That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

I hadn't explored this thread in awhile, but it feels like vinyl inflation is moving at 10X the national inflation rate. The entire first page of discogs collection is $100+ on the median now. That's insane. Every time I look at this I can't help but think about selling it all and going very hard on the digital side. I'm talking Lumin P1 AND a new amp level. But I just know I'd miss the collection almost immediately.

Some of the prices on these older records is getting crazy.

1975 press of Allen Toussaint 's Summer Nights is about $75 right now.
This DESPERATELY needs an AAA repress. Hoping speakers Corner can get the rights. Looks like I bought that for $15 off eBay a few years ago but my copy has some surface noise.

Some people kinda suck is the sad conclusion I draw from this first 'for sale' post for the Microphones box set that just landed this week.

In general, I agree with this statement, across the board, regarding humans.

The only thing that helps my brain is thinking that maybe someone really needs the money, and is flipping to supplement their income, or lack thereof. I still don't like immediate flippers, but we just don't know everyone's life situation.

Still irks me to see it, I confess.

In general, I agree with this statement, across the board, regarding humans.

The only thing that helps my brain is thinking that maybe someone really needs the money, and is flipping to supplement their income, or lack thereof. I still don't like immediate flippers, but we just don't know everyone's life situation.

Still irks me to see it, I confess.
You're absolutely right and I know I have no right to, or necessarily legitimate basis for, the conclusion I've drawn, but yeah, it irks me a bit. It's something about the premeditation involved I think. But I suppose the reality is we're not talking about life essentials here, so no actual harm done.

I think there's honestly room for third party sellers but that is the kind of flipping that really does irk me: folks who clearly bought it to just move it immediately at an egregious profit. I understand it's somewhat on the producer of the good for underproducing quantity or underpricing to market but there's also a line where they are also underpricing to make sure more of their fans can justify the purchase.

The vinylcollectors subreddit has a 90 day rule preventing sales of new releases unless there is a wanted post for it which really does help a ton on those types of seller (though folks trying to sell that Jeff Beck MoFi sure didn't care about that rule...)

I think there's honestly room for third party sellers but that is the kind of flipping that really does irk me: folks who clearly bought it to just move it immediately at an egregious profit. I understand it's somewhat on the producer of the good for underproducing quantity or underpricing to market but there's also a line where they are also underpricing to make sure more of their fans can justify the purchase.

The vinylcollectors subreddit has a 90 day rule preventing sales of new releases unless there is a wanted post for it which really does help a ton on those types of seller (though folks trying to sell that Jeff Beck MoFi sure didn't care about that rule...)

The product is underproduced with intent.

If I'm a D list rapper, and I try to sell 3,000 albums... well I might sell 100. Butttt, if i make it limited to 300 then they will be sold the same day AND give me clout AND make my next run more profitable.

Don't blame the artist, blame yourself. Silly fomo head (I consider myself a silly fomo head as well)

Last edited:
Back