The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't really know this one:
ab67616d0000b273802255bd535533c0e2ba5ad2

Last.fm confirms stating that I have listened to the song Pills once. I know they are an important NY punk band and I know that Buster Poindexter was the front man.

Well Personality Crisis is not the sound I was expecting, neither is Looking for a Kiss. This is proto punk? Oh, about 30 seconds into Looking I hear it a little bit, but this has more to do with Bowie and T. Rex in my opinion. I probably should have been listening to this band more.

28/1001
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

220px-Franz-Ferdinand.PNG

A pretty standard mid-00's indie rock album. "Take Me Out" is a great lead single, but since it's the most iconic and appears early in the tracklisting, it sort of sets the bar high. The rest of the album is all more or less the same musically. Poppy, fun bass and guitar lines, oddly sexual lyrics. It's as if it was a sort of post-punk revivalism that took place without the "talk-singing" that appears to be the trend among modern groups.
It's an enjoyable, but rather passive listen.

Personal highlights: "Take Me Out," "The Dark Of The Matinée," "This Fire"
Rating: 3/5 [Good]

Last edited:
Forgot to post yesterday but Swordfishtrombones is so good. Admittedly there's other Waits albums I usually reach for before this one, but objectively speaking it's probably one of his best and definitely an important turning point in his discography. As always, the lyricism and vocals are top notch. Shifting away from the more traditional sound of his previous albums feels like it helped to respark his creativity, as he's flexing his ability to craft singularly strange, unsettling & darkly humorous stories and images more effectively here than ever before. It's funny too, because knowing that he only leans harder into the surreal subject matter and unconventional instrumentation on future albums makes you realize that this actually isn't that far removed from his 70s output at a lot of points, but at the time this must have come as a huge shock to listeners expecting another Heartattack and Vine. It's most certainly a 5, although I suspect many of you already know that.

Also I soooo wish that Trouble's Braids was longer. Such a cool sounding song.

Forgot to post yesterday but Swordfishtrombones is so good. Admittedly there's other Waits albums I usually reach for before this one, but objectively speaking it's probably one of his best and definitely an important turning point in his discography. As always, the lyricism and vocals are top notch. Shifting away from the more traditional sound of his previous albums feels like it helped to respark his creativity, as he's flexing his ability to craft singularly strange, unsettling & darkly humorous stories and images more effectively here than ever before. It's funny too, because knowing that he only leans harder into the surreal subject matter and unconventional instrumentation on future albums makes you realize that this actually isn't that far removed from his 70s output at a lot of points, but at the time this must have come as a huge shock to listeners expecting another Heartattack and Vine. It's most certainly a 5, although I suspect many of you already know that.

Also I soooo wish that Trouble's Braids was longer. Such a cool sounding song.

One if my absolute faves in his catalogue.

Re: Waits - Probably belongs in the confessions thread, but I really only know Closing Time, Nighthawks, Bone Machine and Black Rider
To be fair though those are four of my personal favorites so that's not bad. You've also managed to hear Waits both at his most normal (Closing Time) and at his most unhinged (The Black Rider).

To be fair though those are four of my personal favorites so that's not bad. You've also managed to hear Waits both at his most normal (Closing Time) and at his most unhinged (The Black Rider).
I remember the evening I bought The Black Rider, it was a really snowy evening, I was a janitor at a mega-church (I was the worst janitor), and I put the album on whilst shoveling snow with churchgoers walking past. It was such a perfect extended moment.

What makes this album a great listen other than the hits is the incredible backing band. Bruce isn't the star on those tracks, but complements them well enough. I went from being a casual fan to really loving the Boss with the release of Magic in 2007, which is still my favorite full album of his. But as I've expressed elsewhere on here, he's pissed me off with his non music activities and it's made me not listen to his music much anymore. There's such great energy on this album that it'll probably spark a few more streams from me this week.
3.5/5
Screenshot_2023-02-13-20-37-02-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

6355798028fb4a7dc1999fbd72a7dc39a91e4876

paul weller - wild wood

i know the name paul weller and that he was in the jam, and that's about it. this album is from 1993 but i felt like i was listening to a record straight out of the 70s, a blend of neil young, traffic, van morrison, terry reid, and the like. i can't say it's the most exciting of listens, and not all of it grabbed me, but i have to say there's a depth and sound to the album that kept me in a positive listening space and appreciating the work that was happening. it's all generally loose and welcoming. that this came out in 1993 amid the grunge wave and still found an audience that rated it so highly is pretty impressive.

Back