That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

Anyone have The Fountain they don't listen to any more?
I passed on a local copy for like $35... dumb move.

I LOVE this record. I'm so glad I got it when it was cheap.

The one I am most surprised by is Rihanna - Anti. I got it from the VMP store for about $30.

The other one was just released David Bowie - 1. Outside. I can't believe how much that one is going for.

Not sure how quickly it escalated, but in early 2008 I bought a copy of The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute for about $30 CAD. I had basically just started collecting, and naively assumed you could buy almost anything on vinyl. At one shop, I placed an order for it, and then later that same afternoon found it so I cancelled the original order. It's sold, on average, for $227 and up to $265. It desperately needs a reissue (and remaster) but I don't think I'd sell it anyway.

The one I am most surprised by is Rihanna - Anti. I got it from the VMP store for about $30.

The other one was just released David Bowie - 1. Outside. I can't believe how much that one is going for.

I was waiting for that Bowie reissue! Bought it right away.
Funny though - I can't seem to locate which site I bought from!

I was waiting for that Bowie reissue! Bought it right away.
Funny though - I can't seem to locate which site I bought from!
I would check your emails. I've had this one for a couple months now. I ordered mine from Ameoba.

It really doesn't matter how high the Bowies go, I won't sell them unless I need the money to keep one of my children alive.

I would check your emails. I've had this one for a couple months now. I ordered mine from Ameoba.

It really doesn't matter how high the Bowies go, I won't sell them unless I need the money to keep one of my children alive.

Been searching my emails.
Found it. Local shop, used my card and it was in my email receipt. :D

Last edited:
Here's one that really surprised me, and I just noticed it the other day. I picked this up new for $15 on sale and had no idea the run was split between black vinyl and clear vinyl. This is the clear version.
View attachment 4414View attachment 4415
I remember getting this at a book store for like $20 to test out my new system. Had no idea it was worth anything!

I have two examples which I guess are not that surprising, as they are both video game soundtracks and video game vinyls are kinda built around the idea of exclusivity. But I am a tiny bit surprised just because these two boxsets were on sale for *months* at lower prices. I took my sweet time buying them. But now that they are out of stock they are going for crazy high prices on discogs.

Fallout 4 OST (blue vinyl) - Bought for $80 during a sale, there's now 3 copies on discogs ranging in price from $145-$500, most recently sold for $278

Mass Effect Trilogy OST - I bought for $100, now there is a total of one copy for sale on discogs for $560, most recently sold for $346

That’s how I feel about my first run Barnes & Noble clear Blackstar.

Here's one that really surprised me, and I just noticed it the other day. I picked this up new for $15 on sale and had no idea the run was split between black vinyl and clear vinyl. This is the clear version.
View attachment 4414View attachment 4415

Even though they said it was split, early copies were mostly clear vinyl as I recall. I bought three upon release determined to get a clear version. The upshot is all three were clear versions, two of which are now in friends' collections.

So this is a strange one. I picked up the limited edition Rihanna - complete works box set a few years ago quite cheap. It was around £80 which for 8 2lp sets, a slip mat, hardback book, and case was a pretty decent deal. This box can be picked up on Discogs now for around £126. The thing is, it includes the same Uk/Europe pressing of Anti as the one you linked to.....which sells for £79.

How bout Ween Pure Guava? I'm giving up on finding one I can afford.

I've noticed this going up in value too. I definitely got mine from VMP. I feel like it could have even been a swap?

How bout Ween Pure Guava? I'm giving up on finding one I can afford.

Speaking of Ween, my RSD clear vinyl pressing of The Pod goes for quite a bit these days...

Mass Effect Trilogy OST - I bought for $100, now there is a total of one copy for sale on discogs for $560, most recently sold for $346

Kicking myself that I wasnt into vinyl when that was up for sale.

I think I have finished each game in the trilogy 5x over. Just loved the world building and atmosphere of em.

Guess I will have to mortgage my house when I decide to buy it in the future xD

Kicking myself that I wasnt into vinyl when that was up for sale.

I think I have finished each game in the trilogy 5x over. Just loved the world building and atmosphere of em.

Guess I will have to mortgage my house when I decide to buy it in the future xD

Oh man, I'm sorry! Retroactive regrets suck. It is my favorite game series, so great.

Back