Television

There's a part of me that wonders
whether the "real life people" are more in on it than we expect. I had the inkling that maybe the mother/wife (Angela?) was an actress, then humored myself on the idea that everyone onscreen is a hired actor and knows what they're in on. I could totally see a reveal where, for example, the people taking the fake acting class are all hired actors/extras deliberately playing students in a fake acting class.
Yeah, that’s where I’m getting the Synecdoche, NY vibes. The main conceit of the show is trying to predict and prepare for all outcomes and Nathan keeps folding that premise in on itself creating more and more layers.

There's a part of me that wonders
whether the "real life people" are more in on it than we expect. I had the inkling that maybe the mother/wife (Angela?) was an actress, then humored myself on the idea that everyone onscreen is a hired actor and knows what they're in on. I could totally see a reveal where, for example, the people taking the fake acting class are all hired actors/extras deliberately playing students in a fake acting class.
that is what I really started thinking in the last episode.

So Better Call Saul has one episode left. It wasn't until last night's that I started feeling good about how I think it might end. It all seems to be pointing to a certain conclusion, and how it's progressed over the last few eps has been a nice slow build. At first I thought it felt slightly lacking, but now I don't see it that way.

So Better Call Saul has one episode left. It wasn't until last night's that I started feeling good about how I think it might end. It all seems to be pointing to a certain conclusion, and how it's progressed over the last few eps has been a nice slow build. At first I thought it felt slightly lacking, but now I don't see it that way.
I've been loving these last couple episodes. It seems some people aren't as enamored with the show as it wraps, but I feel like it's been close to perfect.

A thought about the ending and Barry comparison....and other thoughts too.

The showrunners in Barry did something similar, where they turn the guy you (may) have been rooting for into more (even more?) of a monster. By the end of the show Barry, I felt like Barry got what he deserved, and I think that will happen here too. My guess is that Saul tries to escape via the vacuum salesguy and gets caught.

I've already heard differing opinions on the scene with Jesse and Kim. Like, it was either brilliant or a waste of time. I liked it; it combined worlds of BB and BCS at a perfect junction point. Jesse and company are just getting into Saul's world and Kim exits it.

Carol was awesome in that scene that she outed Gene/Saul. She had a great terrified meets disappointed look...she nailed it.

One more thing. my initial thought was that Jeff crashed the car on purpose to pull the cops away from the house, not just a dumb or careless accident.

I am prefacing this by saying that I really enjoy the Sandman and I cannot wait to get back into it.

I started watching the first episode, but I was so tired from yesterday that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I though it was sort of funny that the Sandman put me to sleep. That is all.
I actually like that it has a slower more subdued pace. It fits the atmosphere, and I'm kind of sick of people rushing things.

I actually like that it has a slower more subdued pace. It fits the atmosphere, and I'm kind of sick of people rushing things.
Me too. I really like a more subtle story that takes it's time to unwind. Like I said, I can't wait to get back into it because it's really good. Last night was just not my night.

I've been loving these last couple episodes. It seems some people aren't as enamored with the show as it wraps, but I feel like it's been close to perfect.

The showrunners in Barry did something similar, where they turn the guy you (may) have been rooting for into more (even more?) of a monster. By the end of the show Barry, I felt like Barry got what he deserved, and I think that will happen here too. My guess is that Saul tries to escape via the vacuum salesguy and gets caught.

I've already heard differing opinions on the scene with Jesse and Kim. Like, it was either brilliant or a waste of time. I liked it; it combined worlds of BB and BCS at a perfect junction point. Jesse and company are just getting into Saul's world and Kim exits it.

Carol was awesome in that scene that she outed Gene/Saul. She had a great terrified meets disappointed look...she nailed it.

One more thing. my initial thought was that Jeff crashed the car on purpose to pull the cops away from the house, not just a dumb or careless accident.
I did find the Jesse scene a little extraneous; not bad, just a bit lacking. I read somewhere that they shot those cameos about a year ago, while they were filming the first couple episodes of the season; I do get a feeling from a lot of the BB-era scenes that they didn’t 100% know what they’d be sandwiching those scenes between. The Jesse scene felt most that way, imo. Plus, I think Aaron Paul evolved the character so much over the course of BB that it’s hard to go back to the season-two version. Having a guy in his early 40s play a late teen is always going to be a bit “hello fellow students.”

I am prefacing this by saying that I really enjoy the Sandman and I cannot wait to get back into it.

I started watching the first episode, but I was so tired from yesterday that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I though it was sort of funny that the Sandman put me to sleep. That is all.

I fell asleep during episode 7 last night and also chuckled about it.

I did find the Jesse scene a little extraneous; not bad, just a bit lacking. I read somewhere that they shot those cameos about a year ago, while they were filming the first couple episodes of the season; I do get a feeling from a lot of the BB-era scenes that they didn’t 100% know what they’d be sandwiching those scenes between. The Jesse scene felt most that way, imo. Plus, I think Aaron Paul evolved the character so much over the course of BB that it’s hard to go back to the season-two version. Having a guy in his early 40s play a late teen is always going to be a bit “hello fellow students.”
Yeah, that's a good point...and 'hello fellow students' is hilariously accurate. But I still like the timing of the scene in the series.
I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion but I'll miss this show a lot.

Hmmm, I guess none of this reply needed to be in spoiler tags.

Yeah, I did two in one setting and felt like that was a lot.
I'm on the edge of my seat about the final third of the season. From Vox, regarding episodes 5 & 6:
HBO gave critics the first five episodes of the show but not the sixth, which suggests some subterfuge. Each episode has a moment (or moments!) where you can feel the rug pulled out from under you, and something you assumed was true suddenly becomes a fabrication. (Next week’s episode has such a moment, and it took my breath away.)
Whatever is going on here, I assume this can't stretch over multiple seasons. Fielder has to remain under the radar to pull off the kinds of things he's doing, but paradoxically the more ambitious & successful the project, the more notoriety he gets.

yes exactly that. At first I was feeling myself rooting for Saul, but watching the new ep, I realized oh wait he actually does suck a lot of the time. I think the Barry comparison is spot on. Because at certain points you could feel yourself rooting for Barry but they really put a stop to it in the latest season.

Saul isn’t as extreme obviously, but you see how Kim responds to the situations and how Saul does. And they wind up being more unlike than they are alike, despite having some obvious similarities. Saul at this point doesn’t deserve to get away with it, and I don’t think he will.

I am happy Kim is doing okay, albeit bored? The Jesse scene initially felt kind of pointless to me, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. She is definitely coming back into Saul’s life very briefly as things are ramping up for the worse. It shows her safety, and how close she was to note danger.

I am happy Kim is doing okay, albeit bored?
I do not agree with this take. She was so guilt stricken and the call from Jimmy sent her into complete despair. She turns herself in and confesses her part in what happened to Howard and breaks down sobbing alone on a bus.

I think they are setting the finale up for one last reunion between Kim and Jimmy I am just wondering what will be the end game for them, Do they reunite and move to Bolivia conning tourist? Or more likely, Kim rats Jimmy out to the Feds and goes to prison for a long time. It could be anything.

Also, I think Jimmy is just as bored as Kim, I think on at least a subconscious level that is why he got sloppy and continued to push things further and further. Surviving wasn’t enough. Jimmy has a self-destructive streak. He lets Carol Burnett call the Police partially because he is still Jimmy at heart and couldn’t bring himself to physically harm her but also because a part of him wants to get caught.

I do not agree with this take. She was so guilt stricken and the call from Jimmy sent her into complete despair. She turns herself in and confesses her part in what happened to Howard and breaks down sobbing alone on a bus.

I think they are setting the finale up for one last reunion between Kim and Jimmy I am just wondering what will be the end game for them, Do they reunite and move to Bolivia conning tourist? Or more likely, Kim rats Jimmy out to the Feds and goes to prison for a long time. It could be anything.

Also, I think Jimmy is just as bored as Kim, I think on at least a subconscious level that is why he got sloppy and continued to push things further and further. Surviving wasn’t enough. Jimmy has a self-destructive streak. He lets Carol Burnett call the Police partially because he is still Jimmy at heart and couldn’t bring himself to physically harm her but also because a part of him wants to get caught.
Fine for me meant not dead. I just mean, going into the final season feeling worried about her fate. But it turns out it's not as horrible as I imagined.

One thing I really appreciate about the final episodes of Better Call Saul, comparing it with Breaking Bad-

BB made it clear Walt is a monster that ruins people's lives, but they always had a worse enemy for him to face, so even while you recognized that, as a viewer you can't help but root for him (I mean, in they end they were literal Neo-Nazis!). By taking Lalo out before the final episodes, in BCS we're left with just Jimmy Saul Gene, and we can't root for him at all while he's holding a phone cord like a garrote and walking up to an old woman. It amplifies the effect of the moral ruination not to have him looking better compared to someone else.

Didn't they just raise their rates less than a year ago!?
I've heard of someone doing this, maybe even on this forum, where they cycle which streaming service they have month to month. So cancel all of them but one, and then binge whatever you want to see on the one you have. I'm considering it now that I'm paying for like, 5 different ones.

Back