Television

My husband and I started The Bear season 2 at lunchtime. (Yes, we both did get a "little" bit of work done this afternoon) Just finished it. So good and the soundtrack is outstanding.
We are almost done a rewatch of the first season. I still need a couple more days to recover after the 2nd to last ep. That single shot ep brings back ptsd for me.

We are almost done a rewatch of the first season. I still need a couple more days to recover after the 2nd to last ep. That single shot ep brings back ptsd for me.
I wish we had rewatched season 1 recently. Prob going to tomorrow since weather forecast isn’t good.

That ep was insanely great tv.

My friend and I finally finished season 2 of Yellowjackets and think that the show kind of derailed leading up to that point. It was ok, but the story beats didn't really cut it for how long it took to get to them. Season 1 was great for it's uniqueness, but this is already feeling like a 3 season show stretched out into a (planned) 5 season one.

My friend and I finally finished season 2 of Yellowjackets and think that the show kind of derailed leading up to that point. It was ok, but the story beats didn't really cut it for how long it took to get to them. Season 1 was great for it's uniqueness, but this is already feeling like a 3 season show stretched out into a (planned) 5 season one.
We made it about 3/4ths of the way in S2 and the way they’re telling the story is so painfully slow. Some of the actors are getting on my nerves as well.

I tried to watch The Bear last year, but just wasn't feeling it with the first episode. Gonna try again today.
A friend strongly recommended The Bear (S1) to me, and I recall feeling underwhelmed after watching the first episode. But, we stuck with it, and quickly realized just how excellent it truly is. Definitely give it another chance.

Sadly this is what Showtime does. I haven’t yet watched season two yet but this was my fear after enjoying the heck out of Weeds and Dexter in the early 00s only to give up on both before they ended. It’s always better to leave too early than overstay your welcome. Showtime just doesn’t get that unfortunately.

Sadly this is what Showtime does. I haven’t yet watched season two yet but this was my fear after enjoying the heck out of Weeds and Dexter in the early 00s only to give up on both before they ended. It’s always better to leave too early than overstay your welcome. Showtime just doesn’t get that unfortunately.
Seems to fit right in with those shows (also Shameless, Californication, Homeland, etc) in starting out really good, and then going on waaaay too long. I think in this case the showrunners had it planned out for 5 seasons, tho, which may have just been a flawed idea from the start. I'll check out next season to see if they can get back on course.

Seems to fit right in with those shows (also Shameless, Californication, Homeland, etc) in starting out really good, and then going on waaaay too long. I think in this case the showrunners had it planned out for 5 seasons, tho, which may have just been a flawed idea from the start. I'll check out next season to see if they can get back on course.
Yes to both Homeland and Californication, I never even gave Shameless or Nurse Jackie a shot because by then I was fairly annoyed with Showtime originals. Yellowjackets was the first one I was willing to give a chance since and to hear it’s heading the way it is makes me appreciate HBO (RIP) even more. If Succession was on Showtime we would be heading towards double digit seasons .

We made it about 3/4ths of the way in S2 and the way they’re telling the story is so painfully slow. Some of the actors are getting on my nerves as well.
Yeah I’ve tried to avoid yucking people’s yums because plenty of people online still enjoy the show but this season was cartoonishly bad. I felt like season one balanced the two storylines and unraveling the mystery really well, but I’d argue both stories spin their wheels in season 2, the present-day storyline especially. Lots of stories and character moments where I was asking “why are you just hanging out with a cult?”, “shouldn’t you be more stressed out by the police investigation?”, and “don’t you have a political career and a child?”

I will say the part where the girl realizes her pet mouse has been dead and mummified the whole time was incredibly effective and fucked me up a bit.

Extending out the Brody arc for 3 full seasons and then just pivoting to something else entirely for another 5 seasons was certainly a choice. I watched them all and don't remember thinking "this is bad", but I also can't remember a single storyline post season 3.

“why are you just hanging out with a cult?”, “shouldn’t you be more stressed out by the police investigation?”, and “don’t you have a political career and a child?”
The stakes do seem comically low in the present day storyline. I took it as a "we survived a plane crash and all this other weird shit, this other extracurricular stuff is nothing"

Extending out the Brody arc for 3 full seasons and then just pivoting to something else entirely for another 5 seasons was certainly a choice. I watched them all and don't remember thinking "this is bad", but I also can't remember a single storyline post season 3.
The fact that Brody went passed the first season was absurd and as much as I love Damian Lewis as an actor, they should have pivoted after season one.

We gave up when the Brody storyline ended. I really loved those early seasons, but just did not have interest in any more

Back