Television

I see a lot of love for it here. From somebody who just finds it kind of boring can you explain what makes you like it so much?

The film making is top notch. Ditto for the writing whether that be it's playfulness with form, the sharp dialogue or it's character development.

And it's tone is 100% unique and utterly brilliant... blending the off beat, wacky humor of 30 Rock, the surrealist edge of Louie and the grounded, socio-politics of The Wire. Several of my black friends have referred to it as the best representation of what it feels like to be black in (modern) America that they've come across. Granted they are all Millennials.

Last edited:
Best Dramas Ever
1. Mad Men
2. The Wire
3. Twin Peaks
4. The Leftovers
5. The Pacific (yes, a miniseries but whatevs)

Best Sitcoms Ever
1. Parks and Rec
2. The Simpsons (Seasons 3-10)
3. I Love Lucy (it still works)
4. Arrested Developement (seasons 1-3)
5. Space Ghost

Best Dramas Ever
1. Mad Men
2. The Wire
3. Twin Peaks
4. The Leftovers

Best Sitcoms Ever
1. Parks and Rec
5. Space Ghost
The Leftovers was good, but damn.

The Leftovers was good, but damn.
I mean, I’ve never really gotten those International Assasin episodes out of my head and I’m haunted by the final convo between Kevin and Nora. So perfectly acted and written. And it’s a scene filled with so much subtext. What does it mean to believe in a religious faith or a theory or even believe in somebody? It requires a huge leap.

I mean, I’ve never really gotten those International Assasin episodes out of my head and I’m haunted by the final convo between Kevin and Nora. So perfectly acted and written. And it’s a scene filled with so much subtext. What does it mean to believe in a religious faith or a theory or even believe in somebody? It requires a huge leap.
I mean I get it, S2 and 3 are damn near perfect television. I've just never seen anyone rank it that high. As great as it is I dont think it would be close to my top 10 let alone top 5

I mean I get it, S2 and 3 are damn near perfect television. I've just never seen anyone rank it that high. As great as it is I dont think it would be close to my top 10 let alone top 5
Oh, I’m with you in regards to seeing no one really rank it that high. I was surprised when I placed it on my list but it felt emotionally right.

Although I didn’t list BoJack Horseman and now realize that my list is full of shit.

HBO has been my only shit all year. I'm almost caught up in Deadwood for the movie. On season 5 of Veep. On season 2 of The Sopranos. Loving the new season of Barry. Plan on hitting Big Little Lies once I finish Deadwood. All so good.

Best Dramas Ever
1. Mad Men
2. The Wire
3. Twin Peaks
4. The Leftovers

Best Sitcoms Ever
1. Parks and Rec
5. Space Ghost
Mad Men could be better in its depiction of its black characters. It's still one of the Goat dramas, but that flaw keeps it from the top spot IMO. Also Twin Peaks season 2 is mostly terrible and keeps it from the top 5 best. Probably not from the most influential or important though.

HBO has been my only shit all year. I'm almost caught up in Deadwood for the movie. On season 5 of Veep. On season 2 of The Sopranos. Loving the new season of Barry. Plan on hitting Big Little Lies once I finish Deadwood. All so good.
We rewatched Deadwood in anticipation of the new movie. Best TV show of all time IMO

And the leftovers is the best show of the past 10 years.

We rewatched Deadwood in anticipation of the new movie. Best TV show of all time IMO
We recently did the same and while I cant outright say it's the best show of all time, its definitely on the short list fighting for it.
And the leftovers is the best show of the past 10 years
I'd take The Knick, Fargo, The Americans and The Breaking Bad Duo over it personally.

Last edited:
It makes me sad how few people seem to have watched and/or appreciated the Americans. As far as I'm concerned seasons 3-6 might be the best character study television has given us.

It doesn't help that S1 (while solid) is a very different show because FX was still finding their voice as a Network.

We recently did the same and while I cant outright say it's the best show of all time, its definitely on the short list fighting for it.

I'd take The Knick, Fargo, The Americans and The Breaking Bad Duo over it personally.
You have a point with the Americans. The Knick sucked balls

Back