That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

What I dont understand about Discogs is that there are variants that you can buy direct from the artists/labels for Retail prices but Discogs sale price/value is well above that.

For example, I bought this Elliot Smith from Bong Load for retail price ($35ish), but it was going in the $100s on Discogs.

This happens a lot with VMP records. Maybe it's because people aren't members but I regularly see things selling for 3-4 times the original price on Discogs while VMP still has those titles in stock.

If the record you want has a UPC... Google the UPC. Hunt around. Punch it into a few countries’ Amazon sites.

I'm surprised to see Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ fight fetching close to $200 for a record I picked up at the local shop for $18. There was a copy there as recently as last Summer, so no idea why this record seems to be so pricy. Perhaps it's now out of print like Pedestrian Verse (which istelf goes for 200+)?

Also, Run The Jewels 3 just became the hottest record on the market and sells for $70+. That album sat around for 3 years until RTJ4 dropped. Now, the repress is selling out in minutes on sites.

There's a Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music on pink vinyl that goes for about $150 while a plain ol' copy of it can be had for $20. Is a pink version really worth the extra money or is there something else different about it?

I imagine part of the Frightened Rabbit spike is couched in the death of Scott Hutchison, it probably puts any idea of pressings or updates on hold for an indefinite amount of time. His death also probably brought interest in the band and opportunists scooping up copies.

The whole "color for three digits while a standard pressing exists at retail" thing will never make a ton of sense to me unless there's something else special about the color pressing or the color pressing really complements the album art/aesthetic/etc. in some way. I think the Sturgill was part of a charity series which does add some context but still an odd phenomenon to me. Not that other collectibles don't have the same experience. Clairo is kind of the same boat. Immunity can be found at retail for ~$20 and the VMP and Beige Indie Pressing are both in the three digit realm. I get the collector's side of it it just feels like a lot of monetary push not backed up by a ton.

There's some other oddities out there. I know the hip-hop market is...nuts, to say the least. Childish Gambino's Because the Internet was available at $40 for quite a while and only a random Newbury copy find saved me from having to drop 100+ on it for my GF. Discogs history is super weird now as it has a mix of retailed finishing out their stock at retail and then re-sellers getting 100, 150+ for it for something readily available fairly recently. The other odd one has been a lot of Marina and the Diamonds - Froot. The price shift doesn't really show up on Discogs largely because copies just because they're not there by and large. There's a handful for sale in the 50-90 range and even Ebay doesn't have much in terms of options. Just an oddball disappearance given her decently large profile as an artist and a dedicated fanbase.

I've been stunned at the recent offerings of Wilco- Summerteeth in the $70 range. When did that go OOP?

I remember getting the whole front half of their discography for like $10 each on Nonesuch's site a few years ago
Yeah, that's a head scratcher. Wilco doesn't seem like the type of band to keep that out of print for long. If I hadn't bought it (probably in the same sale as you) there's no way I'd be spending $70 on it now. (Not because it's not great, but because it's virtually guaranteed to come back in stock.)

I'm still stunned by how much some of the Beatles 2014 Mono titles go for. On one hand, I get it - the quality is top notch and they are technically OOS now. But the press counts on them are likely north of 20K - just damn impressive how much demand there was for these.

I lucked out and snagged the mono box back in 2015 when Amazon CA had a price error. Think I paid ~$90 USD for the set. That one is still sealed; I had another one that I bought when it released and that's the set I play (frequently).

Hoping they do eventually reissue the OOS titles from it. They're THAT good.

Back