day 0092.jpeg

I stalled out on this one because it's not on Stupify, which is how I've been listening to nearly all of the albums for this project. It wasn't particularly difficult to find the full album on YouTube, but any time I've been at my laptop for longer than a few minutes over the past week has been to watch The Mandalorian and the first disc golf Major of the year, which left no time for music.

I wasn't sure I'd heard of these guys but then I recognized "Our House." All in all, though, I was underwhelmed. 2/5

Day 94

Day 0094.jpeg

I never really gave these guys a chance when this came out because "Bittersweet Symphony" was SO overplayed I just decided that the band and everything they did pissed me off. Nuance wasn't always a huge part of my teenage music criticism!

Anyway, it's fine enough fare if a tad too long. Some nice symphonic bits here and there. "Bittersweet Symphony" IS actually a pretty good song when you're not hearing it every damn where you turn. 3/5

Day 95

Day 0095.jpeg

Hadn't heard of this one before but it sure made for a good follow-up after starting the day with The Jesus and Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy.'
I feel like I spent a good portion of my life thinking shoegaze was something different than what it is, which has opened up a wonderful world of late discovery for me recently. Quite dug this one and imagine I'll spend more time with sooner than later. 4/5

Day 95

View attachment 173109

Hadn't heard of this one before but it sure made for a good follow-up after starting the day with The Jesus and Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy.'
I feel like I spent a good portion of my life thinking shoegaze was something different than what it is, which has opened up a wonderful world of late discovery for me recently. Quite dug this one and imagine I'll spend more time with sooner than later. 4/5
I find most shoegaze boring, but am always willing to listen. I also get them all confused... they all have names like Ride and Spoon. If Sleep wasn't sludgy stoner metal, I would assume they were shoegaze.

Day 96

Day 0096.jpeg

I don't Britpop a lot but when I do, it's usually 'Parklife.' This was the only Britpop album I ever really got into - though I never actually owned a copy but I did borrow friends' copies a few times. The first few times I heard "Girls & Boys" I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it, but ultimately I decided I loved it. Then "Parklife" completely won me over - this stuff felt unlike anything else my young teenage ears had heard. Yet none of the other Britpop I heard around the same time did a lot for me, so I never really explored the genre all that much. And Blur sort of fell off for me a bit when "Song 2" became the most annoyingly overplayed song ever for a time. I've been meaning to do a full catalog exploration of their stuff for a while now, and this just reminds me that I should. 4/5

I find most shoegaze boring, but am always willing to listen. I also get them all confused... they all have names like Ride and Spoon. If Sleep wasn't sludgy stoner metal, I would assume they were shoegaze.

One thing I've really learned over the past year or two is that sludgy stoner metal is my jam.

2 more to listen to tomorrow and then I can unlock my pause and hopefully keep on track for a bit again!

1 of them I could probably rate right now but haven't listened to in at least a year so I want to be sure I still think what I think I think, the other is very much considered a classic and I don't know that I've ever actually listened to it from start to finish.

63/1001
Sex Pistols -
Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
220px-Never_Mind_the_Bollocks%2C_Here%27s_the_Sex_Pistols.png

Haven't listened to this in a few years. One of the quintessential blueprints for the pristine punk-rock album. A tight, toned torrent of thrashing cynicism and exuberance. It is joyous, reveling in nasty sneers and perhaps fun in a nihilist manner.
Classic for many, but not to me. Still enjoy it.

Personal favorites: "Holidays in the Sun," "God Save the Queen," "Pretty Vacant"
Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]

Back for now. Will see how long I stick around before I likely bow out for good.

Back