That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

All of the reissues of the first three Ocean Blue albums are either CRAZY expensive or unattainable!

...thankfully I got two of them, but I wish I had jumped on the third when I had opportunity.

I bought the bundle when it was announced. Once I got them, they weren’t in the Discogs system and I forgot to add them. The reissue of their first lp is worth more than an original pressing.

Does discogs have any incentive to investigate? Or do they just keep their mouths shut since they’re getting their cut of the fees
Are they getting a cut? I’ve only ever bought so I don’t know. Like 20 years ago I sold things on Ebay, this was before their fees. I was pretty shocked to hear that they started taking a cut. Also, fuck YouTube and Facebook for introducing ads. Ok, I’ve sufficiently dated myself now. Signing off!

Are they getting a cut? I’ve only ever bought so I don’t know. Like 20 years ago I sold things on Ebay, this was before their fees. I was pretty shocked to hear that they started taking a cut. Also, fuck YouTube and Facebook for introducing ads. Ok, I’ve sufficiently dated myself now. Signing off!
They take 8% from the seller

I've never sold anything on Discogs because I'm scared a super-particular buyer will find something to complain about and I don't know how shipping really works, but it would be worth it to try for this one. I've only spun it a few times and it's definitely not a pillar of my collection.

I've never sold anything on Discogs because I'm scared a super-particular buyer will find something to complain about and I don't know how shipping really works, but it would be worth it to try for this one. I've only spun it a few times and it's definitely not a pillar of my collection.

I was hesitant to use it as well but I've sold off 20-30 underplayed albums in my collection over the years. I haven't had any bad experiences other than (rightfully) getting chewed out about how I graded an album when I first started selling. I know others have horror stories but my experiences have been good.

damn... i gave away my old skool copy of stepping into tomorrow (in the pif thread) . If i still had it, i'd probably sell this copy and keep that one.
I might just pickup an old copy instead lol

Things like that smell like money laundering....something that is easy to do with places like Discogs.
So it’s not money laundering but there are things called Buyer’s Clubs which are used to artificially inflate the prices of collectibles. It has trickled into vinyl now. The basic idea is say you want to inflate the price of Stepping Into Tomorrow. And I want to inflate the price of Joey Dosik. You sell me your copy of Stepping Into Tomorrow for $300. I sell you my copy of Joey Dosik for $300. That raises the median value of both albums and buyers see the recent sales price and sellers all see the crazy price it sold for and raise the price of their copies.

The other option I’ve seen is that sometimes you’ll see a brand new buyer with no feedback bidding really high on stuff like eBay. It’s often a plant/someone in a buyer’s club. They bid the price up a lot. If they win the auction, popsike and eBay still register the sale. Person with the new account doesn’t pay, perceived value of the item has gone up and when that item goes up again, whoever else bid on that auction says “well that Joey Dosik sold for $300 last time...if I buy it for $200 it’s a steal!”

this has happened with the Music Matters BN and some people in the MM Facebook group got suckered into it. One guy paid $450 for Speak No Evil but was bidding against someone with zero feedback on a throwaway account. They thought they got a deal because another copy had just sold for $550 a week before.

So it’s not money laundering but there are things called Buyer’s Clubs which are used to artificially inflate the prices of collectibles. It has trickled into vinyl now. The basic idea is say you want to inflate the price of Stepping Into Tomorrow. And I want to inflate the price of Joey Dosik. You sell me your copy of Stepping Into Tomorrow for $300. I sell you my copy of Joey Dosik for $300. That raises the median value of both albums and buyers see the recent sales price and sellers all see the crazy price it sold for and raise the price of their copies.

The other option I’ve seen is that sometimes you’ll see a brand new buyer with no feedback bidding really high on stuff like eBay. It’s often a plant/someone in a buyer’s club. They bid the price up a lot. If they win the auction, popsike and eBay still register the sale. Person with the new account doesn’t pay, perceived value of the item has gone up and when that item goes up again, whoever else bid on that auction says “well that Joey Dosik sold for $300 last time...if I buy it for $200 it’s a steal!”

this has happened with the Music Matters BN and some people in the MM Facebook group got suckered into it. One guy paid $450 for Speak No Evil but was bidding against someone with zero feedback on a throwaway account. They thought they got a deal because another copy had just sold for $550 a week before.
I'm seeing this A LOT on Cogs now. Inexplicable high priced sales on a regular basis.

Back