Television

I never have seen more than bit's and pieces of the original animated series, i'm going to try to find it for sure now.

Wasn't there a movie on this too? Pretty sure I watched it but it wasn't all that memorable to me.
The movie notoriously sucks. The series is terrific. I highly recommend it.

I started watching Deadwood like 5-6 years and usually fell asleep or didn't really follow along as well as I should have so I gave it up after like 5 episodes. I'm currently giving it another try and just started on season 2. I have one question that I want to google but I know I could be spoiled.

I HATE AL SWEARENGEN. I know he's supposed to be hated and he's playing his role well, but in a lawless place like Deadwood, why hasn't anyone tried to kill him? the show would probably not exist if he just dies, and of course these characters are based on real life people so they cannot actually change much with the story. But I hate him. That's all.

I can't remember who initially recommended Slow Horses, but thanks!
We finished S1 last night and loved it. I kept waiting for Gary Oldman to over-do it but he was fantastic.
It is a case where the show surpasses the books in my opinion. I am not a big fan of Mick Herron’s writing.

I started watching Deadwood like 5-6 years and usually fell asleep or didn't really follow along as well as I should have so I gave it up after like 5 episodes. I'm currently giving it another try and just started on season 2. I have one question that I want to google but I know I could be spoiled.

I HATE AL SWEARENGEN. I know he's supposed to be hated and he's playing his role well, but in a lawless place like Deadwood, why hasn't anyone tried to kill him? the show would probably not exist if he just dies, and of course these characters are based on real life people so they cannot actually change much with the story. But I hate him. That's all.
I can't say there's going to be some point where Al becomes your favorite, because if the flowery language brought low by peppered in swearing isn't charming you, that's kind of the main thing. Story-wise, maybe it helps to know that everything he does, he does for the camp at large. His motivations may center on what's good for the Gem and his business interests, but that does bubble up to become a personal emotional investment in the town and some sense of order. So the contradiction is a little fascinating.

I loved Al, but I suppose it's in the same way I loved Don Draper and Tony Soprano. A supremely well acted 'bad guy' that chews up scenes.
After multiple viewings I did realize he was ruthless but to agree with @Bull Shannon - it was mostly for the benefit of the camp.

I think one of my favorite characters all these years later is Doc Cochran. The writing for his character was excellent, and he delivered said dialogue so perfectly.

Funny thing about Al, as immoral and corrupt as he is by the end of the show (especially during my rewatch) I found Al to shift a bit still not a hero but also not a complete villain either. Obviously Seth Bullock is the righteous yin to Al’s blackened yang but they eventually strike a balance where together they work for the greater good of the town and its people.

After the series, I would recommend giving the movie a watch too. It adds another layer and gives the characters (especially Al, the proper send off).

It’s funny, the first time I watch Sopranos I liked the Mob guys well enough but the second time through I really noticed how petty and vindictive and shitty these people were they weren’t even anti-hero’s so much as just assholes.

The rewatch of Deadwood had almost the opposite effect made me much more sympathetic to Al Swearengin, he was not a good man but given the time and place I don’t think there were many good man that had a position of power at that time and many that were righteous often ended up dead.

I can't say there's going to be some point where Al becomes your favorite, because if the flowery language brought low by peppered in swearing isn't charming you, that's kind of the main thing. Story-wise, maybe it helps to know that everything he does, he does for the camp at large. His motivations may center on what's good for the Gem and his business interests, but that does bubble up to become a personal emotional investment in the town and some sense of order. So the contradiction is a little fascinating.

I loved Al, but I suppose it's in the same way I loved Don Draper and Tony Soprano. A supremely well acted 'bad guy' that chews up scenes.
After multiple viewings I did realize he was ruthless but to agree with @Bull Shannon - it was mostly for the benefit of the camp.

I think one of my favorite characters all these years later is Doc Cochran. The writing for his character was excellent, and he delivered said dialogue so perfectly.

Funny thing about Al, as immoral and corrupt as he is by the end of the show (especially during my rewatch) I found Al to shift a bit still not a hero but also not a complete villain either. Obviously Seth Bullock is the righteous yin to Al’s blackened yang but they eventually strike a balance where together they work for the greater good of the town and its people.

After the series, I would recommend giving the movie a watch too. It adds another layer and gives the characters (especially Al, the proper send off).

It’s funny, the first time I watch Sopranos I liked the Mob guys well enough but the second time through I really noticed how petty and vindictive and shitty these people were they weren’t even anti-hero’s so much as just assholes.

The rewatch of Deadwood had almost the opposite effect made me much more sympathetic to Al Swearengin, he was not a good man but given the time and place I don’t think there were many good man that had a position of power at that time and many that were righteous often ended up dead.
I guess I don't see how he's helping the camp long term, yet. I think he's too brash, killed some people who didn't deserve it. I just don't like the way he goes about his business. He's far better than Cy Tolliver though :sick:. Bullock is sort of the protagonist so to see him go up against Swearingin makes me like him less.

The Doc is great! He seems to be one of few characters with more of a moral compass.

Also, watch the first two episodes of HULU’s Shogun last night and oh man is this show fantastic. It’s beautifully shot (the CGI is excellent) and the story feels like Game Of Thrones if you eliminate all the fantasy elements and replace Westeros with 1600s Feudal Japan. The emperor has died, his son is too young to rule and there are five clan that are vying to replace the fallen leader.

Good stuff.

Back