Television

A flat circle indeed.
I heard it had its best ratings for the finale and as far as “rankings” go it was the number one show on max for its entire run. Which doesn’t say much when compared to it competition but still.

I heard it had its best ratings for the finale and as far as “rankings” go it was the number one show on max for its entire run. Which doesn’t say much when compared to it competition but still.
It was massively successful in ratings and many critics highly ranked it; even the skeptical stuck it out to the end. I'll even give this next season a shot; the fact that the Night Country project was initially unrelated to True Detective leads me to wonder if Lopez could better conceptualize a TD show from the onset. Then again, the question of whether or not this show worked as a "True Detective" project was the least of my concerns sitting down to watch, nor my criticisms after having seen it.

Last edited:
It was massively successful in ratings and many critics highly ranked it; even the skeptical stuck it out to the end. I'll even give this next season a shot; the fact that the Night Country project was initially unrelated to True Detective leads me to wonder if Rae could better conceptualize a TD show from the onset. Then again, the question of whether or not this show worked as a "True Detective" project was the least of my concerns sitting down to watch, nor my criticisms after having seen it.
Yeah I am sure I will watch it too.

the question of whether or not this show worked as a "True Detective" project
To be fair this is the question that has plagued the show from the beginning, because a) none of them have totally worked 100%, and b) "True Detective" doesn't actually mean anything.

I forget if it was here or somewhere else that I saw someone say their headcanon is that The Night Of and Mare of Easttown are like unofficial True Detective entries, and I kind of like that. The way to make TD really work as an anthology is to make it a platform that exists for different writers/creators to come in and tell their one-shot, long-format detective stories that they wouldn't otherwise get to tell. That's it, no other criteria: no need to weave in the occult, no need for a shared universe, no need to have a follow-up idea in your back pocket for the next season.

To be fair this is the question that has plagued the show from the beginning, because a) none of them have totally worked 100%, and b) "True Detective" doesn't actually mean anything.

I forget if it was here or somewhere else that I saw someone say their headcanon is that The Night Of and Mare of Easttown are like unofficial True Detective entries, and I kind of like that. The way to make TD really work as an anthology is to make it a platform that exists for different writers/creators to come in and tell their one-shot, long-format detective stories that they wouldn't otherwise get to tell. That's it, no other criteria: no need to weave in the occult, no need for a shared universe, no need to have a follow-up idea in your back pocket for the next season.
maybe HBO should hire you

exploits_of_a_mom.png

💯 a decade ago the idea of leaving it all on the table story and theme-wise was a lot more rare and revolutionary; even the trappings of “two philosophically opposed detectives with a haunted, shared past solving a murder” are unnecessary imo.

💯 a decade ago the idea of leaving it all on the table story and theme-wise was a lot more rare and revolutionary; even the trappings of “two philosophically opposed detectives with a haunted, shared past solving a murder” are unnecessary imo.
Yes! Not just unnecessary; bewildering that they think *that* is the secret ingredient that will always make it work. Show me a sheriff in Gold Rush San Francisco! I mean does a detective even need to be a cop? Show me a samurai in feudal Japan! Show me a mystery set during South African apartheid! Show me a murder on the ISS!

The only time they strayed from this dynamic is when they tried to expand it to THREE haunted detectives. Everybody hated that, which proves that two is the magic number, and there's no other explanation.

Yes! Not just unnecessary; bewildering that they think *that* is the secret ingredient that will always make it work. Show me a sheriff in Gold Rush San Francisco! I mean does a detective even need to be a cop? Show me a samurai in feudal Japan! Show me a mystery set during South African apartheid! Show me a murder on the ISS!

The only time they strayed from this dynamic is when they tried to expand it to THREE haunted detectives. Everybody hated that, which proves that two is the magic number, and there's no other explanation.
Someone get Zaslav on the line…this guy deserves every penny.

Few notes: Can the Samouri be Colin Farrell’s great great grandfather? Also, we may wanna work a few cryptic spirals into story, lastly can we have someone just completely out of context quote the big taglines maybe the San Fran sheriff could shout “Wrong Question” at his partner at some point.

Someone get Zaslav on the line…this guy deserves every penny.

Few notes: Can the Samouri be Colin Farrell’s great great grandfather? Also, we may wanna work a few cryptic spirals into story, lastly can we have someone just completely out of context quote the big taglines maybe the San Fran sheriff could shout “Wrong Question” at his partner at some point.
Maybe the samurai solves crimes while traveling through time using Big Foot's ice tunnel?
WY2CkPU.gif

Back