Television

Just finished it. Pretty great start to the new season. Onto the next one…which has a…familiar title
So...I'm not saying it's a carbon copy, because it goes in other places...but the launching premise of Ep01 is the South Park human centipede episode where people don't read the Apple terms and conditions from years ago.

"So whose anus is doing the shitting?"

"Ummm...Salma Hayek's anus."

Also...is that a Charlie's Angels outfit Salma is supposed to be in? Or Kill Bill? It's an homage to something, right?

And Salma saying Com-puta for computer...it is a very quotable episode.

Oh...twist ending! I should have known, Black Mirror, and not given live impressions cause now I just took a shit in the proverbial church of this thread. Duck you, Michael Cera!

Last edited:
So...I'm not saying it's a carbon copy, because it goes in other places...but the launching premise of Ep01 is the South Park human centipede episode where people don't read the Apple terms and conditions from years ago.

"So whose anus is doing the shitting?"

"Ummm...Salma Hayek's anus."

Also...is that a Charlie's Angels outfit Salma is supposed to be in? Or Kill Bill? It's an homage to something, right?

And Salma saying Com-puta for computer...it is a very quotable episode.

Oh...twist ending! I should have known, Black Mirror, and not given live impressions cause now I just took a shit in the proverbial church of this thread. Duck you, Michael Cera!
Tbh I didn't love the concept of not reading terms of service cause it did feel like I had seen it somewhere else. But the rest of it was great.

Only one ep left of Black Mirror. The last one (Mazey Day) was easily the weakest so far which sucks cause I love Zazie Beetz.

Tbh I didn't love the concept of not reading terms of service cause it did feel like I had seen it somewhere else. But the rest of it was great.
Terms and conditions was definitely low hanging fruit, but I love the message that essentially anyone is fair game to 1. Go viral in a negative light and 2. The people have always been the product. This is why social media is free. We voluntarily put our personal lives out there for the world to see and consume.

Terms and conditions was definitely low hanging fruit, but I love the message that essentially anyone is fair game to 1. Go viral in a negative light and 2. The people have always been the product. This is why social media is free. We voluntarily put our personal lives out there for the world to see and consume.
As the saying goes, if you don't pay for it then you are the product being sold

Who's caught up with Silo?

I started reading Wool years ago but got distracted and never finished, so my knowledge of the source material is basically capped at the first 1-2 episodes.

My take so far is that the premise is compelling to think about, but putting it on screen may work to its disadvantage because it makes things more concrete in a way that makes the suspension of disbelief suffer.

There's also a lot of really terrible accent work in this show. That's not something that I usually give a lot of attention, but as a UK production they've cast a whole lot of folks who cannot deliver a convincing American accent to save their lives, and the absolute worst offender is the star of the show. The whole thing takes a hit because almost everybody sounds wrong. If there's a plot-driven reason for this I'll come back around to reconsider, but so far there's no sign that's what is going on here.

You know how some shows don't completely work from a plot perspective but they still hang together because of the chemistry of the actors? In this case I think we have the opposite. The central mystery of Silo keeps me watching, but if you were to remove that one key ingredient then I'm not sure there would be much left that's worthwhile.

PS: I'm not sure Common actually works for me as an actor in any role I've seen him in. He's a good looking guy with a great voice & charisma to burn, but something feels off about every performance I've ever seen him give. He's delivering some particularly thick slices of ham in Silo.
Agreed. He's what my wife and I call a "bland man".

PS: I'm not sure Common actually works for me as an actor in any role I've seen him in. He's a good looking guy with a great voice & charisma to burn, but something feels off about every performance I've ever seen him give. He's delivering some particularly thick slices of ham in Silo.
This is my biggest issue. Common cannot act, other than slight variations of myself. This is tough Common, this is hangry Common, this is happy Common. If he is the big baddie, then they really poorly cast the character.

This is my biggest issue. Common cannot act, other than slight variations of myself. This is tough Common, this is hangry Common, this is happy Common. If he is the big baddie, then they really poorly cast the character.

I've only seen him in a couple of things, and most recently Never Have I Ever, which is an excellent show, but this pretty much sums it up.

Agreed. He's what my wife and I call a "bland man".

I've only seen him in a couple of things, and most recently Never Have I Ever, which is an excellent show, but this pretty much sums it up.
I don't even think he's bland. He's got *something* and you can't really take your eyes off him when he's on screen, but he's also not good, or at least has never been given the right role and/or put in the work to channel what makes him a compelling presence into becoming a better actor.

I don't even think he's bland. He's got *something* and you can't really take your eyes off him when he's on screen, but he's also not good, or at least has never been given the right role and/or put in the work to channel what makes him a compelling presence into becoming a better actor.
My wife gets angry about his leather coat. While they seem to have a few cows in the silo, they tightly control resources. Using the hide for a “cool” jacket is such a waste when the leather could be used for other practical things. We still keep watching though.

My wife gets angry about his leather coat. While they seem to have a few cows in the silo, they tightly control resources. Using the hide for a “cool” jacket is such a waste when the leather could be used for other practical things. We still keep watching though.
Yes! And every time someone casually shatters or burns an object, it's like "welp, there goes another non-renewable resource."

Back