Television

I found S1 solid but flawed. S2 has probably been my favorite thing I've watched this year though.

If you haven't seen I Origins, The Sound of My Voice or Another Earth, you should probably get on that. All were co-written (and star) Brit Marling.
Hell yes, love the recommendations of her other work, I’m on it!

Couldn’t agree more on Season 2, it’s funny, I went in hoping it would be as good as Season 1....then it proceeded to blow a hole through my mind, and be twice as good as the first.

Did anyone watch I Think You Should Leave? It's a super quick watch of only 6 episodes at around 15 minutes each, but it's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
I've watched half of it so far. It's really funny, but also pretty out there. My wife gave me a wtf are you watching stare

I really wish I could get into this more. My wife and I both loved the film but have been struggling with the series. I just don't find it that funny. There have been episodes where I don't even laugh at all.
I really enjoy WWDITS, but I do think it's still kinda finding its footing. Even if I don't laugh as much as I want to, I just enjoy spending time in the world and with the characters. I think it could grow into something amazing.
Even though I usually like Nick Kroll I found that episode to be abymsal...
Yeah, i will agree with this. He was so out of place, and a lot of the way he threw in his style of speaking/being funny doesn't jive with everything else the show is doing. Felt awkward.

Oh also yes Atlanta is still pretty much the best show on tv even though it’s not airing this year.

Mr. Robot is an incredible work that I feel is telling a fascinating story. I can’t wait to see how it all wraps up this year.

Rick and Morty is one of the most overrated shows. But it’s fine.

Mad Men is my all time favorite.

I still need to watch The OA.

Hilda is my favorite animated show right now.

Aside from what I’ve said above, Russian Doll is the best tv show I’ve watched this year.

What is "the Wire"???

giphy.gif

Mad Men could be better in its depiction of its black characters. It's still one of the Goat dramas, but that flaw keeps it from the top spot IMO. Also Twin Peaks season 2 is mostly terrible and keeps it from the top 5 best. Probably not from the most influential or important though.
I agree, and yet it is a world about privilege, right? These folks are fairly well paid, on the show. And the black characters are on the fringes of their exclusionary society. It’s accurate and disheartening. Minority characters on Mad Men, mainly African Americans seem to be bearing witness to the hypocrisies and the often times deplorable behavior of our protagonists. I think of Carla, the longtime Draper nanny who is unceremoniously fires by Betty in season 4 because of Betty’s petty fixation with Glen Bishop. There’s a scene in season 3 where following the murder of Medgar Evers, Betty suggests that maybe the civil rights movement was essentially doomed. “Maybe it’s just not the time yet.”

Carla’s response is non-verbal. Just this look of rage and sadness.

When Mad Men did tackle race, it could be rather effective. I wish it had done more with Dawn and Carla, specifically.

Did anyone watch I Think You Should Leave? It's a super quick watch of only 6 episodes at around 15 minutes each, but it's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
I find it SUPER hit or miss. When it hits it really is some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen, but when it misses I find it really bad.

That car focus-group sketch was absolutely hilarious.

I am still bummed out bout adventure time being gone.

But we got rick and morty and that endless space was pretty decent once I got away its quirkyness haha

Back