Television

Also, watch the first two episodes of HULU’s Shogun last night and oh man is this show fantastic. It’s beautifully shot (the CGI is excellent) and the story feels like Game Of Thrones if you eliminate all the fantasy elements and replace Westeros with 1600s Feudal Japan. The emperor has died, his son is too young to rule and there are five clan that are vying to replace the fallen leader.

Good stuff.
Did almost loose my dinner with one of the executions

Also, watch the first two episodes of HULU’s Shogun last night and oh man is this show fantastic. It’s beautifully shot (the CGI is excellent) and the story feels like Game Of Thrones if you eliminate all the fantasy elements and replace Westeros with 1600s Feudal Japan. The emperor has died, his son is too young to rule and there are five clan that are vying to replace the fallen leader.

Good stuff.
Agreed, it's fantastic! So nice to have an epic show back that doesn't involve dragons or hobbits (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Good stuff.
Good to hear. We're probably hooked on Slow Horses for a bit, but Shogun is on our shortlist.

Polly's digging Shōgun, too

View attachment 196454
Lol, I was just about to come on here to ask if anyone was watching Shogun on Hulu. I watched the two released episodes yesterday. Really enjoying it. But it looks like a few of y'all are already keyed in on it.

My only gripe....it makes me interested in looking up the background of the source material and the historical figures. I hate it when TV tries to make me learn.

My only gripe....it makes me interested in looking up the background of the source material and the historical figures. I hate it when TV tries to make me learn.
If a show makes me start looking up stuff on Wikipedia then it’s either super confusing or super interesting. Thankfully with Shogun, it’s the latter.

If a show makes me start looking up stuff on Wikipedia then it’s either super confusing or super interesting. Thankfully with Shogun, it’s the latter.
Yea, I agree (of course, I was kidding about TV making me learn). I do not find the show confusing - which is nice. I do, however, find it interesting. My world history knowledge is not bad and I am not oblivious to the general history - in broad strokes - of Japan. But reading about the real life counterparts (e.g. William Adams [John Blackthorne in the show]) is really interesting.

Yea, I agree (of course, I was kidding about TV making me learn). I do not find the show confusing - which is nice. I do, however, find it interesting. My world history knowledge is not bad and I am not oblivious to the general history - in broad strokes - of Japan. But reading about the real life counterparts (e.g. William Adams [John Blackthorne in the show]) is really interesting.
Oh I might have to get into this show.

Looks like it's based on the same historic material as the first game in the Nioh series. We had a blast looking up the historic references when my partner was playing. The game is especially cool because it intertwines the historical shogunate aspects with yokai mythologies.

Finished up Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I really enjoyed it. Did a great job of investing you in the characters with such a short amount of episodes. The finale left it fairly open ended

They could come back with season 2 where somehow the 3 shots were Jane shooting the other Jane after wrestling over the gun. They could also come back with an entirely new John and Jane and leave it opened ended on whether our John and Jane survived with us to assume they didn't make it. Another thought I had, Hihi is AI. It paired up John and Jane based on their personalities and history. It knew they would fail some missions. It sent the other John and Jane to see if they could survive. What got me thinking of it was Parker Posey saying "Supe" could see the future and knew what you would do before you did it. I believe she referred to Supe as he so maybe it's a real person aided by AI or an AI with a human vessel. I also think the original John and Jane at the beginning of episode 1 we see are killed by our John and Jane after they've moved up

Finished up Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I really enjoyed it. Did a great job of investing you in the characters with such a short amount of episodes. The finale left it fairly open ended
We just finished the episode where they go to couples' counseling (which was cool bc we just saw Sara Paulson last week on Broadway) and I'm still pretty lukewarm to the show. I think it's probably more enjoyable if you think of it as a show about a relationship, not a show about spies, because the spy stuff is pretty half-assed IMO

We just finished the episode where they go to couples' counseling (which was cool bc we just saw Sara Paulson last week on Broadway) and I'm still pretty lukewarm to the show. I think it's probably more enjoyable if you think of it as a show about a relationship, not a show about spies, because the spy stuff is pretty half-assed IMO
The cast is obviously dynamite, but why did this need to get made? A quick google search shows (at the very least) this is the 2nd time they've done a show, and 3 movies, all with the same title. I don't want to say this kind of thing is beneath Donald Glover because the dude deserves to have fun every once in a while (was he having fun though?), but let's get some fresh material for him. To follow up Atlanta with this is real disappointing.

I fully agree with this: "more enjoyable if you think of it as a show about a relationship, not a show about spies"

They downplayed the spy thing and really went out on the relationship angle. It still worked for me and I enjoyed most of the series. I could see a second season shifting a bit more toward the spy side of things, but because it went hard on the relationship my wife enjoyed watching it with me so that was a win in my book.

The cast is obviously dynamite, but why did this need to get made? A quick google search shows (at the very least) this is the 2nd time they've done a show, and 3 movies, all with the same title. I don't want to say this kind of thing is beneath Donald Glover because the dude deserves to have fun every once in a while (was he having fun though?), but let's get some fresh material for him. To follow up Atlanta with this is real disappointing.
Well seeing as he was one of the creators and producers of this version, I am pretty sure he had fun. Definitely has his stamp on it.

I enjoyed the show, but felt that is started to drag with episode 6 and 7. I loved all the cameos and the Ron Perlman ep especially was very fun. I didn’t have high expectations and it certainly met them.

Back